Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI on Long Island  (Read 6920 times)
KD2CJJ

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2013, 07:13:28 AM »

Well.... another RFI issue popped up which is far worse than my Sub (My media room subwoofer made 15 meters unusable until i found the issue) !   Now across 15 meters, 17 meters I have a S9 constant noise...  on 12 meter and 10 meter I have a S4-S5, On 40 I have a S7 constant noise (generally its a S3 - S5)...  On 20 its a S5 which right now based on the band conditions should be a S1 or S2...  I am so upset I want to throw my radio out the window!...

I did the full house power off test that found my Subwoofer RFI issue and this time the noise is still present p.... If I point my mini beam north and south the conditions above are evident... If I point it east or west all the noise drop about 2 - 3 S points!!!  So I know the RFI issues are north or south of me (my mini beam doesnt have much F/B gain that is noticeable).  It rained here over the past few days but yesterday was a very clear day so I figured what ever was having an issue would dry out but I suspect not OR the rain killed a device and now its acting up....

Anyone who lives on Long Island in Huntington have any good recommendations on how to approach LIPA?  I suspect its power lines since when I drive around listening to AM radio there are certain spots in my neighborhood that completely wipe out the signal with noise --- I will go after those offenders first.

Mike
KD2CJJ
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 06:32:41 AM »

I suspect its power lines since when I drive around listening to AM radio there are certain spots in my neighborhood that completely wipe out the signal with noise

It *may* be power lines but it could also be customer equipment coupling crap onto the power lines.  If it's strong enough to wipe out a broadcast receiver then it should definitely get someone's attention though.  The local utility here has an engineering department and they're who I've contacted for RFI resolution.  If you're inclined to try and track it down to the nearest structure or pole, any help you give them will be to your benefit.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KD2CJJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 04:36:28 PM »

I have at least narrowed it down to a few blocks with one being the biggest offender.  You pretty much can't hear am radio when driving under the lines
I suspect its power lines since when I drive around listening to AM radio there are certain spots in my neighborhood that completely wipe out the signal with noise

It *may* be power lines but it could also be customer equipment coupling crap onto the power lines.  If it's strong enough to wipe out a broadcast receiver then it should definitely get someone's attention though.  The local utility here has an engineering department and they're who I've contacted for RFI resolution.  If you're inclined to try and track it down to the nearest structure or pole, any help you give them will be to your benefit.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Mike
KD2CJJ
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 04:01:48 PM »

Hi Mike, when LIPA was LILCO they used to hav an RFI division which the guy who was the head was a ham but I am sure he has retired. Bck in the 90ies I had built a very effective contest station and I could pick those pole peg xfmr's up with a mile of my house and they after many complaints would send there RFI guy out and I would show them the problems, a few month down the road and they would have everything fixed just before the CQWWDX contest but come the winter time a whole new crop of Pole pegs would start shorting out again, it just never ends. There power grid system is soo old here on LI that it makes for a constant battle, LI is a great qth for DXing but between the towns getting stuffy about towers and what you have to deal with we are moving off.
Jim
KE2TR
KD2CJJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »

Jim, I was hoping after SANDY it would have improved since a fair amount was replaced.. but it seems worse... Recently the noise has gone - Why?  I dont know... I have to drive by that block and see if maybe they fixed the issue?  I doubt it.  But I think i will just start submitting complaints using my AM radio in my car as I drive around the neighborhood.  It should improve all around if I keep up with it.

Hi Mike, when LIPA was LILCO they used to hav an RFI division which the guy who was the head was a ham but I am sure he has retired. Bck in the 90ies I had built a very effective contest station and I could pick those pole peg xfmr's up with a mile of my house and they after many complaints would send there RFI guy out and I would show them the problems, a few month down the road and they would have everything fixed just before the CQWWDX contest but come the winter time a whole new crop of Pole pegs would start shorting out again, it just never ends. There power grid system is soo old here on LI that it makes for a constant battle, LI is a great qth for DXing but between the towns getting stuffy about towers and what you have to deal with we are moving off.
Jim
KE2TR

Mike
KD2CJJ
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 07:13:09 AM »

You sure that noise isn't coming from Montauk Point?  It's said that the old army base there was the center of some extremely unusual events!   Grin  Sorry--I couldn't resist!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: