Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Onstar Antenna Reuse for VHF/UHF  (Read 1771 times)
W3AGT

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2013, 02:12:03 AM »

I don't know what frequency the Onstar antenna is configured for but I was wondering if someone knew whether it could be used as an antenna for a QRP HT on VHF/UHF.

I am the King of My Castle When the Queen Lets Me
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 04:49:57 AM »

What an OnStar antenna consists of is a cellular phone antenna and an active GPS antenna combined in one housing.  Neither of these will work for Amateur VHF/UHF.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 06:09:24 AM »

The OnStar system combines the features and services of the Global Positioning System (GPS) and Cellular/Mobile telephone/data networks, first developed in 1970s and deployed in 1980s.

OnStar originally used the Analog Cellular network (800 MHz, AMPS) in the United States.

OnStar migrated to the Digital Cellular network (800 MHz, CDMA),
as most of the original AMPS network was turned off in the United States on Febuary 18, 2008.
Today, GSM and CDMA and their derived follow-ons are the predominate networks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Mobile_Phone_System

The GPS Receiver in your automobile operates in the "L-band".  
There is NO transmit capability in this GPS usage band.
Specifically:

L1   1575.42 MHz   Coarse-acquisition (C/A) and encrypted precision (P(Y)) codes, plus the L1 civilian (L1C) and military (M) codes on future Block III satellites.
L2   1227.60 MHz   P(Y) code, plus the L2C and military codes on the Block IIR-M and newer satellites.
L3   1381.05 MHz   Used for nuclear detonation (NUDET) detection.
L4   1379.913 MHz   Being studied for additional ionospheric correction.[citation needed]
L5   1176.45 MHz   Proposed for use as a civilian safety-of-life (SoL) signal.

===
The Sirius / XM satellite radio in your automobile operates in the "S-band" frequencies.
These services were allocated 25 MHz of bandwidth in 1990s, with rollout of services in late 2001.

The Sirius/XM service is received from satellites in Earth orbit as well as Ground transmitters in heavy populated areas (skyscrapers or terrain that would block the satellite signal).

Sirius Radio: 2,332.50 to 2,345 MHz
XM Radio:  2,320 to 2,332.50 MHz

===
Amateur Radio has frequency allocations at 1200 MHz, and shared allocations (ISM) at 900 MHz and at 2,400 MHz adjacent to WiFi 802.11b computer networks.

Despite attempts by Japanese radio manufacturers in early 1990s to expand US radio amateurs into these allocations .... majority of USA amateurs did not move to the microwaves (> 1 GHz) with the larger radio communications and computer network industries.
Antenna manufacturers have largely moved their new product manufacturing to 700 MHz and higher frequencies.  
Commercial VHF/UHF products are historical artifacts of the 1950-1980 development period.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:35:08 AM by W9GB » Logged
W3AGT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 07:04:27 AM »

Thanks for the responses. Appreciate the details.
Best,

Al
W3AGT

I am the King of My Castle When the Queen Lets Me
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 08:15:17 PM »

Antenna manufacturers have largely moved their new product manufacturing to 700 MHz and higher frequencies.

You'd better let Comscope, Andrew, Larsen and a few others know about that!  They're "apparently" wasting a lot of manpower marketing (apparently) unsellable products!

Commercial VHF/UHF products are historical artifacts of the 1950-1980 development period.

You mean all those rural communities throughout this country are communicating on ARTIFACTS?  Gee!  I thought they were communicating on VIABLE and RELIABLE (take note, new technology!) two way radios!

Forgive me if I seem presumptuous but I can't resist asking the question, "which radio manufacturer signs YOUR paycheck"?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: