Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Watt meter  (Read 5878 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2013, 08:55:19 AM »

I need to get a watt/SWR meter for my station. I have a bird currently but I dislike the annoyance of having to change, flip and fuss with slugs. I don't plan on selling it, as I like having a reference.

My requirements are legal limit+ 160m-6m and being able to un-key my amp if catastrophic failure happens.

I kind of want the W2 to match my K3 but wonder if there are others in that price range that would suit me better

I really want to keep it under $400.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 11:14:44 AM »

You may want to check out the Autek Research WM1.  I believe it is only rated for 100 watts on 6 meters though.

Vince
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 01:20:53 PM »

Palstar makes two different models - one with the detector inside and one with an outboard detector (they call it a mobile) with a mounting bracket.

I had the mobile type but used it indoors with the detector at the wall interface.
They feature a Peak Hold function that will hold the peak for 2 seconds which I use all the time. It allows me to check my output after I have unkeyed. 

They are listed on the Palstar website under Palstar Accessories for $179.95 each.

I only sold mine when I got a Palstar tuner that has all the same functions as the meters, albeit without the remote detector.

Clint - W5CPT -
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 02:00:48 PM »

Decided to go with the Elecraft W2. It matches my K3 and matches the repaint job on my Alpha 76a.

I liked the Autek's price, but it looked like some of my early homebrew projects.  I hope I will be happy. I really wanted a Telepost LP-100 but there was no way spending that kind of coin on a watt meter.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 08:52:09 AM »

Decided to go with the Elecraft W2. It matches my K3 and matches the repaint job on my Alpha 76a.

I liked the Autek's price, but it looked like some of my early homebrew projects. 

I wish my homebrew projects looked so nice.  Smiley  The Autek actually looks much better in person than in the manufacturer's photos.  Hope you enjoy the W2.

Vince
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 08:22:08 AM »

I liked the Autek's price, but it looked like some of my early homebrew projects. 

I wish my homebrew projects looked so nice.  Smiley  The Autek actually looks much better in person than in the manufacturer's photos.  Hope you enjoy the W2.

It should be here Monday. Shipping from California to EN-71 apparently takes a long time. My first impression is, that they charge an arm and a leg for shipping. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 07:32:35 PM »

I need to get a watt/SWR meter for my station. I have a bird currently but I dislike the annoyance of having to change, flip and fuss with slugs. I don't plan on selling it, as I like having a reference.

My requirements are legal limit+ 160m-6m and being able to un-key my amp if catastrophic failure happens.

I kind of want the W2 to match my K3 but wonder if there are others in that price range that would suit me better

I really like the Elecraft W2 wattmeter. It is the wattmeter I have wanted to build for years - I find it works very well.

George
K5TR
K4XZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 10:28:18 AM »

I have a Bird 43. I also run an Amertron AWM -30 in the shack. It works for what I need it for. Want a really trick system?
Buy another Bird and run them together! Yes I know It's expensive, but it will sure catch anyones eye when they see your shack. Plus you have the Bird quality. Really whatever works for you is OK. Good Luck.

Joe Patrick DE K4XZ
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 09:43:22 PM »

I really like the Elecraft W2 wattmeter. It is the wattmeter I have wanted to build for years - I find it works very well.

I posted a review of my build. There are a few things in the kit that I didn't like. The scraping of the paint inside, the misaligned LEDs and ridiculously short power cord could be cheaply fixed. But as far as the assembled system goes, it's wonderful.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 08:31:09 AM »

I really like the LP-100a http://www.telepostinc.com/lp100.html

I had a bird for a while and like you, hated switching slugs, etc. Plus I was always grabbing it for the workbench when I was testing other stuff out. I decided to get one that would just stay in-line. After researching I really liked the LP-100a. Its nice as it's pretty accurate down in the mw range (for stuff like my Rockmite) right up to full legal limit. The bird now stays on the workbench.

James KB2FCV
W5ZL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 06:47:34 PM »

I have both the Array Solutions "Power Master" and the ALPHA-4510 POWER/SWR and I find myself using it in conjunction with my ALPHA-9500.  Since the "Power Master" will handle 6M up to 2KW, I use it when on 6M running a modified SB-221 that will put out Full Legal Limit; but, I normally run it at 1KW PEP. 

Take a look at the features of the ALPHA-4510, I think you will really like it.

Alpha 4510 3KW Wattmeter
QRP TO QRO.  Our Wattmeters can measure from 200 milliwatts full scale to 3 kilowatts full scale, from 160 meters to 10 meters with no slugs!

The Alpha 4510, 3KW Wattmeter represents a revolution in RF power measurement. State of the art integrated circuit technology and innovative design techniques have combined to deliver a mix of features, precision and convenience previously only found in a laboratory-grade power meter. During operation, the 4510 simultaneously measures the frequency of the signal and the internal temperature of the unit, and compensates for those factors in determining measured power. This assures linearity in the accuracy of measured power under changing operating conditions. Internal calibration errors are also further reduced by use of proprietary sampling and differencing techniques.

The 4510 outputs all data to your PC via a serial cable and with the Alpha Wattmeter software allows you to monitor forward power, SWR and reflected power simultaneously.

Price: $745.00

KD2CJJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 05:43:02 AM »

This forum is making me go broke... Just browsing I saw this thread... and pointed me to the LP100 - That is a really really nice meter...  My wife is going to kill me! 

And did you see the new LP500!  Oh man...

Mike
KD2CJJ
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 01:05:28 PM »

I have the Telepost LP100A and it's awesome.  Had it for 3 maybe 4 years now and still going strong and it even matches my K-Line!

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: