Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current propagation?  (Read 2990 times)
W9KDX

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2013, 10:14:21 AM »

I have seen a really good rise in the sunspot numbers and the A scale is still low so things are reasonable quiet.

My question when we might see some of the upper bands opening up.  I know these things are up in the air, but is there any general time span where we need high numbers before we see the benefits?

Thanks

Sam
W9KDX
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 01:51:26 PM »

FWIW I believe this cycle is lagging what would be "normally expected".  I really hope it picks up soon.

73, JP, K8AG
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »

6 meters was open all over the place the other day, I heard stations from ID, NB, lots of the Midwest.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 01:16:35 AM »

If the sn and sfi numbers stay high eg about 180+ for the sfi and the A index and X-ray level drop down along with the solar wind speeds then the bands will be really good. At this point in time the X-ray levels along with solar wind and A are high so the bands are unsettled.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:31:43 AM by KD8MJR » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 04:13:34 AM »

Sam, this is just my own opinion and millions of people would disagree.  But I'd suggest turning to the higher bands and listening carefully, no matter WHAT the SFI or K-index is.  Last week the propagation summary said 15m was "poor" for night, but I listened and found a JA calling CQ all alone.  Weak signal, but I worked him ... and then realized JD1 isn't a JA after all.  :-)  Lately on 15m/12/10m (from here on the east coast) I've been having fun working into the Pacific plus VK/ZL/JA after local sunset, even with so-called "poor" propagation.  It's been great!  Weak signals, yes, but very few American hams are up there trying, so the competition is scarce!  :-)  I've worked more FO's in the last month than in several years put together.  And a bunch of ATNOs, too: P2, FK, KH0 ...

So my own suggestion is not to worry much about what the propagation numbers say, and just LISTEN to the bands!  There's fun to be had!   73!  ken
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 04:54:36 AM »

I agree with AC4RD, you can't always rely on the numbers.  During the low between Cycles 23 and 24 I recall that it seemed like the numbers never changed - 67, 2 and 1 for months and months on end.  All through that time there were days when 20M was stone cold dead and days when there was DX every 3 KHz from top to bottom.  Days when 17M and up seemed deserted but always came alive for the contests.  And yet the numbers never changed - 67, 2 and 1.  The only conclusion I could draw from that was that the numbers don't necessarily mean much unless they are absolutely HUGE.  First rule of DX:  Listen, listen and then listen some more.

Don, K2DC
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 06:51:14 PM »

While I agree with Don and Ken that you do have days when magic happens, it's just luck if you get those openings.  If your question is what conditions are needed for a sure shot opening in the upper bands then you need the kind of conditions I mentioned or preferably even better SFI numbers in the 200s.

Today was interesting in that at 17:00Z I was hearing the Middle East on 14.300 and they where just as loud the maritime net guys. Go back tomorrow and i doubt you will hear them at all.  When Nov, Dec 2011 was in swing I could go to 10m everyday and hear signals from all over the world.
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 08:13:55 AM »

At home the DX is there but not exceptional with 2 el quad.

At top of the mountain with some vertical wire, zillions of DX.  Due to lack of RFI at home QTH that blankets the weaker sigs.

Ignacy, NO9E
VE5EIS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 08:19:37 AM »

6 meters was open all over the place the other day, I heard stations from ID, NB, lots of the Midwest.

New Brunswick isn't anywhere near the Midwest - did you mean Nebraska (NE)?
G4IJE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 06:35:25 AM »

That would have been Sporadic E ("E skip") which is not related to Sunspot numbers or solar flux. In fact, I always found a slight inverse relationship - Es tends to be better in Sunspot minimum years.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 10:00:27 PM »

But I'd suggest turning to the higher bands and listening carefully, no matter WHAT the SFI or K-index is.

I disagree. If everyone did that the bands would all appear to be dead. What you need to do is get on the bands and call CQ.
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 01:50:20 PM »

All the numbers are just predictions and they work pretty well most of the time.
But like predicting the WX I like to just listen.
If you can't find 'em you can't work them.
That being said, over the last weekend I was working stations on PSK 31 and all stations just went blank on the waterfall a few times.
Frustrating to say the least. Shocked
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 03:45:16 PM »

A cheap old CB in the shack, set to 27.025 ch 6, with the squelch closed, hooked up to almost anything for an antenna, even just a piece of receiving wire, can alert the savvy ham to 10 meter band openings. 

I currently use an old CB HT for the purpose, GE branded.  With weird rather elongated rubber duck.  But when the bands are open, the antenna doesn't seem to matter, the romper-stompers on 11 meters WILL open the squelch on that thing. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: