Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Frequency": You gotta check this movie  (Read 5184 times)
KL0PE

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2001, 10:36:13 PM »

My wife and I just finished watching the movie "Frequency" and it is a very cool film.  For those of you unfamiliar with it, it prominently features amateur radio, just not in the traditional sense.  For those who haven't seen it I won't spoil it for you, but I can say that it has the most captivating dialog only scenes I have ever seen, and the ending had me on the edge of my seat asking, "What's going to happey?"

A very cool movie.  I highly recommend it to hams and non-hams, but hams will have fun with all the inside jokes.

My favorite line of the film:  "We must be talking on the biggest mother of a sunspot!"
KC8JRV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2001, 10:29:56 PM »

Yes, I've rented the VHS version, with some idea of what was to happen.  This is a time-travel story along the lines of "What would happen if you could meet your father or grandfather and warn him/tell him of the things that were to come in his future..." Would you? Should you?  What about unintended side effects?
YES the movie asks us to suspend our disbelief, but paints HAM radio in a VERY favorable light. It is a touching, thoughtful story with a tremendous sense of urgency, mystery and "what will happen next?"  "How will they solve this problem?"  An edge of the seat thriller.  You'll like it.

Better yet, rent it for your next "club picnic" and watch it together as a group!!! You'll all enjoy it, discover it at the same time, and be talking about it all night!  Good PR for Hams and not too preachy!
PA3GOS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 04:07:12 PM »

What about a reply after twelve years....

I've seen this movie at least ten times. A "must have seen" for any ham.
Not being a movie fan, this is just about my all time favorite. Probably along with "The Dish".

Sorry for responding to an almost ancient topic but I just can't help myself....

73, Tjalling PA3GOS
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »

Man!  Talk about "LDEs"! Grin

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 04:27:35 PM »

Interesting to think about how the dominant movie delivery technology has changed since this message was originally posted:

Circa 2001:  VHS tape

In between:  DVD

Now in 2013:  On-line streaming (aka Netflix)

So, I wonder if someone gives life to this thread again in 2023, what will be the dominant technology then?
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 01:36:08 AM »

If you want to practice your French, try an even older (1957) movie. It starts by saying that there are 200,000 radio amateurs in the world, so you can see its age! Nice shot in one place of a pre WW2 HRO with a nickel plated dial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW1IioFuYwQ

Title is 'Si tous les Gars du Monde....' - 'If all the stations in the world...', although the English subtitled version (which I can't find on the web) is called 'Race for Life'.
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 01:28:39 PM »

Interesting to think about how the dominant movie delivery technology has changed since this message was originally posted:

... in 2023, what will be the dominant technology then?

Google Glass will be long forgotten, and to see a movie, you just will it (after they willed the fee from your cloud).

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
KK4JJF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 06:54:06 AM »

Circa 2001:  VHS tape

In between:  DVD

Now in 2013:  On-line streaming (aka Netflix)

So, I wonder if someone gives life to this thread again in 2023, what will be the dominant technology then?

If you found this on Netflix, I'd love to know how. I wasn't able to find it when I looked last month.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 10:57:22 PM »

Actually, Netflix was just an example.  I own a DVD version of this movie and it is available on DVD in Netflix but maybe not streaming.  I am a Netflix subscriber with DVD and streaming service.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 06:09:39 AM »

The movie Frequency portrays illegal operation.
N7BMW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 09:56:23 AM »

So what?  It is fiction.
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 10:03:48 AM »

So what?  It is fiction.

Think of the children!
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 06:39:07 PM »

Many movies portray illegal activities.  So what?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: