Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW Event for New CW Operators  (Read 8381 times)
KC9UNL

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2013, 11:21:47 AM »

2013 Get Your Feet Wet Weekend will be 0000Z Friday September 13 (Thursday local) through 0000Z September 16, 2013.

FISTS wants to encourage and nurture new CW operators. The Novice Round Up used to be held by the ARRL. Since the Novice License was eliminated this event is no longer held.
Because there are licensed amateurs that still are learning the code, this event is an ideal way to get some “on the air” experience and have some fun.

The focus is on sending slowly and clearly and sending the exchange in order. No memory or programmable keyers or code readers are allowed -human-powered transmissions only.
Sound like fun?  Go to http://www.fists.org/operating.html#feetwet for the rules and more information. The event is conducted on the “honor system” and information is given about sending you logs.

You do not need to be a FISTS member to participate but becoming a member of FISTS is very easy. Please visit www.fists.org  or http://www.fists.org/howdoi.html#join for membership information.

2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 02:43:33 PM »

Maybe this year. I was set to give it a go last year but real life intruded..... Roll Eyes

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 05:23:31 AM »

This is a great idea. I'll see if I can help some newbies with dry feet.  Smiley

73, Wx2s.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 07:10:29 AM »

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know of a 5WPM CW net or freqency where slower CW operators hang out?
I would like to make some CW contacts around 5WPM.
I have a 10 meter antenna up now and working on getting a 40 meter antenna up soon.
I have called CQ a few times on ten meters but no luck yet.
Most CW operators I have heard so far are 23 WPM or faster.
Let me know if you would like to setup a schedule for a contact.

Thanks,
Charles,
KD4TVB
KC9UNL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 08:51:36 AM »

Charles,

Ten meters is not very good now and will not be any better until fall and winter. Get the 40 meter antenna up and
check between 7.110 and 7.120 mc.  There are always slower CW qso's there.  Don't feel bad about asking an operator
to QRS, go slower.  Most will comply with your request.

Curt KC9UNL
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 08:53:47 AM »

40m daytime around 7110 is good...7114 preferred by some clubs as is 7120. Just call CQ at YOUR OWN SPEED. The frequency is of little importance but I'd stay away from 7030 and below to be fair..
  73 from Lane  de  n8aft  sk  ..
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 10:27:58 AM »

I usually use a character speed of 20wpm, but spaced at a slower speed. I'm practicing every day, but currently, about 10-13wpm is the most I can handle. If you can understand the 20wpm characters, I can space it out to 5wpm.

It's easier for me to space out the characters than it is to change the keyer speed, and a lot of other operators may feel the same way. Are you practicing with fast characters?

-- Tom
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 03:24:49 PM »

Charles,

Ten meters is not very good now and will not be any better until fall and winter. Get the 40 meter antenna up and
check between 7.110 and 7.120 mc.  There are always slower CW qso's there.  Don't feel bad about asking an operator
to QRS, go slower.  Most will comply with your request.

Curt KC9UNL

Thanks Curt for you comment and suggestion to ask the operator to QRS.
I should have th 40 meter antenna up tomarrow and ready for some test QSO's if this rain ever quits long enough.

Best 73,
Charles,
KD4TVB,
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 03:31:59 PM »

40m daytime around 7110 is good...7114 preferred by some clubs as is 7120. Just call CQ at YOUR OWN SPEED. The frequency is of little importance but I'd stay away from 7030 and below to be fair..
  73 from Lane  de  n8aft  sk  ..

Thanks for your suggestions Lane and hope to hear you on 40 meters soon.
I only have CW privileges on 40 for now but that will help me improve my CW skills.
I am studding for my general test and want to go ahead and make some 40 meter CW contacts.
I got my 40 meter antenna put together today so, hope to have it up tomarrow if the rain stops.

Best 73,
Charles,
KD4TVB,
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 03:42:18 PM »

I usually use a character speed of 20wpm, but spaced at a slower speed. I'm practicing every day, but currently, about 10-13wpm is the most I can handle. If you can understand the 20wpm characters, I can space it out to 5wpm.

It's easier for me to space out the characters than it is to change the keyer speed, and a lot of other operators may feel the same way. Are you practicing with fast characters?

-- Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes, I have been practicing with fast characters and 5WPM spacing or so.
I think this will help my CW speed come up faster.
I have been listening to CW on the air at faster speeds on 40 & 10 meters.
I have called CQ a few times on 10 meters but so far no luck.

Best 73,
Charles,
KD4TVB,
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 12:30:05 AM »

Neat.  I have been a ham for a few years but have only started learning the code this summer.  It's really fun and I like the idea of going 500+ miles per watt with my crappy stealth antenna.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 09:53:56 PM »

40 CW is the best place for new CW ops to hang out. It's always open to somewhere. Not so with 10m.
Join SKCC, get an SKCC number. It's free. Join FISTS if you want, but it costs. But get on the air and operate.
Listen to W1AW code practice broadcasts and bulletins to build your speed.
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 12:49:24 AM »

Techs have CW on 15m too you know, Maye the 40m ant will tune 15 as well.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 12:30:06 PM »

Charles, our pal KD8IIC mentioned 15 meters as another place you have HF privileges.  Fifteen meters can be a BUNCH of fun.  My first year as a Tech+ (which was back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth) was mostly on 15 meter CW.  I worked most of my first 100 countries doing that, and had a great time.

I also passed 20wpm a year after that, and did not ever "practice" as such.  You'll find that if you are USING your CW privileges, you'll gain speed and proficiency very quickly, and it won't feel like "work," it'll  be FUN!  :-)

Everybody else is right: call at YOUR comfortable speed; most ops do not mind a bit slowing down when needed.

You're in for a world of fun, Charles!  73 GL, and I hope to catch you on the air some time!  --ken
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 06:28:11 PM »

Hi Ken ; Yes, 15m is a superb band when it's "working" and it is easy to get some good long haul contacts logged. I was very surprised at the difference between it and 40m when I first tried it on CW. Antennas for 15, even Extended Double Zepps, are pretty compact and just about anyone can get one high enough to work quite well...A lot to like about "15"!
  73 from Lane in Ohio  de  n8aft  sk  ..
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: