Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex-5000 Discontinued  (Read 17943 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2013, 05:33:27 AM »

This "focus" problem is being made into more than it is. By default Windoze reduces priority when a task is not in active window.

Modern computers are more than up to easily handling SDR in back ground if you take time to change the default setting.

You do not seem to understand the focus problem,it has nothing to do with running PSDR in the background or prioritys.

I will make this as simple as I can as most of the posters seem not to contest and do not understand this focus problem.

To run a contest on a Flexradio you need to run at least 2 programs at once. PSDR and a Contest logger. You need PSDR to change bands and operate the Flexradio. The logger logs your contacts. Here is the problem. In the heat of battle it is very easy to forget which window is active-PSDR or Logger. Say you have the PSDR window active but think the logger window is active for commands. You send a logger command but instead it goes to PSDR since it's window is active. All of a sudden the Flexradio changes Band and suddenly you are transmitting 40 meter RF into your 20 meter beam. At legal limit. This is quite thrilling and guaranteed to make you wish you had a K-3.

It is quite easy to lose focus of which window is active when using PSDR and a logger. The only way around this that I know of is to run PSDR on a dedicated computer and the logger on a different computer.

Stan K9IUQ

SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2013, 07:29:05 AM »

This "focus" problem is being made into more than it is. By default Windoze reduces priority when a task is not in active window.

Modern computers are more than up to easily handling SDR in back ground if you take time to change the default setting.

You do not seem to understand the focus problem,it has nothing to do with running PSDR in the background or prioritys.

I will make this as simple as I can as most of the posters seem not to contest and do not understand this focus problem.

To run a contest on a Flexradio you need to run at least 2 programs at once. PSDR and a Contest logger. You need PSDR to change bands and operate the Flexradio. The logger logs your contacts. Here is the problem. In the heat of battle it is very easy to forget which window is active-PSDR or Logger. Say you have the PSDR window active but think the logger window is active for commands. You send a logger command but instead it goes to PSDR since it's window is active. All of a sudden the Flexradio changes Band and suddenly you are transmitting 40 meter RF into your 20 meter beam. At legal limit. This is quite thrilling and guaranteed to make you wish you had a K-3.

It is quite easy to lose focus of which window is active when using PSDR and a logger. The only way around this that I know of is to run PSDR on a dedicated computer and the logger on a different computer.

Stan K9IUQ

And with two computers, you gotta make sure you grab the correct mouse and are typing on the correct keyboard.  In the heat of battle, it is very easy to grab the wrong one!
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2013, 08:39:17 AM »

The only way around this that I know of is to run PSDR on a dedicated computer and the logger on a different computer.

Stan K9IUQ

Stanley and I agree on that point.

IMO, there was a mistake made in the very beginning with Flex marketing not making absolutely clear that the Flex Radio represents a paradigm shift in not only radio operation, but in shack configuration, that is, "more than one PC".

It should have been made clear that the PSDR PC is to be used almost exclusively for PSDR, and perhaps a digi mode program or any application that needs a VAC connection to PSDR. In other words, the PSDR PC is a sort of "virtual equipment rack". and should be treated as such, not as s supplemental desktop for logging and checking email.

Consider the case of the Flex 5000C. Would you attempt use the integrated PC to do logging as well rather than using your existing shack PC? Would you have purchased a 5000C with hopes of using it as your shack computer? If the answer is YES, then you are not fully understanding what the PSDR PC represents in the context of a Flex SDR.

Granted, on the Flex site it is stated that, "It is more and more common for amateur radio operators using software defined radios to utilize various software programs at the same time they are running FlexRadio PowerSDR.  In order for all of the programs to be visible at one time, a very large single display or multiple monitors are employed.  The FLEX-5000C uses Intel's Embedded Graphics Drivers to provide support for high resolution monitors and dual-display configurations. "   It should have been made clear that the use of programs requiring keyboard mapping for normal use should not be used simultaneously with PSDR on the Flex 5000C PC platform.

Finally, this brings us to the conclusion that the logical method of configuring your Flex shack would be to have an exclusive PSDR PC, and a separate shack PC if other ancillary computing is desired. By the way, with free programs like com0com and com2tcp, it is easy to port radio/PSDR PC com to a secondary PC and logging software over the home network. What I'm getting at is that all of this is possible by implementing some other disciplines like data networking and serial communications over and above the "plug n' play" level of hobby computing. I would like to believe that most "serious contesters" are familiar with rather complicated radio configurations, and shouldn't be daunted by a few computing complications that are well documented and easily implemented. Hams are generally pretty smart fellers.

This brings up around to the question, what about all these SDR over Network interfaces? Seems to me we will ALWAYS have the "focus problem" with ANY logging application running in conjunction with ANY SDR applications mutually using key mappings.

Whose fault is it then? What to do?
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2013, 09:31:39 AM »

The Windows Focus Management issue is not unique to SDRs.

You can experience the same issues using CAT programs with loggers.

There are TweakUI and Registry adjustments that can help, though it is almost always possible to miss-focus when running several active programs.

Other techniques include Focus Management programs, use of Touch Screens, running VMs with various programs "sandboxed" (which in many ways is using the VM software to do Focus Management) and use of special outboard hardware.

Case in point, the Windows Focus Management issue has nothing to do with the Flex-5000 being retired.

Steve
K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2013, 11:07:42 AM »

The Windows Focus Management issue is not unique to SDRs.

You can experience the same issues using CAT programs with loggers.

There are TweakUI and Registry adjustments that can help, though it is almost always possible to miss-focus when running several active programs.

You do not need Tweak UI or registry adjustments for this. It is point and click in advanced system settings tab and in Task Manager. Been that way with 32 bit Win since NT4

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2013, 11:04:31 AM »

Now that the 5000A is discontinued, it might be a good time for Flex to update their web site. It still has pictures of the 5000A front and rear panels with the caption

Front-panel view of the new FLEX-5000A full duplex 160M through 6M 100W all mode transceiver.

I think that "new" is no longer applicable here!   Cheesy
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2013, 11:27:43 AM »

Now that the 5000A is discontinued, it might be a good time for Flex to update their web site. It still has pictures of the 5000A front and rear panels with the caption

Front-panel view of the new FLEX-5000A full duplex 160M through 6M 100W all mode transceiver.

I think that "new" is no longer applicable here!   Cheesy

They do have a nice announcement explaining the end of production of the Flex-5000A

Steve
K9ZW

BLOG:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2013, 12:01:55 PM »

They do have a nice announcement explaining the end of production of the Flex-5000A

Steve
K9ZW

BLOG:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

What's nice about it? Lol

That said, all things come to an end, so we all need to move on.  Mine will sit on the shelf for a few months and then be sold for what I can get for it.  Ho Humm

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2013, 01:20:02 PM »

If anything I imagine the value of the 5K will actually see an increase on the used market. Especially the fully decked out models that include the VHF/UHF module.
Michael, W4HIJ
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2013, 05:45:33 PM »

I'm open to the latest greatest, as long as it truly represents a substantial improvement. Admittedly, I am not an "early adopter".

The proof will be when another SDR transceiver manufacturer actually retires a popular model after something close to a normal run, say, at least 4 or 5 years.

Meanwhile, Anan looks pretty awesome, but so did the Russian Sun-SDR, and the Wonder Radio before it.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2013, 07:57:52 PM »

If anything I imagine the value of the 5K will actually see an increase on the used market. Especially the fully decked out models that include the VHF/UHF module.
Michael, W4HIJ

Somehow I doubt that. I look for prices to drop.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2013, 07:45:50 PM »

Michael, W4HIJ

Somehow I doubt that. I look for prices to drop.
Depends.... If more people hold on to their 5K's because they know they are no more then the used prices will go up because the radio will become more rare to find.  If a lot are let go and a glut is on the market then they will go down. I think the first option is more likely.  The fully decked models with the VHF/UHF module are already pretty hard to come by from what I've seen. Folks that have them have enough good sense to hold on to them. There isn't likely to be a replacement  between the 3K and the 6500 anytime soon ( the next year or two) and a lot of folks can't make the jump up too a 6500, they will hold onto their 5K's.
Michael, W4HIJ
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 07:48:29 PM by W4HIJ » Logged
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2013, 08:13:49 PM »

Too bad they couldn't do another run on the VHF/UHF modules or have made an Ethernet upgrade, could have got another run of sales on them if they had.

Probably hold mine for a while as a backup rig.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2013, 08:45:03 AM »

Given that the 3000 is stll being made and many of the 5000's core components are used in 3000 it makes you wonder about real reason for dropping it.  It is likely purely a marketing move.

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2013, 12:38:20 PM »

I believe it's a savings move.  Lol, they probably don't make much on them after you figure in support costs.  Look for the 3000 and 1500 to be replaced soon by DDC models, that's my prediction!  Their support costs due to the FW interface and windows issues are surely sky high.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: