The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody tried morsefusion.com?  (Read 4823 times)
KB1WSY

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2013, 03:39:56 AM »

Has anyone tried this one:

http://morsefusion.com/

It purports to teach a "non-writing" method such that you recognize the words without having to write them down. This is done right off the bat, unlike other methods where you don't get to "head copy" until the advanced stage. As far as I can tell, a paid subscription is compulsory.

It's too late for me: I am about three quarters of the way through learning the code using the Koch kethod, successfully, albeit with some job-induced lapses. I'm just curious to know about this new "morsefusion" method. It couldn't be more different from Koch, when you consider that Koch consists entirely of nonsense groups of characters, rather than recognizable words.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 06:24:59 AM »

OK, I learned CW like 36 years ago at age 9. Back then it was pretty traditional... copying to paper first, and only after much on-air practice did copying-in-head become likely. I personally don't think anything short of extensive QSO's (be they simulated QSO's or real QSO's) get you to full in-head copy.

Of course today we can copy to keyboard with any morse practice program. This could be another layer of difficutly for someone without typing skills!

That said, copying random character groups is a rather different skill than following a conversational QSO although they share a lot in common. When I got into contesting 4-5 years ago, I discovered RufZXP which was great for recognizing callsigns in-head, which is yet a third skill (callsigns are not completely random - there are patterns, but then again there are exceptions to the patterns too!).
KC3BKJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 11:27:32 AM »

I just wrote an eHam searchable review on Morse Fusion.

KC3BKJ
N4SRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 01:52:37 PM »

I'm working my way along with MorseFusion at 15wpm, listening to a story read letter by letter with e, t, a, o, i, n code replacing those letters. I am sometimes surprised that I can hear a long word like "intention" in code and not think of the sequence of dits/dahs, or even the letters, but just hear the word.

While I started out with 2x15min sessions daily driving or on the cardio machine at the gym, I got the advice in this sub forum to find a quiet place to focus. And it helps. Even with my Bose QuietComfort 20 noise-canceling earbuds in, I lose it when I can still hear others talking & laughing. As I was advised, the better the isolation, the better my learning.

Bret/N4SRN
Bedford, NH  USA
KE0EFX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 03:58:40 PM »

Has anyone tried this one:

http://morsefusion.com/

It purports to teach a "non-writing" method such that you recognize the words without having to write them down. This is done right off the bat, unlike other methods where you don't get to "head copy" until the advanced stage. As far as I can tell, a paid subscription is compulsory.

It's too late for me: I am about three quarters of the way through learning the code using the Koch kethod, successfully, albeit with some job-induced lapses. I'm just curious to know about this new "morsefusion" method. It couldn't be more different from Koch, when you consider that Koch consists entirely of nonsense groups of characters, rather than recognizable words.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY

Hey Martin!  I was just thinking about your homebrew projects while reading over a W7UUU thread elsewhere.  I haven't looked at morsefusion yet but I'm going to read the review mentioned above.  I use MorseNews quite often and listen to news headlines in morse.  I maybe get half of it, if I'm lucky, but even a little better everyday is still better.

Is life settling down for you lately to allow you time to do more homebrew experiment/project threads?  I know I learned a lot from your projects and miss reading about them.

73 de Scott, KE0EFX
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 04:30:33 PM »

Is life settling down for you lately to allow you time to do more homebrew experiment/project threads?<<

No, unfortunately. Professional life is good, but way too busy for hobbies. No CW, no ham radio, and the nearest thing to anything fun was earlier this year when I finally finished building an operational two-tube shirt-pocket subminiature tube AM radio which is still working great, although its sensitivity is very low, partly because the built-in ferrite-rod antenna is very small. It works great in places like New York City that are bathed in strong AM signals. Not much connection with ham radio, but better than nothing. The 1.2v filaments run off a single AAA NiMh battery, and the B+ is from two A23 batteries in series providing 24v (these are small batteries typically used in the remote controls for garage-door openers).

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 04:37:24 PM »

Last I saw, you were digging trenches on rental property. What ever came of that?
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 04:46:33 PM »

Last I saw, you were digging trenches on rental property. What ever came of that?

It is finished. The underground conduit (1-inch pvc pipe) to the edge of the property is buried and ready for further work i.e. the installation of the antenna itself in the trees that are on the property boundary line. Only lack of time has stalled the completion of the project.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 04:54:52 PM »

I haven't been active radio wise. Other interests that require funding keep coming up.

Would like to learn Morse some day, if I ever get serious enough to set up a study schedule.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: