The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harsh CW tone emanating from K1  (Read 3710 times)
KD9BWS

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2016, 03:35:20 PM »

I wanted to test my radio out before trying to go on the air.  I have an Elecraft K1 and when practicing my sending the tone sounds great at 700hz.  However, I set my output to .1 watts and checked to see how it sounded by sending a few dits and dahs on what I hoped was an unused frequency on 40m.  I was listening on a Tecsun PL-660 and it sounded really harsh.  Could there be something wrong with my radio or is it that I was too close to the transceiver and my sw receiver was overloading?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I would like to get on the air at my meager 10wpm but am afraid to if my radio isn't working properly.   I bought it used from an older ham who upgraded to a KX3.

Jerry
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 06:36:08 PM »

The Tecsun is, ahem, not known for having good strong-signal handling ability. I'm the K1 is fine, get on the air and ask for an honest signal report.
KD9BWS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 08:12:05 PM »

The Tecsun is, ahem, not known for having good strong-signal handling ability. I'm the K1 is fine, get on the air and ask for an honest signal report.

You're probably right.  I still like the Tecsun though.  I cleaned the contacts up on my key and that in turn cleaned up the harshness of the tone quite a bit.  Not 100%, but good enough.  I'm probably ready to get on the air, but I am my worst critic.  Thank you for responding.  Your advice is appreciated. 
VE3HIX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 06:59:21 AM »

You might try directly grounding the chassis of the transmitter, as this sometimes takes out the transmitted noise. If you want to listen to your transmitted signal, try receiving your test transmission on one of the many online SDR radios. The waterfall display and audio that comes back through the internet indicates what others will hear, and shows the purity and strength of your signal.

Cheers,
Bob
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 02:44:53 PM »

See if you can make it buzz, chirp, adds character and stands out in pile ups!

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
KD9BWS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 05:44:47 PM »

You might try directly grounding the chassis of the transmitter, as this sometimes takes out the transmitted noise. If you want to listen to your transmitted signal, try receiving your test transmission on one of the many online SDR radios. The waterfall display and audio that comes back through the internet indicates what others will hear, and shows the purity and strength of your signal.

Cheers,
Bob

I think I will just try getting on the air.  Hopefully it all sounds good.  I almost did today but two things happened. The wx was calling for thundershowers and I didn't want to get my equipment set up.  And listening to some slow code I was missing a bunch of characters and I figure I need more listening practice.

I will be operating out of my semi-tractor and all I have is a 40 meter hamtenna from MFJ to operate with unless I get to an area that has trees to throw up a wire and a place to sit down.  Most truck stops do not, unfortunately. 
KD9BWS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 05:48:51 PM »

See if you can make it buzz, chirp, adds character and stands out in pile ups!

I'm sure that my amateur fist and will make me stand out enough.  Tongue
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 04:15:41 AM »

Move your Tecsun outside 20 or 30 ft. away from your shack window and turn up the volume or try another receiver. I do this when adjusting my K1 using an old Sony IFC 7600D.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 06:19:20 PM »

Use the smallest piece wire that will allow pickup.  Sometimes a small screwdriver in the rx so239 is enough. works for me...   Grin
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:22:18 PM by AC2EU » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: