Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your thoughts on Ham Radio Deluxe 6.xx  (Read 45785 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2013, 01:56:43 AM »

I installed HRD 6.0 on Saturday and decided to test drive it for at least 24 hours just to make sure I had no issues. The Installation went smoothly, it migrated all my settings, com ports, rotator and logs just fine and after a couple of hours I had the screens setup the way I wanted.

I made the purchase on Sunday and hope to have my keys pretty soon. Overall I am liking what I see, its a nice improvement over 5.24 but I have seen a few minor issues and some changes that are taking time to get use to.  I am looking forward to getting the beta version and seeing if they have fixed the few bugs I found.  I will post back after playing with it some more.
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2013, 04:28:55 AM »

If you have the time, I would be interested in some additional detail on the points you mention below.  I have been wondering
about those items myself but have been hesitant to actually install 6.0 to check them out for myself.

>its a nice improvement over 5.24

>but I have seen a few minor issues

>and some changes that are taking time to get use to.

Thanks,
Carlton
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2013, 02:58:19 PM »

If you have the time, I would be interested in some additional detail on the points you mention below.  I have been wondering
about those items myself but have been hesitant to actually install 6.0 to check them out for myself.

>its a nice improvement over 5.24

>but I have seen a few minor issues

Thanks,
Carlton

I just received the keys this morning, although getting them by email is really just for your own records in case you want to manually install them if you have no internet access.  The software seems to get automatic key updates from their servers so even before I opened the email it was already set for a 1 year expiry date from the 30 day date I was seeing the day before.  It’s exactly the same as most of the Anti Virus software update engines.  I am not a big fan of visible time limits on software even if this one will not render it useless.

its a nice improvement over 5.24
It is a nice improvement, mostly in the Logbook.  The ability to see little icons on the cluster that show if you ( worked the country / worked the country on this band / worked the station /  QSL Status / is he Lotw / is he eQsl /)  Plus several other thing that makes the cluster much more useful for knowing who you need to work for getting band fills and new modes.

There are numerous other little tweaks that make the HRD experiences better, its too long to list but most are not new features just things that make old features work better or in some cases they now work  Wink

I have not had much time to work with the Awards section but it does seem to have a lot of new additions and features added to it.

>but I have seen a few minor issues.
Since most of the changes are in the Logbook you would expect that the issues will also be in the Logbook and that’s the case.

1) The first thing that I noticed is that the “World Map with the grey line” no longer centers my location on the Map.  Instead I end up being all the way on the extreme left side and the India/China boarder are now in the center of my map  Shocked  Hmmmmm  Wink and there is no way I can change that.  This pretty much makes the grey line map useless until the problem is fixed.

2) The LoTW status indicator on the cluster list is not accurate.  When it shows a station as an LoTW member its correct but on the other hand it does not recognize all stations that are LoTW members as being members. I have had several stations show up with no “L” indicator but when I go to QRZ it shows that they do use LoTW.  HRD6 uses some sort of compiled database of LoTW users that it updates itself, but does not seem to reference QRZ for the lotw Info.  In all fairness to HRDllc I have heard QRZ is not all that accurate for listing LoTW members but IMO why not use both this compiled database and QRZ together and do a simple “OR” statement when deciding to check off the LoTW box!

I would rather take my chances and make a QSO and find out later that he was not on LoTW and live with the knowledge that at least I have him in the Log, rather than passing him over completely and find out later that he was indeed an LoTW member and I let a $$ Free Band fill pass me by.

3) I ran a quick test and worked a station to see if it would show up as worked in the cluster listing but it did not.  This forced me to make a support phone call, which ironically was not needed for installation and configuration LOL.  I was told that it could be because of the order in which I have my lookups setup in the config settings.  When I get home I will test that out and let you know.  For now I consider it NOT to be a bug, but just an improper setting on my part.

All the Icons that I described in the “Nice Improvements” section end up being a double edged sword.  I look at them and I get confused as to what it all means.  Keep in mind you have complete control on how many of these you want on the screen but the minimum I found was 5 for getting a good sense of who you need to work.
It also means that I now have to figure out what all 5 are telling me!  This is one of those things that will just take time to get use to.  The old HRD 5 use of a simple  Green check with a Plus in it was a lot simpler but it also had a lot less info.   I will get back to you guys later about my opinions on this new system and let you know if it’s just a case of getting use to it or if it needs to be stream lined better.

Lastly the “lookup” column on the left hand pane is much more detailed but I really really wish that I could sort which boxes I wanted on top and which is second etc. It really needs customization.

The Wikipedia integration is a nice feature I just wish they did not use the “Globe” icon to activate it.  This is sort of counter intuitive as globe means map and I expect google earth to come up not wikipedia.

So far I am very happy with the software, it’s much more polished than 5.24 and has a lot of nice additional features.  Any bugs I have encountered will most likely be squashed in the next release.

I want you guys to understand that I am looking at this with a critical eye, I don’t own any stock in the company and our relationship has been a bit rocky from day one.  When I say certain things I am more or less pointing out mostly the negatives which are what most people are going to Harp on when they shell out $100 for something that use to be free, so what I am doing is letting you know what to expect.

The positives with this software are numerous and would take a huge post to list, but at the end of the day I guess for $100 most of you are expecting a lot of positives and in terms of polishing of features in HRD5 and I can say that ver 6 delivers that. For some users the enhanced Award tracking will be that must have feature, for others it will be the cluster and logging updates but for me I can’t say it has a must buy feature yet. That feature for me is promised for ver 5.1 in the CW Sweeper and I have no doubt they will deliver it.

BTW I was under the impression that all paid owners could access the Beta Version, I think that info was posted before on several forums, yet I am now told that by support that I cannot access it  Angry I wish I could have seen that version because I think it probably had fixes for several of my issues and it would have had the CW super sweeper which is the main reason I decided to get the software.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:37:14 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2013, 11:44:05 PM »

I had a great night tonight using HRD 6.0  Grin
It's really a pleasure not to encounter some of the nagging problems I had with 5.24
Also one thing I realized tonight is that both installations are sharing the same log so I can go back and forth between versions and see the changes they have made between both versions. All the settings remain separate but the Log is shared. Grin

If you where fearing taking the 30 day test drive this makes the idea more comforting because your 5.24 remains intact and you can just go back to it when you want to and your logs will have everything you entered under 6.0
 Just make sure to select that option when installing 6.0 and make sure to export your log before starting the install so you have a backup just in case.

BTW the tech dept was right, a change to the order of my database look up list fixed the issue with the cluster not showing that I had made a QSO with stations I had already logged and were currently listed in the cluster.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:53:31 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2013, 07:17:24 AM »

6.1 isn't solid enough for a public release yet.    That's why Im having my beta team POUND on it.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2013, 04:49:47 PM »

6.1 isn't solid enough for a public release yet.    That's why Im having my beta team POUND on it.

I am really looking forward to it.  I like what I am seeing in Ver 6.0 so I am sure it will only get better with 6.1 Smiley
BTW when you said 140,000,000 lines of code I assume you meant 1,400,000 because 140 million lines would seem to be an impossible number Huh
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2013, 11:00:44 AM »

I am really looking forward to it.  I like what I am seeing in Ver 6.0 so I am sure it will only get better with 6.1 Smiley
BTW when you said 140,000,000 lines of code I assume you meant 1,400,000 because 140 million lines would seem to be an impossible number Huh

1.4 million is HRD proper, about 5 million or so in all the programs (DM780, HRDlog, etc)

KE6NVU

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2013, 12:11:37 PM »

Hi I have just downloaded HRD and i took me 1 day to get the rig control to operate perfectly and the logger program is flawless so far. the rotator control is very easy to operate and runs my yeasu 1000 first time out of the download.  I did have a question and Tim kb3nph help me with no problems as it was operator error. He stayed on the phone and we had a chance to chat the 6.1 upgrade will have fewer issues and be more strait forward I think. I received my key to operate the program with in 24 hours.  Hint erase the first key then enter the new key seems to work better.
I was impressed with Tims overall knowledge was excellent and that he was a volunteer astounded me he is the best reason to buy the program.

I enjoyed the logging program and rig control i recommend it highly.  Grin
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2013, 04:10:46 PM »

Yes it's really very good software.  With 6.1 I now have numerous Awards being properly tracked and I also love the way it displays cluster information.  It kind of got me even more interested in Ham Radio because I am at the point when an ATNO is very rare for me but with the new Cluster Info I can quickly see if a listed station is needed for a Band fill.  I am now obsessed with turning those little Yellow Marks to Green and having all entities on all Bands being worked.

Also the reliability level from 5.24 is outstanding.  I think that 6.x has only crashed once on me and that turned out to be a known bug that they will be fixing in the next release.   With 5.24 I would get a crash during almost every session, especially if I used DM-780.  So I have to say I am very happy at how stable the release is.

The CW decoding in DM-780 was also impressive. I found it to be on Par with CWget but since HRD has a waterfall and can decode several CW stations at once it makes it a klot more useful.

HRD 6.1 is Well worth the money, especially since you now get new fixes going through 2 major releases instead of just one.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 04:23:08 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2013, 05:29:33 AM »

And keep in mind, the v6.1 posted on HRD's website is still a BETA version.  There will undoubtedly be more tweaks before the final 6.1 is released, so it will only get better.

Dave
K3DCW
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2013, 03:50:19 PM »

Also the reliability level from 5.24 is outstanding.  I think that 6.x has only crashed once on me and that turned out to be a known bug that they will be fixing in the next release.   With 5.24 I would get a crash during almost every session, especially if I used DM-780.  So I have to say I am very happy at how stable the release is.

I know it is the kiss of death to say this, but I am running 5.24.0.38 on a "vintage" (vintage = more than 3 years old) Dell running Vista and I have absolutely no issues with crashing, freezing, etc. I also have DM780 open all the time and use digital modes quite a bit.

If you are experiencing any crashing on any version, there may be other things crawling around inside your PC!

Of course now I have now invited Murphy into my shack!
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2013, 06:42:52 PM »

You must be very lucky or possibly you only use a limited set of the available features.
If you look at the hrd forums you will see hundreds of complaints of the OLDER 5.x version crashing in both the logbook and dm-780.

The newer 6.1 has almost no crash issues.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 06:47:01 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2013, 08:36:36 PM »

Maybe I am just lucky!

Of course the core program is running for rig control, but I never actually use the GUI to control my radio. I mean the radio is right in front of me anyway!

And of course the logbook is always open along with the DX Cluster. The only other tab I have up is the QRZ lookup page.

The only other program that is open is DM780... even if I am not using it.

I also do run FSK RTTY and since I am still using v5, I open up MMTTY. You know, this alone almost enough to make me free up a spare Benjie for v6 since switching back and forth between programs is a bit of a pain.

I try to take luck out of the equation as much as possible by keeping my anti-virus and anti-malware programs up to date.  Also, my computer is dedicated to the shack. It is not the general family computer that is bombarded with who-knows-what from "questionable" sites on the Internet.

I better quit talking about my system now before my luck runs out!
N4KIT

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2013, 02:04:36 PM »

I know it is the kiss of death to say this, but I am running 5.24.0.38 on a "vintage" (vintage = more than 3 years old) Dell running Vista and I have absolutely no issues with crashing, freezing, etc. I also have DM780 open all the time and use digital modes quite a bit.

Some of you may recognize by my call that I am on the beta team and do Alpha testing.  I do that on 2 machines - A Lenovo Win7 laptop and an Acer desktop that runs (fully updated) Vista on 2 GB of RAM - you could say I represent the "least common denominator" hi hi.  With the exception of an occasional DM-780 stutter, 6.1 beta runs very well on the Vista box.

Chris - N4KIT
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2013, 04:07:54 AM »

Chris, I love HRD and have been an avid fan for about 4 years now.  It's the best all-in-one program I and a few of my friends have found and you guys are very responsive to bug problems.  But the new Version 6 series still has a way to go in my opinion for fixes.  I see you've been assigned my cases and was wondering if the problem with FSK could be the set up instruction provided by Microham / Microkeeyer 2?  FSK works great for other programs though.

I still love HRD though, just would like to go back to running version 6.

73 Randy AJ7G
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: