Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elenco model 77 SSB Transmitter from the 1950's info wanted:  (Read 7626 times)
N3IBX

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2013, 02:09:34 PM »

Hello All,
             Very recently I acquired a very early phasing type ssb Amateur transmitter, a Elenco model 77 that covers from 10 thru 160 meters with only 3 different coils in the output tank circuit. I do have a manual for it, but it's one of the most complex transmitters I've ever laid my eyes on. Apparently it uses 2 or 3 different reference frequencies to achieve the desired output frequency, kind of almost a superheterodyne receiver in reverse used for transmitting purposes. Additionally, from what I can gather, all Amateur frequencies between 10M and 160M are covered using only three different output coils. I stand corrected on my initial evaluation of it since I'm still trying to understand how it works before I apply power to it.

Does anyone have any experience with the above transmitter or know anything about them and how they functioned? Any information, no matter how small will be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to understand how it works before I apply power to it so I can find out if it is operational or not. If not, I'd like to get it going!

There is also a device that came with the transmitter that plugs into one of a few octal sockets on it's rear panel. it has a 6J5 and a 6SK7 tube in it. A cable terminates to a octal plug that could be connected to one of 3 female octal sockets on the rear panel. Could anyone possibly identify what this device may be?

if you know anything about the Elenco ssb transmitters, particularly their model 77, or have owned one at one time, I'd really like to hear from you! I'd love to figure out what I have in order to make it operational. My direct email address is: n3ibx@verizon.net

Thanks for the bandwidth!

Joe Cro N3IBX
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 07:32:11 PM »

That's one rare transmitter... and very costly at $695 Eisenhower era dollars! This is about all I could find in G. No picture of it found.
====================================================

The ELENCO ''77''
300 WATTS
Instantaneous Peak Envelope
Power Input
AM-SSB-CW Complete
IMMEDIATE DELIVERY

CHECK THESE OUTSTANDING FEATURES
POWER
Enough to —
► Drive a KW grounded grid linear
► Use as a complete Transmitter

FLEXIBILITY
^ Bandswitching 1 0-1 5-20-40-80-1 60 meters
► SSB-AM-CW operalion at the flip of a switch
► VFO BUILT IN. Calibrated in 1 K.C. divisions— ALL bands
► Selectable sideband operation at the flip of a switch

RELIABILITY
► Triple cascade crystal filter provides excellent carrier and unwanted side-
band suppression. (80 db unwanted sideband, 100 db carrier suppression).
Filter guaranteed for the life of the unit

OPERATION
Real operating ease and convenience afforded by —
► Built in voice control circuits (plug-in voice control relay)
► Built in speaker control circuits
► All operating controls at the fingertips on front pone!
VFO operates continuously. Unit requires no "warm-up" period

RUGGED CONSTRUCTION
► Panel, '/s steel relay rack type. Beautiful Concord Blue finish
► Cabinet, !/i6" steel. Contrasting Marine Blue finish. Size, 21" wide, 15" deep,
101/2" high. Weight complete, 67 lbs. Domestic shipping weight, 76 lbs.
ELENCO "77" complete, $695-00

Order direct or through your distributor
Write to Paul N. Wright, W90HM at
!=ELECTRONIC ENGINEERING CO., wabash,ind.=!
N3IBX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 09:50:32 AM »

Still looking and hoping for information though I've made some progress with the transmitter.
Many thanks for any help.
Joe Cro N3IBX
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 04:15:00 AM »

HEY JOE
Where have you been??
FRED
WB8HF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 08:23:07 PM »

Joe,

Surplus Sales of Nebraska lists what seems to be the right manual (although they list it as an Exciter, rather than as a transmitter).  They also state that unless noted otherwise, all manuals (reprints) include a schematic.

http://www.surplussales.com/Manuals/man_e-misc.html

Scroll down to the line that says “(PUB) ELE-77 Elenco 77 80-10M SSB Exciter    20.00”  - click the “Add” link to add it to your shopping cart.  

Bill / WB8HF
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 08:25:17 PM by WB8HF » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: