Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: May be in the market for a dual band HT for sats.... Wouxon or Baofeng??  (Read 2819 times)
W4HIJ

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2013, 04:52:49 PM »

Probably like asking Chevy or Ford but here goes.  I don't have a lot of money to spend but I'm thinking of getting a new HT for sats. I'll be limited to SO-50 of course but hopefully I won't have to wait too long for the new birds. I've been looking at the Baofeng because the price is attractive but I have to admit they " scare" me. It seems to be a crapshoot which firmware you get and all the different version out there and different prices are confusing.  One place wants 60 bucks plus 8 bucks shipping for a "USA" version called the F-11 even though the link says UV5-R. Amazon and countless other dealers I've never heard of have them for sale right in the 40 buck range. I'm also curious what the UHF output power on these radios are. The power out is listed as "4/1" Not sure whether that means 4 watts high and 1 watt low or 4 watts VHF and one watt UHF. Anybody suggest a reputable dealer where I can be sure of what I'm buying?
My other option would be the Wouxon radios. Yes, they are more money but they seem more "stabilized and consistent" as far as the models available. Of course, then I end up asking myself if it's worth the extra money, that I could be spending other ways, to get peace of mind about what I'm buying.
I have an old Alinco 2 meter HT that I can use also so I can operate full duplex, I won't operate sats any other way, but of course I need something for 70 cm as well.
Any thoughts and insight would be greatly appreciated.
Michael, W4HIJ
W5PFG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 12:31:52 PM »

I have two Baofengs.  They work great for SO-50.  I can copy the bird nearly from AOS to LOS.  Mine are the UV-3R models.  By no means are they my "go-to" satellite radios but they are neat toys.  If you were using them for uplink I'd say forget it.  With all the new stations on SO-50 these days QRM'ing and calling CQ, you need all the power you can get!
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 12:59:43 PM »

I have two Baofengs.  They work great for SO-50.  I can copy the bird nearly from AOS to LOS.  Mine are the UV-3R models.  By no means are they my "go-to" satellite radios but they are neat toys.  If you were using them for uplink I'd say forget it.  With all the new stations on SO-50 these days QRM'ing and calling CQ, you need all the power you can get!
The Alinco DJ F1T I have is a 5 watt radio and I have the capability to have AZ and El control of my antennas although I don't think I'll install the elevation rotator at present. I may just do the portable camera tripod deal out on my deck but I've never been a big fan of that. If everyone would operate full duplex as they should the QRM would be greatly reduced. I know there aren't many full duplex radios around anymore but with the price of the radios we are talking about, anyone should be abler to get a second one to allow them to do full duplex.
Michael, W4HIJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: