Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When is an Elecraft completed???  (Read 5207 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »

...Then again, maybe a new bigger antenna is what I need...

Hold that thought, for it is what separates the ham operators from the rest of the amateurs. 

I would rather have an Elecraft K1 and a proper yagi on a 100' tower than a K3 and kpa500 and a dipole.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 10:44:03 AM »

Re:AD9DX

I would like that also but had to compromise with a K1 and a Hex beam on a 25 ft.mast.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 03:38:21 PM »

Re:AD9DX

I would like that also but had to compromise with a K1 and a Hex beam on a 25 ft.mast.

I am stuck in Homeowners association hell. I purchased my house while I was on a ham radio hiatus. So I have a K3, an Alpha and a 160m windom (hidden in the woods in the common area). I would trade the Alpha for a Hex Beam.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 03:52:06 PM »

Never , thats why I buy Kenwood....
N4DSP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 07:02:25 PM »

When is an Electraft completed? When you run out of money.
When is an Icom/Yaesu/Kenwood completed? The second you open the box. All bug fixes, upgrades, etc will be available when you purchase the next model.

You hit a home run with that comment. Well stated.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 04:37:48 AM »

This doesn't quite match the topic heading, apoligies.
This is not a disparagment of the fine equipment from Elecraft.  But it seems that building a
K2 or a k3 etc. never reaches an end point.  Elecraft has just come out with a new DSP/clock
module to replace the old K2 "new Dsp/clock module.  Making this change puts the K2 into the
$1000 category.  I read somewhere the other day where a ham was changing a module in a
K3.  I have been considering if I want to do the change in my K2.  It works well enough as is
(except for minor shortcommings) and I am still comtemplating building a K3.  My PRO III does
just about everything I need and my old TS-830 still works like the top of the line it was in its
 youth.  Then again, maybe a new bigger antenna is what I need.   I seem to have as much trouble making up my mind as Hamlet did.
Allen KA5N

This happens on everything electronic in everyday life. You cell phone is constantly update. Your LCD TV now has firmware updates. You car has constant updates. Hell, even a stove has its processor board updated because the old one use to fail and render it a brick.

The difference is that when it is hardware, most changes/improvements are implemented in production. That is why if you get an early version, you may be SOL if out of warranty. My FT-950 had 2 rounds of EDSP firmware. Luckily, I have the newer one. The 950 underwent numerous improvements that made it go from a terrible receiver, to a pretty good one.

The nice think about Elecraft being in kit form, is that even though their models are the same, they are constantly updating the innards, allowing even older rigs to come up to date. You should be happy that this is available to you. Most people do not have this option.

Also, I would not lose sleep over this, because you could die worrying about not having the latest and greatest. Some people have an obsession with this.
AA9G

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 05:57:02 PM »

When is an Electraft completed? When you run out of money.
When is an Icom/Yaesu/Kenwood completed? The second you open the box. All bug fixes, upgrades, etc will be available when you purchase the next model.
Win.
Are some people under the impression that a SWAT team shows up at your door if they don't buy an Elecraft upgrade? Of course they don't.
 Conspiracy theories? Ridiculous.
They invest the time and effort to design and market upgrades because their customers desire and purchase them.
But if the money you could spend on an upgrade would otherwise result in a significant performance gain if directed at the antenna system then you go with the antenna every time.

Ex KC9EEV.
W1AJO

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »

.....When is an Icom/Yaesu/Kenwood completed? The second you open the box. ...

I wish!  I spent a LOT of moneny on my Yaesu FT-817ND with W4RT upgrades: dual filters, DSP, battery, tunner interface ect.  Not to forget the Yaesu options like the TCXO-9.  Ditto for my FT-840 'options' and the VR-5000 options & $185 firmware upgrade!

They like to suck money out of my wallet.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: