Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YI1RZ Iraq  (Read 6201 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2013, 03:50:28 PM »

Ok, I know this is old hat for most of you guys, but I finally tracked down Razi before his pile up was too nasty.  ATNO!!!!!  My poor Alpha 76 needs to rest now.  Legal limit RTTY isn't exactly what it was designed for   Shocked

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 03:58:55 PM »

Congrats on the new one. An alpha should easily handle 1500W RTTY. See the Dayton display where they quite literally have a brick on a key all weekend long (running into a dummy load). I run my Ameritron in big RTTY pileups for hours, sometimes, trying to get a new one on Digital and it never complains either.

Razi also QSLs via LoTW, so that should be an easy one to get confirmed within a short period.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:21:40 PM »

I saw that he uploaded yesterday so hopefully by tomorrow morning I will see it.

The brick on a key thing is nice, when it is someone else's amp, but when you are footing the bill for the tubes, you gotta wonder. I added a 120v muffin fan on the back to help cool the power supply so I think in theory I am ok. I just hate treating my amp like a redheaded step child.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 06:10:33 PM »

Any of you guys know what his operating schedule is like for CW or SSB???.....I have been yearning for and Iraq qso since the friggin gulf war....

V
KA3NRX
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 06:38:38 PM »

Any of you guys know what his operating schedule is like for CW or SSB???.....I have been yearning for and Iraq qso since the friggin gulf war....

V
KA3NRX

His schedule is strange. I've been trying to figure it out for a long time. He will get very active for a few weeks then seemingly drop off the face of the earth. He seems to get mode preferences, the. Get tired of them and move on. Right now and for a while, it's been RTTY. Your best bet is to set an alarm for him. He gets busy in a hurry.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 06:51:53 PM »

V
KA3NRX

Hey Vince..... where were you in April of 2010, when Paul, N6PSE, and the Intrepid group activated Iraq (YI9PSE)? I don't know how many QSOs they had, but it was a bunch.

FYI: I also have Razi, whom I worked last year.

SO...... why the hell cant I hear Pakistan and/or Iran??  Grrrr!!  When spotted, they are always very very weak as well as carrying a biggggg pile. Huh  (Or working RTTY, which I don't do.)

Oh well, someday....... Cool
Good Luck........ Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 07:28:42 PM by AF3Y » Logged
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 07:26:53 PM »

V
KA3NRX

He was just spotted on 20m SSB by someone in NY.  GL.

Jonathan W6GX
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 08:21:31 PM »

I am too tired to go play in another pile up. I wish I had seen this before I took my evening pain medicine. Stupid knee.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 03:51:50 AM »

V
KA3NRX

He was just spotted on 20m SSB by someone in NY.  GL.

Jonathan W6GX

Yep....Using RTTY....I don't do RTTY

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 03:53:16 AM »

V
KA3NRX

Hey Vince..... where were you in April of 2010, when Paul, N6PSE, and the Intrepid group activated Iraq (YI9PSE)? I don't know how many QSOs they had, but it was a bunch.

Good Luck........ Gene AF3Y

Geno...Listened for them...Conditions sucked....could not hear them....broken hearted once again....but yes, I am used to it.....

V

KA3NRX
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 04:08:22 AM »

Yep....Using RTTY....I don't do RTTY

Don't worry, YI1RZ is active on both modes, CW *and* RTTY. And credit in LOTW in just hours after each band/mode combination. No big pileups, on RTTY last night he wasn't even running split.
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 05:49:13 AM »

No big pileups, on RTTY last night he wasn't even running split.

He was on 17m RTTY on Saturday. When simplex got too painful he went split ... listening up 400 Hz! At least everyone could see him better but it was still a mess on his end. I tried working him off and on and eventually got through. Yesterday he was on 15m RTTY simplex. I made a couple of calls and then quit. I already have him on several bands/modes and I have better things to do.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 05:52:29 AM »

No big pileups, on RTTY last night he wasn't even running split.

He was on 17m RTTY on Saturday. When simplex got too painful he went split ... listening up 400 Hz! At least everyone could see him better but it was still a mess on his end. I tried working him off and on and eventually got through. Yesterday he was on 15m RTTY simplex. I made a couple of calls and then quit. I already have him on several bands/modes and I have better things to do.

I am one of those crazy all modes, all bands people. So I am going to have to keep trying.  I wish he would let the pile spread out more.  When everyone is 400hz up,it takes the skill out of it.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 02:46:56 PM »

The QSO I now uploaded to LoTW.  Great stuff!

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 04:41:27 AM »

Razi was on 20m RTTY again last night.

Not many calling, and I had to run into town anyway, so I threw the laptop in the pickup and headed out.

There is a nice hilltop on the way where I can pull off the road (the wife didn't want to drive me to town while I played radio, go figure) and it took a bit with the qsb, but finally got him for a new one /m.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: