Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your thoughts on Ham Radio Deluxe 6.xx  (Read 53788 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »

I have been using HRD for 4 years now and as of this moment I am using the latest release 5.24
I donated to Simon when I first got HRD and have always loved the software, bugs and all Smiley but at this point in time I find myself at a cross roads with HRD.   A few things keep going through my mind so I wanted to list them and get some feedback from other HRD users.

1) On one hand I really appreciated all the work the new HRD owners put into the software and I do understand that they need to make a profit but regardless of what others have said I do find the price to be pretty high for software that has very competent competing freeware versions for most modules.

2) The yearly service plan is a real turn off for me.  I think that there is Zero chance that you can buy 6.0 and then upgrade to 6.1 and think you’re going to be safe for several years to come.  It seems to me that every year something happens with either QRZ or LoTW to cause a need for the logging software to be updated.  So if I buy 6.0 now, I feel pretty certain that in 2014 I will be paying an additional $48 for 6.2 in order to fix a problem in 6.1 and if past history is accurate it can be assumed that this will happen on almost an annual basis.

3) I am still looking for a compelling reason to move to version 6.  At first I was really interested in the CW Supersweeper but that did not come out with 6.0.  Now I hear the CW sweeper will be shown in Beta form at Dayton but during the last few days I have been playing around with CW Skimmer and once again feel torn between buying that and then using some separate freeware software for all the other things I need.

At the end of the day I guess my real dilemma is not spending a one shot $90 fee for HRD 6.0 it’s the whole idea of a subscription type sale that turns me off.  I hate it with Antivirus software and like it even less with Ham Software.   My second problem is that I am yet to see a compelling reason why HRD 6.0 is so much better than even the older versions that Simon put out.  Sure there are bug fixes, but for many popular radios the bugs where pretty minimum to begin with.  Anybody else wrestling with the idea of upgrading and is NOT a member of the Beta test Team?  
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 04:22:35 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 05:28:25 PM »

The fact it costs about $400 over 5 years if you want access to bug fixes and updates(like everytime qrz makes changes and lookups stop working, or you get that new yaesu like the ftdx3000 which only works in the latest versipn) is totally crazy.  

I am not exaggerating the 5 year cost is: $99 + $60 + $60 + $60 + $60 =   $340. 

Charging every year for the same software is the kind of stupid stuff businesses do for 'enterprise support'.

These guys think they are selling Oracle not a formerly free shareware ham app.  

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:36:32 PM by WS4E » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 05:42:29 PM »

The fact it costs about $400 over 5 years if you want access to bug fixes and updates(like everytime qrz makes changes and lookups stop working, or you get that new yaesu like the ftdx3000 which only works in the latest versipn) is totally crazy.  

I am not exaggerating the 5 year cost is: $99 + $60 + $60 + $60 + $60 =   $340. 

Charging every year for the same software is the kind of stupid stuff businesses do for 'enterprise support'.

These guys think they are selling Oracle not a formerly free shareware ham app.  

Kinda like Office 365 yearly fee too. HRD is not that good.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 06:16:02 PM »

Thanks for the replies keep them coming.  I think we all can relate to the enormous expenditure they have made but at the same time the annual fee just seems a bit excessive!

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 06:32:29 PM »

Thanks for the replies keep them coming.  I think we all can relate to the enormous expenditure they have made but at the same time the annual fee just seems a bit excessive!

I think it will backfire on them and drive people away for software. Very excessive in cost. Plus it is not really the best there is for Digi either but more of a all in one thing.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 06:56:51 PM »

If version 5.xx is still working for you (even w/ the bugs and occasional lock ups) why spend $$ on the latest and greatest if it still works???...

Rick  wn2c

Still using vers 5.xx
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 07:32:51 PM »

I have been using HRD since the 4.X days.  I think the software allows me to automate my shack in a unprecedented way.  Back before Simon sold it to Rick and co, I was sending him $100 as a donation per year.  But then, I am a responsible ham...

Compared to other logging software that comes with a cost, it's pretty cheap for what you get.  Rig control, log book, digi modes, satellite and a mapper.  Price each (compared to those who charge a fee) and you'll find it's not that bad.

If you want free, go to DX Labs and use their product.  I personally don't think there is even a comparison between the HRD product and DX Labs when it comes to the user interface.  But that's a personal thing.

Just take this into account.  The ARRL just changed their URL for LoTW.  Users of HRD 4.X and 5.X will not be able to do automated LoTW up and down loads.  HRD 6.X users will...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:35:16 PM by KB1NXE » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »

I have been using HRD since the 4.X days.  I think the software allows me to automate my shack in a unprecedented way.  Back before Simon sold it to Rick and co, I was sending him $100 as a donation per year.  But then, I am a responsible ham...

You do not need to send 100/yr to be responsible. Do you send 100 a yr to MicroSoft without which HRD would be worthless.

Compared to other logging software that comes with a cost, it's pretty cheap for what you get.  Rig control, log book, digi modes, satellite and a mapper.  Price each (compared to those who charge a fee) and you'll find it's not that bad.

Not really, they do not want annual fees like that.

If you want free, go to DX Labs and use their product.  I personally don't think there is even a comparison between the HRD product and DX Labs when it comes to the user interface.  But that's a personal thing.

I do agree nothing match the code bloat of HRD. I have tried it but did not like it at all.

Just take this into account.  The ARRL just changed their URL for LoTW.  Users of HRD 4.X and 5.X will not be able to do automated LoTW up and down loads.  HRD 6.X users will...

And there is no reason that they could not supply a simple patch to 4x and 5x users for this. Instead they want 100 bucks for a fix. 

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 01:39:19 AM »

I have to agree with W8JX on most of his responses except the part about them charging to fix 5.xx that part is yet to be seen!

I totally agree that paying an annual fee is going to be a non stater for the vast majority of Hams and that issue is even less palatable when one factors in how immature the product is at this poi t in time. For example it's been almost 6 months since people purchased 6.0 and they are still waiting for many of the promised features that 6 should have had on day one.
Just imagine how long it will be before this Project reaches full Maturity!
Factor in the QRZ changes and you have several more additional releases on the horizon.
IMO they would have been much better off if they just offered fixes for at least 5 years or two complete revisions which ever comes first that would be kind of Like how Microsoft does it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:45:49 AM by KD8MJR » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 05:35:33 AM »

I have to agree with W8JX on most of his responses except the part about them charging to fix 5.xx that part is yet to be seen!

I was referring to upgrading to 6x for the fix.

IMO they would have been much better off if they just offered fixes for at least 5 years or two complete revisions which ever comes first that would be kind of Like how Microsoft does it.

I agree this would be more the norm and as I said the LOTw issue could be fixed with a simple free patch.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 04:05:25 PM »

I agree this would be more the norm and as I said the LOTw issue could be fixed with a simple free patch.

I am thinking that owners should get free updates all the way to the point when version 8.0 is released.  After that the orginal owners of Ver6.0 are on their own, you can either buy Ver 8.0 at a reduced upgrade price or stay with your old Ver 6.XX and know that when it breaks your out of luck.   Of course this assumes that HRD follows normal version upgrade procedures and dont just jump to 7.0 or 8.0 because they added a few minor features.
Thats pretty much exactly how microsoft does it and very few people complain.
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 06:53:07 PM »

JX and MJR.  The OP was looking for opinions on HRD.  If you have one, kindly offer it.  No reason to attack MY opinion.  I was not addressing either of you!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 08:18:38 PM »

JX and MJR.  The OP was looking for opinions on HRD.  If you have one, kindly offer it.  No reason to attack MY opinion.  I was not addressing either of you!

The poster asked for opinion on upgrade which I gave. To require a user to purchase a expansive upgrade for just a simple URL fix is bad. Yearly fees are not good either. It sounds like someone is trying to mine HRD users wallets as much as possible and hopping after they sink hundreds into it they will keep doing it because they have so much invested. Called marketing 101

K6ELE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 10:21:11 PM »

I purchased v6 and I am pleased with the support and product. Did not use V5. Called them several times and someone always answered my questions or solved my problem. Very friendly, know the product, will remote to your PC to solve problems. Any of you have experience with tech support from overseas?
Used MixW for 4 years, then DX labs. Neither of  them have direct support, which is not expected for a free product. Sure you have the Yahoo groups to ask your questions, but no comparison to calling someone who can solve your problem now. I have spent many hours trying to solve problems with these other packages and days of waisted time waiting for Yahoo group help.
Interfacing hardware, sound cards, drivers, etc, and getting program features to work can be frustrating, so I am enjoying using this software with the support they provide.
Sure the Supersweeper needs work, but award tracking, worked station status, and other features make it work for me.

I have a software background in my profession, so lack of software experience is not why I choose HRD
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 05:07:52 PM »

Used MixW for 4 years, then DX labs. Neither of  them have direct support, which is not expected for a free product. Sure you have the Yahoo groups to ask your questions, but no comparison to calling someone who can solve your problem now. I have spent many hours trying to solve problems with these other packages and days of waisted time waiting for Yahoo group help.

A search of Yahoo membership records shows no evidence of your having been a member of the DXLab Yahoo group. I review and respond to DXLab Yahoo group posts several times every day, and have no recollection of any post from you, much less a request for help that went unresolved.

Reported defects in DXLab applications are given highest priority, and usually result in a corrected release within 24 hours.

Dave, AA6YQ
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: