Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-101E no receive, no 100khz calibration tone  (Read 1285 times)
KD0VEY

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2013, 10:25:20 AM »

Ok, I have searched the web and the service manual and cannot figure out where to go on this. Yesterday my FT-101E was working fine, except the receive/transmit was a little off. So, I followed the clarifier instructions found here: http://w3jxq.snycomp.com/ft101/clarifier.html.
Now, I not only have no receive, I can no longer hear the 100khz calibration tone. I just get a steady hiss that is not affected by turning the preselect. The hiss changes a little by mode and band, but that is about all I get.
I tried the clarifier instructions a 2nd time and it didn't help. I even put things back to their original placement, but it didn't help. I then cleaned the contacts for the mode switch, etc., still no difference. I tried a 2nd antenna. No luck. I checked the receive fuse (bulb) and the acc plug. Still no help.
I have the service manual open and I am not finding what I should do.
So, I was wondering if anyone has experienced something like this before and if they can suggest what my next step should be. Thanks in advance for any help!
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 02:04:59 PM »

Check for dirty R/T relay by tapping on the relay with something insulative like a small screqdriver handle or spudger tool while listening.  Alternatively, just push the PTT button a few times to bounce the relay while listening to see if the receive may come back. 

Check for *exactly* 6VDC from the 1314 Regulator Board.  Also check to see that the 14 volts is available on boards where it is supposed to go and that it is still exactly 14VDC. 

If the regulator board is shot, the IC on there is now unobtanium, not to worry, there is a better and newer way to go about repairing that, report back here for the info if in fact the 14V regulation is the problem. 

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 04:33:30 PM »

If a local oscillator wasn't, or a mixer didn't, you'd be listening to the white noise of the IF strip. And never hear a station or calibrator whistle no matter what you did with the VFO or bandswitch...........

Given the age of the rig I'd suspect a dirty switch or relay contact. Especially those upstream from the IF strip.

Never change a password on a Friday                
KD0VEY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 04:51:29 PM »

Thanks guys! .Tapping one of the relays worked. I was afraid it was something i did while tuning caused. Time to clean the relay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: