Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex-5000 Discontinued  (Read 15272 times)
SWL2002

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »

Expect to see a flood of used Flex5Ks on the market, in addition to the ones already being sold because of the F6k, due to Flex discontinuing to manufacture the F5K.

-robert
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 11:30:32 AM »

Expect to see a flood of used Flex5Ks on the market, in addition to the ones already being sold because of the F6k, due to Flex discontinuing to manufacture the F5K.

-robert

Will that's one way to fix its troubled history.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 12:01:19 PM »

-robert

Will that's one way to fix its troubled history.

Unfortunately for guys who want a Flex, this leaves a gap in price between the F3K which is $1700 and the cheapest Flex-6500 which is $4300.  The F3K only does 96 kHz max, so if you wanted 192 kHz, then you are out of luck unless you buy a used F5K.   Seeing how fast Flex dropped the F5K, I think I would think seriously before buying a used one.  I am seriously considering selling my F5K before the price drops too much.
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 12:13:04 PM »

IMO, discontinuing the 5000 is a mistake on Flex's part.  Unless, they are prepared to drop the price on the entry level 6000 into the low $3000 dollar range, or come out with a new mid range priced SDR, the cost gap is too large.  The choice to purchase from Flex is to now spend $1600 for a Flex 3000 or spend $2600 more for a Flex 6000. That's a big jump, one that I believe most folks won't easily accept.

I guess from a marketing view, at least they can now attempt to lock folks into the $200.00 upgrade and support fee Tongue.

I recently picked up a used 5000a at a good price, so the release of the 6000 did benefit me in a way.  I've been happy using it with the current version of Power SDR on a fast PC with sufficient memory.  I haven't experienced any of the complaints that I've read here (lock ups, RFI, bad audio, etc).  Using the Flex 5000 with my Alpha 9500 at legal limit works FB.  I don't see myself purchasing another Flex SDR anytime in the next few years.

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 12:38:44 PM »

Seeing how fast Flex dropped the F5K,...

The first Flex-5000s were shipped in August 2007. That seems like a pretty good run for an innovative radio. In terms of hardware, 5000s are very durable. Flex repair service is excellent.

BTW, I see on a Flex group that someone is now saying the 3000 was always Flex's "bread and butter."  But on Eham there have been more reviews for the 5000 than the 3000 or the newer 1500. Discontinuance of the 5000 will leave a hole.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 01:23:11 PM »

The first Flex-5000s were shipped in August 2007. That seems like a pretty good run for an innovative radio. In terms of hardware, 5000s are very durable. Flex repair service is excellent.

I find this in error as it has always been a problem child and RFI sensitive. Also software always was its weakness. Flex never got it right and are giving up. Given how unresponsive they were to some software problems when it was still being sold it will only get worse now.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 02:41:44 PM »

Flex 5K is 6 years old now. It's within the common industry EOL window of 5 to 9 years. It's had the same lifespan as each iteration of the Yaesu FT-1000.

The 3K is only 4 years old. Flex should keep it in production until they come up with a similarly priced replacement using Ethernet, USB3or both, instead of firewire. The $1400-1600 price point is an important one in the industry.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 02:57:56 PM »

My understanding from the Dayton interview I just watched is that they didn't have a lot of options as far as continuing to manufacture the 5K. The vendor they got the cases from was discontinuing that type of work and getting replacements/retooling would have driven the price of the 5K up closer to that of a 6500. Especially a 5K with a 2nd RX option. Good radios get discontinued all the time because of parts sources drying up.  The Yaesu FT-847 HF/satellite radio is a perfect example of that. An excellent rig that died before it's time. I expect you will see something to fill the gap between the 3K and the 6500/6700 series soon enough especially with the competition from Apache heating up.
 Honestly I could see the 5K demise coming back as soon as the VHF/UHF modules disappeared. If I could afford it, I'd still like to have a fully decked with all options, including VHF/UHF, 5K even if it was used.  Still love my 1500 but seriously miss my 5K.
Michael, W4HIJ
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 05:12:20 PM »

I wish they would fill the gap between the 3k and the 6500 with a stripped down 6000 series with a price in the $2499 to $2999 range.  Maybe two slices max or something like that.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 05:59:59 PM »

My understanding from the Dayton interview I just watched is that they didn't have a lot of options as far as continuing to manufacture the 5K. The vendor they got the cases from was discontinuing that type of work and getting replacements/retooling would have driven the price of the 5K up closer to that of a 6500. Especially a 5K with a 2nd RX option. Good radios get discontinued all the time because of parts sources drying up. 

You believe everything Flex says when their claim and timelines are seldom true. Case is a poor excuse as they could of used another off shelf case and called it a 5100. As far as parts it is not that old. I would not say it was a good radio either because as many or more people hated them than loved them. I would like to see a rig with same amount of complaints. None come remotely close. 

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 06:42:10 PM »

My understanding from the Dayton interview I just watched is that they didn't have a lot of options as far as continuing to manufacture the 5K. The vendor they got the cases from was discontinuing that type of work and getting replacements/retooling would have driven the price of the 5K up closer to that of a 6500. Especially a 5K with a 2nd RX option. Good radios get discontinued all the time because of parts sources drying up. 

You believe everything Flex says when their claim and timelines are seldom true. Case is a poor excuse as they could of used another off shelf case and called it a 5100. As far as parts it is not that old. I would not say it was a good radio either because as many or more people hated them than loved them. I would like to see a rig with same amount of complaints. None come remotely close. 
Every rig and  every brand out there has it's share of complaints against it and has detractors. All have faults. I have yet to find a perfect radio and I doubt one exist nor will it ever exist.  You show your ignorance by claiming that any off the shelf case could be used. Changing cases would not only involve re engineering but most important of all, it would require a new round of testing for type acceptance which isn't cheap.  Maybe the big three can afford that for a slightly updated rig that they tack a "D" designation on but a smaller company like Flex can't. Not without passing it on in the form of a price increase for the radio and when that price increase would drive the price up near to the next model up, it doesn't make logical business sense to do so. I have no dog in this fight as I can't afford the high end radios anyway but I know what makes sense and what doesn't.
Michael, W4HIJ
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 06:49:17 PM »

I would expect that over time, the 3k and 1500 will also be discontinued.  They will probably be replaced by direct sampling receivers derived from their work on the 6000 series.  Maybe not in a year or two, but eventually.
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 07:25:08 PM »

I would expect that over time, the 3k and 1500 will also be discontinued.  They will probably be replaced by direct sampling receivers derived from their work on the 6000 series.  Maybe not in a year or two, but eventually.
Yep, all radios eventually get discontinued. Just like computers, cars and a ton of other stuff.
We live in a throw away world.
 It will be interesting to see what Flex replaces their older radios with. Something in the price range of the 3000 would be nice. Or even a qrp rig like the 1500.
james
WD5GWY
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 07:53:58 PM »

Every rig and  every brand out there has it's share of complaints against it and has detractors. All have faults. I have yet to find a perfect radio and I doubt one exist nor will it ever exist.  You show your ignorance by claiming that any off the shelf case could be used. Changing cases would not only involve re engineering but most important of all, it would require a new round of testing for type acceptance which isn't cheap. 

Well Flex has more complaints than the big three combined. As far as ignorance there is nothing hi-tech about that case that it could not be easily dupped or subbed. Kenwood and Yaesu saw a massive loss of parts sources with Tsunami and many suppliers gone for good and you did not see them discontinue any rigs because of it.

Flex is trying to play with big boys and act like a high roller when they are far from it. They are real good at excuses and BS though. The had a lot a practice with 5000.

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 12:16:54 AM »

Every rig and  every brand out there has it's share of complaints against it and has detractors. All have faults. I have yet to find a perfect radio and I doubt one exist nor will it ever exist.  You show your ignorance by claiming that any off the shelf case could be used. Changing cases would not only involve re engineering but most important of all, it would require a new round of testing for type acceptance which isn't cheap.  

Well Flex has more complaints than the big three combined. As far as ignorance there is nothing hi-tech about that case that it could not be easily dupped or subbed. Kenwood and Yaesu saw a massive loss of parts sources with Tsunami and many suppliers gone for good and you did not see them discontinue any rigs because of it.

Flex is trying to play with big boys and act like a high roller when they are far from it. They are real good at excuses and BS though. The had a lot a practice with 5000.
And you know they have more complaints how? Someone elect you to keep track of it? I have seen complaints left and right about certain Icom radios failing. I loved my Kenwood TS-2000X I once owned but the dang thing had a birdie right in the middle of a popular satellite downlink.  The Yaesu 450 I owned had issues with ergonomics like too small of a tuning knob etc. etc. I worked in the retail end of the ham radio business. I've seen complaints about every type of radio out there. And yes, you are being ignorant! If nothing else changing the case would involve paying a lab to do type acceptance test again because of RF shielding considerations and such. You seem to want to  ignore that part of the money equation. Those test aren't cheap by any means. The big three afford such things for small radio upgrades by separating people like you from thousands of dollars for mediocre radios with substandard RX's.  A 600 dollar Flex 1500 RX beats radios out there that cost a couple of thousand easy. I know, I've compared them. Get over yourself, the Japanese manufacturers are laughing at you all the way to the bank!
Michael, W4HIJ
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:21:41 AM by W4HIJ » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: