Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex-5000 Discontinued  (Read 16306 times)
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2013, 06:06:34 PM »

VAC is $25. About the price of a good set of analog cables, isolation xfrmr, and the time to shop for them.
VSPE 64bit is $25.

So, $50 in software that is clearly documented on the Flex site is a deal killer on a $800 FLex 1500 or a $3000 5000?

If that is the case, the buyer needs to seriously examine their finances and spend less time buying ham gear.

Putting matches to straw men.

K5TED
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2013, 06:21:52 PM »

I don't "contest".

What exactly is this purported "focus" "problem"?

It is obvious that you do not contest. Try using the most popular contesting program N1MM  (Free) and the Flexradio in a contest.

You will quickly find out what losing focus is all about and also you will understand why any serious contester shuns the Flexradios like the Plague..

Stan K9IUQ

IMO, "serious contesting" with a cutting edge SDR, but relying on logging software that looks like something from 1998 is annoying and boring. In fact, "serious contesting" in general is annoying and boring to me. I only do it for casual fun and with QRP from field locations.

Even the free version of HRD Logbook is more appealing to me than that free N1MM. Just my personal opinion.

I don't grade radios using the benchmarks set forth by "serious contesters", no more than do I grade automobiles by the benchmarks set forth by weekend drag racers.

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2013, 06:26:34 PM »

So, $50 in software that is clearly documented on the Flex site is a deal killer on a $800 FLex 1500 or a $3000 5000?

Of course you conveniently omitted this info in your original post, insinuating that no extras are needed for digital ops.

VAC is written by a Russian ham and Flexradio relies on his software for the digital modes. NO VAC and no Flexradio digital modes. IMO Flexradio should have put this VAC functionality into PSDR. However as everyone knows Flexradio does not spend any more effort than they have to.

Providing Truthful Information about Flexradios and irritating Flexers with the Truth since 2010. No need to call anyone names, truth speaks for itself.

The Straw Man -  a new one for me

LMAO
Stan K9IUQ
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2013, 06:37:57 PM »

Of course you conveniently omitted this info in your original post, insinuating that no extras are needed for digital ops.

VAC is written by a Russian ham and Flexradio relies on his software for the digital modes. NO VAC and no Flexradio digital modes. IMO Flexradio should have put this VAC functionality into PSDR. However as everyone knows Flexradio does not spend any more effort than they have to.

Providing Truthful Information about Flexradios and irritating Flexers with the Truth since 2010. No need to call anyone names, truth speaks for itself.

The Straw Man -  a new one for me

LMAO
Stan K9IUQ

Actually, Stanley, I didn't "insinuate" anything of the sort. Pray tell, which mainstream amateur radio manufacturer, in a line of product comparably priced with the current Flex line, and with the exception of the Icom 7200 and Kenwood 590, offers free digital interface and cabling as a standard accessory, out of the box? The answer is, NONE. Which mainstream amateur SDR manufacturer offers free virtual audio cable software with any of their radios? NONE. (that I know of) Therefore....

Putting a match to straw men..

K5TED
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2013, 06:38:14 PM »

There's a free version of VAC and a paid one. I never paid for VAC.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2013, 06:40:14 PM »

Even the free version of HRD Logbook is more appealing to me than that free N1MM. Just my personal opinion.

A personal opinion by an admitted NON-Contester.

Prettiness not considered in Contest loggers, speed and reliability along with easy of use are top prioritys.

I answered your question. And you try to spin my answer. Serious contesters use serious Contest software. N1MM is serious contest software, HRD is laughable as contest software. N1MM is arguably the Standard for contest loggers.

Stan K9IUQ
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2013, 06:44:24 PM »

Last time I tried the free one, years ago, it had an annoying female voice that popped up every 15 seconds or so.

On the other hand, and I have not tried it with the Flex, "com0com" should work for the CAT control. It's free.

http://com0com.sourceforge.net/

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2013, 06:49:01 PM »

A personal opinion by an admitted NON-Contester.

Prettiness not considered in Contest loggers, speed and reliability along with easy of use are top prioritys.

I answered your question. And you try to spin my answer. Serious contesters use serious Contest software. N1MM is serious contest software, HRD is laughable as contest software. N1MM is arguably the Standard for contest loggers.

Stan K9IUQ

Yes, Stanley. But this thread is about Flex 5000 being discontinued. Not N1MM. Or contesting.

For what it's worth, contesters don't drive the ham radio industry. There are plenty of us who just like to experiment with radio and don't mind trying new things, working through our own operating procedures and adapting if needed.

By the way, I wonder which boats "serious boaters" use?

Putting matches to straw men..

K5TED
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2013, 06:52:54 PM »

What you mean is you are using a Trial version refusing to pay the $25 for the efforts of the programmer. Cheap Cheap Ham and IMO not honest.

If I use software I pay for it. I do not try to cheat the programmers outta $$ nor will I get a free copy from a "friend" Imagine that.

Stan K9IUQ
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2013, 06:59:28 PM »

What you mean is you are using a Trial version refusing to pay the $25 for the efforts of the programmer. Cheap Cheap Ham and IMO not honest.

That was 3 years ago. Cheap? I'm just forgetful. OTOH no Russian babe popped up on MY machine. What did she say, TED?

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2013, 07:12:17 PM »

That was 3 years ago. Cheap? I'm just forgetful. OTOH no Russian babe popped up on MY machine. What did she say, TED?

Hold on... Lemme check...

Yep... She keeps repeating, "Стэнли раздражает" over and over...
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2013, 07:25:49 PM »

LOLOLOL Стэнли раздражает.

Fortunately I speak fluent Google Translator Russian.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2013, 07:31:13 PM »

I don't "contest".

What exactly is this purported "focus" "problem"?

It is obvious that you do not contest. Try using the most popular contesting program N1MM  (Free) and the Flexradio in a contest.

You will quickly find out what losing focus is all about and also you will understand why any serious contester shuns the Flexradios like the Plague..

Stan K9IUQ

This "focus" problem is being made into more than it is. By default Windoze reduces priority when a task is not in active window. This is really easy to change with a couple of mouse clicks. It has been that way since NT days. Modern computers are more than up to easily handling SDR in back ground if you take time to change the default setting.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2013, 08:58:44 PM »

Flex went to a lot of trouble to appease "serious contesters" suffering from the "focus problem". It's called the "Flexcontrol USB Controlled Tuning Knob" which allows "you to have your logging program, or any other program for that matter active while interactively operating the radio".

(italics from the Flex site)

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2013, 09:03:08 PM »

Flex went to a lot of trouble to appease "serious contesters" suffering from the "focus problem". It's called the "Flexcontrol USB Controlled Tuning Knob" which allows "you to have your logging program, or any other program for that matter active while interactively operating the radio".

(italics from the Flex site)

You still need to change default window setting if you want priority processing in background.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: