Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So Intrepid is making announcement at Dayton regarding P5  (Read 4262 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2013, 03:57:02 PM »

What is your guess?

They leaving on Monday?

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 04:11:10 PM »

Is it true that the P5 QSL card is going to have a pic of Jong Un riding the UNICORN on it??   Shocked Shocked

73, Gene AF3Y
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 06:20:17 PM »

In some regards anything they say will be a best case scenario since no one can  predict what P5 will do even 24 hours in advance of them doing it  I wish them the best and wow is this one going to be one for the history books if they pull it off.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 06:37:22 PM »

From the Intrepid P5 site:

Dayton Hamvention

May 18th, 2013

Intrepid-DX Group members, Paul Ewing-N6PSE and David Flack-AH6HY have received visas to visit the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (North Korea) in June, 2013.

Paul will be traveling to Beijing, China in early June to meet our Chinese emissary who is the key negotiator on our behalf to bring a large multi-national Dxpedition to the DPRK. Paul will accompany the Chinese emissary to Pyongyang for further discussions.

We will present and discuss our proposal for a major Dxpedition, involving two teams of twelve members each to operate consecutively over a thirty day operation. This will allow each team member to work the Dxpedition from their home country.

In mid-June, Paul will return to Beijing, where he will be joined by David Flack-AH6HY. David has been to the DPRK many times and is our subject matter expert on the DPRK. Paul and David will then return to the DPRK and will visit and evaluate possible venues for the Dxpedition.

Paul and David will also visit “Love North Korean Children” Orphanage and Bakery locations in the DPRK. This is part of our P5 Project’s Humanitarian Appeal. In the fall of 2013, Intrepid-DX Group members N6PSE, AH6HY, K3LP and YT1AD will return to the DPRK and will continue to work towards our goal of conducting a major Dxpedition from within the DPRK. We will provide updates as necessary.

How you can help:

While we are not seeking any funding or support for our P5 efforts at this time, we would like to invite those who wish to donate to make a donation to the “Love North Korean Children” Orphanage and Bakery project. This is a very worth-while organization based in the UK. All of your donations will go to help the children in the DPRK.

How in the name of Dennis Rodman did they get a Visa to DPRK?

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 07:32:38 PM »

Money talks. Also, going through the main supporters of the DPRK...the Chinese...is the right path. It is obvious that the Intrepid Groups knows what they are doing, and the planning has been years in the making.  Just getting the visas shows major progress, and gives hope. Kudos to the group for outstanding delivery so far.  This is exciting!
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 08:48:53 PM »

Great progress for sure. Glad I already have P5 . . .   Grin

Just for laughs, I ran several queries for big name DX-ers in this log:

http://www.amsatnet.com/p5.html

Pretty funny what I found. Lots of dupes - by some very big named DX-ers . . . .

Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more, say no more . . .

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:08:59 PM by KY6R » Logged
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 04:34:24 AM »

Great progress for sure. Glad I already have P5 . . .   Grin

Just for laughs, I ran several queries for big name DX-ers in this log:

http://www.amsatnet.com/p5.html

Pretty funny what I found. Lots of dupes - by some very big named DX-ers . . . .

Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more, say no more . . .

Yea, it would be interesting to see how many uniques he actually had. I am guessing the average would be two or three QSOs per call sign. 

This would be their real advantage of being able to stay for a month. The first week would be big guns only then after that all of us little guys could duke it out.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 09:55:52 AM »

Wow hats off to Paul and David.  Amazing and hope all comes to fruition...
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 10:19:13 AM »

Hmmmmmmm......

South Korea says North Korea fires 3 short-range missiles

Wx2s.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 10:58:05 AM »

Hats off guys. Hope you can get in and out before the Tit-for-Tat craziness gets out off control.

Krish
w4vku
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 05:15:50 AM »

South Korea says North Korea fires 3 short-range missiles[/url]
Wx2s.
DPRK fires off missiles from time to time. That's nothing new.
Asia is easy to work from here, and I'd love to see an activation of P5 for an ATNO.
But I can't help but wonder how far the goodwill of amateur radio could penetrate the hermit kingdom, with the current attitude of its leadership.
How this contrasts with the support given by HM Sultan Qaboos bin Said for the Royal Omani Amateur Radio Society, since its establishment in the 1970s.
Respected Marshall Kim Young Un really needs to get out more, and see that the rest of the world is not as bad as his advisers insist it is. Until the people of DPRK can enjoy the freedoms the rest of us take for granted, I cannot see how amateur radio could be permitted there.
I'm not holding my breath on this one.
Luke VK3HJ
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 05:22:44 AM »

South Korea says North Korea fires 3 short-range missiles[/url]
Wx2s.
Asia is easy to work from here, and I'd love to see an activation of P5 for an ATNO.
But I can't help but wonder how far the goodwill of amateur radio could penetrate the hermit kingdom, with the current attitude of its leadership.
How this contrasts with the support given by HM Sultan Qaboos bin Said for the Royal Omani Amateur Radio Society, since its establishment in the 1970s.
Respected Marshall Kim Young Un really needs to get out more, and see that the rest of the world is not as bad as his advisers insist it is. Until the people of DPRK can enjoy the freedoms the rest of us take for granted, I cannot see how amateur radio could be permitted there.
Luke VK3HJ

The same comments could be made for the leaders of the U.S. Fish & Wildlife folks. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 07:00:20 AM »

Come on, comparing the folks at USF&W to Kim Jong-Un and the leaders of the DPRK? You object to them putting some areas off-limits (a policy supported by elected administrations from both major parties) because it denies you the possibility of making a radio contact with a new "entity" (a First-World game you play to pass the time, which the vast majority of the world's population would find silly and meaningless), and you equate this to the actions of a murderous regime that starves its own people. That kind of hyperbole is one of the reasons it's so difficult to have meaningful political discourse in the US. Please make the obligatory comparison of Obama to Hitler (as others did with Bush) so we can get that out of the way and move on.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 07:44:35 AM »

Come on, comparing the folks at USF&W to Kim Jong-Un and the leaders of the DPRK? You object to them putting some areas off-limits (a policy supported by elected administrations from both major parties) because it denies you the possibility of making a radio contact with a new "entity" (a First-World game you play to pass the time, which the vast majority of the world's population would find silly and meaningless), and you equate this to the actions of a murderous regime that starves its own people. That kind of hyperbole is one of the reasons it's so difficult to have meaningful political discourse in the US. Please make the obligatory comparison of Obama to Hitler (as others did with Bush) so we can get that out of the way and move on.

I would've wrote a similar reply but you read his comment first.  To compare a dictator to those who work at USF&WS is asinine!
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 07:55:11 AM »

Luke VK3HJ

Kim Jong Un went to school in Switzerland.  He's very familiar with conditions in the West.  He also has a brother who spends his days gambling at the tables in Macao.  They have one set of rules for the ruling family and another set for everybody else.

Right now the young dictator has to prove to the military he's a tough guy and worthy of his title. Hence the missiles which were launched and sentencing an American, Kenneth Bae, to 15 years of hard labor.  Bae was involved in the tourist trade (why anybody would want to spend a vacation in that hell-hole is beyond me) and he was helping to feed North Korean orphans. His work with the orphans and that he is a Christian are likely the reasons he was singled out and punished.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: