Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: computer with xp wont load up  (Read 2556 times)
KC8KTN

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2013, 04:34:10 PM »

Hello my xp system on my desktop wont let me get pass the password screen. When I try to use the mouse on the password screen system does not recognize my mouse on usb port to bring up window to type in pass word. When I try to go into sat fe mode using f-8 button I can bring up the window the gives you options of safe mode regular load up ect then my keyboard arrows wont allow me to move it to safe mode . I have tried a different keyboard and different mousses . I think there is a problem with the usb ports but my I do not know enough to get around this.. Any sugestions.. Tried everything I know. And beleive it or not but I hate to say this but tape is not going to fix this..  Maybee I am wrong. Any sugestions or help greatlt apperciated.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 04:24:10 AM »

Before you follow any of this, you have to access the computers basic programming in the setup screen.  If you don't know what you're doing or aren't sure, get someone who is familiar with that to help you with this.  First, does your system have the PS-2 ports for the keyboard and mouse?  If so, you may have to borrow a keyboard/mouse to get your system working again, or you may have to use adapters to adapt your USB keyboard and/or mouse to use the PS-2 ports.  (Those are the small round six pin ports, usually colored pink and green.)

Continuing, it sounds like the embedded motherboard software start up programming may have been corrupted, specifically the USB legacy drivers.  Can you get into the setup screen?  Usually the 'delete' key or the 'F2' key is used to do this while the system is starting.  Look for the "legacy USB drivers" option to be enabled.  Most of the time that option is located in the 'onboard peripheral' screen.  If you can't find it or it isn't there, look for the 'restore default' option in the setup menu.  Usually that will restore the ability to use your keyboard and mouse.

If that fails, what you may have to do is to clear and reset the BIOS on the motherboard.  Usually, there is a jumper on three pins that has to be moved and put back while the computer is off.  Another way to do it is to remove the backup battery (usually a button type cell) from its holder for a few minutes and then put it back.  Be advised that you'll have to reset the clock and the basic parameters when you do this.

Finally, this may well be a hardware problem if all the above fails.  You may need to replace the motherboard.  Good luck and 73!

AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 07:44:22 AM »

Did you check the cable connecting the USB port to the mother board? Perhaps the cable is not firmly seated on the mother board header.

When you boot up, do you see any lights on the keyboard (e.g. the caps lock or numeric lights)? If it is an optical mouse, do you seen any light coming out from the bottom? If the answer is no, there is no power to the port.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:44:26 AM »

lights on the keyboard comes on during  boot up for a short while. Then just as screen where you put your password comesup the light on keyboard goes off..Power is the for a short while .Also I can access  the basic programming screen. Have tried changing things but to no avail. Going to mess with this afternoon.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 05:44:30 AM »

I kept messing with the computer yesterday got it up and running. Removed all devices from usb ports tried the other round ports you spoke of that did not work it started to but then failed. One round port worked while the other port did not work almost gave up at that point . I decided to try the usb ports one more time all of a sudden it worked. I went into safe mode first removed my password that I was using. I rebooted computer then restarted normally and it is working fine. I am disappointed that I did not get a chance to use any type of tape bummer. Also I did not utter a swear or curse words on this last go around maybe that was the trick who knows Huh. Thanks to the the hams out here that posted and helped me to fix this....  Take care and be safe out there..    73s.

Chuck/kc8ktn.....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: