Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Much Flex-6000 News  (Read 14789 times)
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 05:11:40 AM »

if you have your name in the order queu it is rather exciting too!

They say that a fool and his money are soon parted, but Flex did even better, they made the fools part with their money retroactively!
That's a wee bit harsh isn't it? No one forced anyone to part with their money. The terms of
pre-ordering a 6000 Series radio were made up front and center. IF someone accepted those
terms, then that is on them. AND, as has already happened, people are free to ask for, and
receive a refund of any money they have paid in. Some have only paid a deposit and are waiting
for notice of shipment to make final payment. Others, paid in full. But, the fact that they can get
their money back, no questions asked, is ok in my book.
 I am looking forward to the time they are available just as the other Flex radios are. But, if I get the itch for a new SDR radio (besides my Flex 1500) , I might just spring for an Anan 100D.
I like the concept of open source and the availability of quicker fixes for bugs etc.
james
WD5GWY

Easy there James. Don't bring rational thought and reason into a conversation with a Flex basher. You'll fry out the brain cells in their narrow little minds! Cheesy
Michael, W4HIJ

You can say the exact same things about Flex Fans.  Take a look at the Flex reflector over the last few days when news got out that Flex discontinued the F5k.  All the usual suspects (Flex Radio Fanboys) are attempting to yell down the mass of people who are upset with the unprofessional way that Flex has dealt with the announcement.  Flex personnel have a history of unprofessionalism from the top down.

These people that now are upset, were loyal Flex customers too (some were also Flex Fanboys).  There is nothing wrong with a Flex until the problem happens to YOU.  Then its a different story.

I am neither a Fanboy or a Flex basher.  I own a F5k.  I talk about both the advantages and disadvantages.  If you say anything negative at all about Flex then the Fanboys like W4HIJ label you a basher.  They don't like the truth.

-robert

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:15:15 AM by SWL2002 » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 06:47:10 AM »

I am neither a Fanboy or a Flex basher.  I own a F5k.  I talk about both the advantages and disadvantages.  If you say anything negative at all about Flex then the Fanboys like W4HIJ label you a basher.  They don't like the truth.

-robert

Bingo! Most (but not all) Flexers all have the same traits. When they can not spin facts they start calling names. Several posters here are quite good at belittling those they do not agree with. If you can not attack the message then go after the messenger which is a very common practice with the Flexers.

I do NOT hate Flexers, indeed I respect Flex owners who are honest and discuss the pro/cons of a Flexradio without contradicting known facts. You and NI0Z are 2 good examples of Flex owners who look at Flexradios without hysteria and religious like fervor.

Stan K9IUQ
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 07:46:51 PM »

FlexRadio Systems has taken FlexInsider to weekly, and offered an opt-in survey for SmartSDR Preview Edition participation. 

They have also laid out what will and will not be in SmartSDR v1.0 and v1.1

Steve
K9ZW

BLOG:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 11:34:08 AM »

Free speech has built many a great nations and a few good forums as well!

Having a blast with the new Anan, and it has all the features my Flex 5K had and quite a few more! Yes, it has the Panofall! Wink wink! Best part of it all is it didn't cost me the Arm and leg, just part of an arm. Smiley

Perhaps what is coolest about the OpenSource experience is I can actually communicate with the developers working on the software any time I want.

Is it perfect, nope, that's not the reason for my post.  It's good to have alternatives, that's the message and we learn about them through free open expression.

WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 12:20:31 PM »

That is good and what it's really all about! I have watched your
videos comparing the Anan with the 5K. And I appreciate you posting
them on YouTube. I have been leaning towards getting one of the Anan
radios sometime in the not so distant future. I wouldn't even mind having
an Anan 10, even though it is only 10 watts or so, output.
I too like the open source model of software. The only real danger with open
source, is if there is but a single developer of a software package, and he gets
sick, bored, or heaven forbid, dies............then it's very possible, that unless another
developer picks up on the software, that that will be the end of the software you're using.
BUT, I enjoy software development (VB and C#) and since the source code is available,
that gives me something to play with. And I'm sure there are others that can do the same
as well. And most likely, MUCH better than me!!!!
Oh, and even the latest version of PowerSDR 2.6.4(source code) is freely available from Flex Radio
simply by requesting it. There are parts of it that are closed source and cannot be used outside of
Flex (the Tracking Notch Filters for one example) But, most is freely reusable. (properly credited of course) All of that makes using radios like the Anans really a good thing..........unless you are an
appliance operator and do not like tinkering with software, and in some cases hardware too.
In that case, the upcoming Flex 6000 Series radios, with SmartSDR, will be ideal for a lot of people. But, you will have to pay for software (closed source) and there will only be a limited amount of tinkering you will be able to do. Flex has said they will publish an API to interface with the radio for outside developers to build applications for other devices. They have not said if that API will be freely available or not. Only time will tell on that one!
james
WD5GWY

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 12:47:13 PM »

I think technically the notching filters are not protected because they released them Open Surceoriginally.  Not sure they can legally recall them like that.  Officially they really haven't.  My understanding there are other soft reasons behind the seeming recall of the notch filter code.  I am guessing in court it would not hold up and that if a person downloads the source an activates them their selves, there is little to nothing They can do about it.

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 01:07:52 PM »

I think technically the notching filters are not protected because they released them Open Surceoriginally. 
Are you sure they released the notch code open source?  It seems to me it was well along in the development of PowerSDR  after they had begun close sourcing some of the content that the trackable notch was added.
Michael, W4HIJ
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 02:24:36 PM »

You might be right, or maybe not.  I don't have the definitive answer for you, sorry!

I did notice though that Tracking Notch Filters as Flex dubbed them were not a recent invention.  While not called the same thing, there is open source code out there for accomplishing the same thing for audio signals for the music industry.

Someone should just pick that up and repurpose it into PowerSDR.

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 04:19:47 PM »

I do envy you having both radios and being able to compare them side by side. Unfortunately all of them except my trusty 1500 are out of my reach right now. I can't even muster a Flex 3K. I hope that will change in the next couple of years and it will be very exciting to see what's come down the pike by then, be it Apache, Flex or some other manufacturer who has entered the ring by then. The competition is good for us all! I still want an SDR that will cover 160 meters on up to 1.2GHz in a single box without the need of external transverters. I surely do miss my Kenwood TS-2000X, birdies and all. The fully decked 5K was close but no 1.2 gig and now I'd wager they are going to be extremely hard to get used.  It's too bad the satellite situation is such as it is. We need new HEO birds to get the manufacturers motivated again but I don't see that happening. AMSAT DL can't afford to launch the one they already have built. As far as I know, it languishes in storage and the VHF/UHF weak signal crowd alone are not enough for the manufacturers to invest the time and resources.....sigh....
Michael, W4HIJ
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 05:11:21 PM »

Well, both Anan and Flex users will have waits to have the full potential realized.  Flex has to finish SmartSDR and PowerSDR MRX won't likely ever support 14 receivers, that will have to come via cuSDR or something new.

I had 4 receivers running the other day on CuSDR with 48K but the limit there was that only 100 MB on the Ethernet connection as they haven't implented the Gigabit yet.  The limit on receivers may actually be the gigabit Ethernet.  Doing fast math, 14 48K receivers would consume 350MB.  96K receivers would be 700, ect.  This is very loose math here because I am not sure that these numbers are actually correct.  One could in theory have a few wider receivers in the mix with smaller ones.  The computer will have to be able to keep up as well and this all assumes a,perfectly clean network as well.  Still, lol, 14 receivers is ridiculous in my opinion.

The upshot for me is basically with the Anan I have a fully functional radio using PowerSDR to ease the wait on the development.  I am hoping to find out more about the Flex 6500 and where SmartSDR will really stand at launch.  Will it have CAT support? Will it support things like VAC?  Will it matter because maybe it will all be implemented like any other knob radio and require hardware interfaces.

While we all have fun arguing over this and that, there is still a lot we don't know about either of the SDRs and one can enjoy what they have in the moment.

My take is someone really needs to write a new multi radio SDR program that supports most of the radios.  It would be worth money.  WoodBoxRadio is working on Studio 1, but its moving at a slow slow pace and focused on receivers right now and not transceivers.

It's funny that we just had Dayton and the clammer from this years event is really low.

K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 12:21:48 PM »

Stu K6TU has written more about his Flex-6700 Alpha and "SmartSDR Pre-Preview Edition" QSOs and experiences.

K6TU's blog is called EtherGeist

Hoping Mack W4AX and some of the other Alpha Team members write about their experiences too.

Steve
K9ZW

BLOG  http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 06:29:56 PM »

I'm still unclear regarding the audio transport scheme. I get that the F6K is controlled over IP by a client running on a separate PC, but what about true remote operation? Is there any provision for bi-directional VOIP in SmartSDR? Is this still a third party functionality? What about remote CW keying? I sort of envisioned the design as allowing the use of a portable PC as the full-function console for the radio, and all done over IP. Which pieces are we still required to cobble together for true remote operation?

To be honest, I haven't played much with full xcvr control and operation over IP, mainly because it involves use of Skype or some other kludgy arrangement. I have had good luck using Unreal server and Unreal Media Player running on both ends on different ports, and controlling the radio (Flex3K) by either HRD remote or UltraVNC, and a iBoot device for failsafe in case something hangs. Still, it's really a clunky way of going about this. Does it get better?
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 07:49:03 PM »

I'm still unclear regarding the audio transport scheme. I get that the F6K is controlled over IP by a client running on a separate PC, but what about true remote operation? Is there any provision for bi-directional VOIP in SmartSDR? Is this still a third party functionality? What about remote CW keying? I sort of envisioned the design as allowing the use of a portable PC as the full-function console for the radio, and all done over IP. Which pieces are we still required to cobble together for true remote operation?

To be honest, I haven't played much with full xcvr control and operation over IP, mainly because it involves use of Skype or some other kludgy arrangement. I have had good luck using Unreal server and Unreal Media Player running on both ends on different ports, and controlling the radio (Flex3K) by either HRD remote or UltraVNC, and a iBoot device for failsafe in case something hangs. Still, it's really a clunky way of going about this. Does it get better?

The article covered pre-relase software.  Remoting is not implemented in that software, so the scheme describe is work-arounds.

It is not likely that SmartSDR Preview Edition will include remote capability yet.

When the full release SmartSDR software rolls at at some point in the staged feature releases (READ:  Not included out of the box and no time frame yet provided) remoting within a home network will be added.

How wider area networking/combining happens is undefined at this stage.

Repeat - The word is it will happen in stages over time.  Initial releases we are told will not remote. 

Steve
K9ZW

Boog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 11:33:34 AM »

The article covered pre-relase software.  Remoting is not implemented in that software, so the scheme describe is work-arounds.

It is not likely that SmartSDR Preview Edition will include remote capability yet.

When the full release SmartSDR software rolls at at some point in the staged feature releases (READ:  Not included out of the box and no time frame yet provided) remoting within a home network will be added.

How wider area networking/combining happens is undefined at this stage.

Repeat - The word is it will happen in stages over time.  Initial releases we are told will not remote. 

Steve
K9ZW

Boog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

Hey Steve, 

Understood on the stages of release. 

Have they announced a ship date for the pre-orders and first initial release?

K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2013, 07:56:48 AM »

Check the FlexRadio Systems > Support > Downloads area.

Additional FlexInsider issue made available to download and some Signature Series documentation.

Steve
K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: