Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Win8 POP mail back door.  (Read 4787 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2013, 08:38:41 PM »

If you use Win 8 much for Email you know that Microsoft does not natively support POP Email with it. It only supports IMAP. For those with with POP only E-mail accounts this can be a problem unless you use a add on client but there is a back door solution here. Go to Outlook.com and create a free IMAP account. Outlook.com lets you then "map" a POP account(s) transparently through that account to be natively accessed from WIN 8. You can receive and send mail through those accounts and they show no trace on being mapped through Outlook to end user and look as though they were sent directly from the mapped account. Works pretty slick. 

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 04:52:33 AM »

Gmail and Thunderbird (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/ ) will let you use your POP accounts without becoming a Microsoft statistic and avoiding any dependence on what Microsoft may or may not decide to stay compatible with.

Of course POP account users haven't exactly been waiting for MS to intoduce outlook.com in order to use email Smiley

Just sayin'
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 07:22:44 AM »

Gmail and Thunderbird (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/ ) will let you use your POP accounts without becoming a Microsoft statistic and avoiding any dependence on what Microsoft may or may not decide to stay compatible with.

Of course POP account users haven't exactly been waiting for MS to intoduce outlook.com in order to use email Smiley

Just sayin'

Well Thunderbird will not support POP on Win 8 and POP like XP is dying. IMAP by design allows for sharing Email account data among several devices transparently.  Smart phones by default prefer IMAP when available. When you send a message from a IMAP device you will see that message on other devices that use that account. Kinda like Web Mail without the Web.

BTW Microsoft is going to phase out hotmail overtime and replace it with Outlook. They also plan to combine Outook with Skype (which they bought a few years ago) to make a total (text chat, Email and video chat)  messaging service.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 08:20:40 AM by W8JX » Logged

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
N5XH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 11:43:14 AM »

Well Thunderbird will not support POP on Win 8

Wrong.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 01:15:47 PM »

Actually not I tried it and it does not support it. Supports IMAP fine though. There are apps that do under WIN 8 but then it defeats purpose of WIN 8 being able to get mail while sleeping with its native app. Outlook mapping works very good.

N5XH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 04:44:08 PM »

Thunderbird works peachy keen on Win8, same as on all versions of Windows for the past many years.  I use it on Win8 every day, many times per day, with 5 POP accounts and 3 IMAP.   

The operating system has absolutely nothing to do with what protocols any given Internet client supports, nothing at all.  It's all up to the client software,-- in this case, the email reader. 

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 06:27:48 PM »

The operating system has absolutely nothing to do with what protocols any given Internet client supports, nothing at all.  It's all up to the client software,-- in this case, the email reader. 

I theory yes but, if OS does not support the protocol and ports needed it would not in theory. On Thunderbird, it refused to work with POP on a 64bit Win 8 system I tried it on but a few other clients did fine. One that I liked most of them was Sylpheed ver 3.4 beta 3. Lot of power user features. Reminds me of a old mail program i used for many years, PM Mail which had roots in OS2.  I still like Outlook 2007 and 2010 though. Have not used latest version.   

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 12:38:22 AM »

Thunderbird works peachy keen on Win8, same as on all versions of Windows for the past many years.  I use it on Win8 every day, many times per day, with 5 POP accounts and 3 IMAP.   

Obviously you have a defective version on your hands because according to JX "it doesn't work".
Please fix your machine so it doesn't work as claimed Smiley

As for the OS having nothing to do with it: shhhhh you are spoiling the fun Smiley

N5XH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 05:06:26 AM »

Obviously you have a defective version on your hands because according to JX "it doesn't work".

Smiley   I might need a bigger hammer....   Smiley
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 07:40:40 AM »

Smiley   I might need a bigger hammer....   Smiley

Not a bigger hammer, The down loaded version of Thunderbird I had did not work with POP which I thought was strange. Did not show option to leave messages on server either.

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 08:03:41 AM »

I theory yes but, if OS does not support the protocol and ports needed it would not in theory. On Thunderbird, it refused to work with POP on a 64bit Win 8 system I tried it on but a few other clients did fine. One that I liked most of them was Sylpheed ver 3.4 beta 3. Lot of power user features. Reminds me of a old mail program i used for many years, PM Mail which had roots in OS2.  I still like Outlook 2007 and 2010 though. Have not used latest version.   

Firewall blocking the POP port?? 

Windows 8 allow communication over the POP port which is typically port 110. Sending would require port SMTP port 25 or 587 depending on what the mail servers allows for incoming SMTP traffic on.  All operating systems today support those ports.  Built in Firewalls might block some of them but that's another thing.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 09:36:04 AM »

Firewall blocking the POP port?? 

Windows 8 allow communication over the POP port which is typically port 110. Sending would require port SMTP port 25 or 587 depending on what the mail servers allows for incoming SMTP traffic on.  All operating systems today support those ports.  Built in Firewalls might block some of them but that's another thing.

Not really sure what happened but it would not work when I tried it. I am using different ports for some mail.

N5XH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 10:15:37 AM »

(sigh)  You just can't fix stupid. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 10:46:08 AM »

(sigh)  You just can't fix stupid. 

No you cannot fix non standard port use for mail. It is what ever the host sets them to. They do not always follow the norm for some reason. I have used a LOT of clients in last 18 years and this was only one that ever gave me trouble. When I have time I will take another look at it. 

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 04:07:05 AM »

BTW Microsoft is going to phase out hotmail overtime and replace it with Outlook. They also plan to combine Outook with Skype (which they bought a few years ago) to make a total (text chat, Email and video chat)  messaging service.

Hotmail services have already been ended according to the news release from Microsoft a week or two ago.  The thing I find interesting is that the 'live' e-mail service is still running, and all that was supposed to be was an extension of hotmail.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: