Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All the billionaries are investing in empty boxes..hurry before the bubble burst  (Read 3986 times)
WY4J

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2013, 02:33:29 PM »

I was perusing grins and saw this listing asking $35 for an empty box. Gonna sell all my equipment and invest the money in empty boxes to sell to the ham radio operators. Do it fast before everyone gets in it.

I also heard that the next big ham radio used memorabilia market will be in deleted ham related email messages. Heard hams are paying up to $50 for rare one. I heard that some amateur operator paid $150 for a rumor. But I understand that it was a very rare rumor and not a common one.

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?391749-Eimac-3-500Z-Box-w-Packaging
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 03:16:45 PM »

Unfortunately, the box would have to be in "mint" condition to command that price.  Now the problem is to figure out how to get the tube out of the box with out opening it!  Mr. Scott, beam it up?
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 03:36:41 PM »

I don't find the idea absurd.  Collectors collect things.  Tube collectors collect tubes as well as tube boxes.   The value of anything is what a will buyer will pay a willing seller.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 04:51:21 PM »

Ham radio operators aren't the only ones that want a "complete" unit of [whatever] even when buying well used equipment.

If you want to see the value of an original box, look at collectible toys.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 05:04:51 PM »

Last time I checked all the empty boxes made by Bud and Hammond are selling for big bucks!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 05:23:18 AM »

I have an empty cash box that I'll sell for $10.98 plus shipping and handling.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 07:06:24 AM »

JKA:  I could never afford a cash box..... always kept mine in an old sock..... but that was a long time ago.  I haven't needed cash storage for some time now.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 07:34:05 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if someone bought it!  I was cleaning out a house and found some old wooden cheeze boxes in fair to poor shape. An "antique" dealer gave me $5 apiece for them! You could fit 4 of them in the Emiac box!
Hey, the guy gave it his best shot...ya never know what someone might want!

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 08:45:31 AM »

Sorry guys I just increased my price to $350.00 plus shipping and handling.I was just informed by a knowledgeable collector that this box could be worth thousands to a person able to restore it to its original use and not just buy it for display purposes.I intended to display it myself,but since my XYL is French/Canadian all available flat surfaces and window shelves in the house is already spoken for.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:47:49 AM by W1JKA » Logged
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 05:24:35 PM »

This is really taking off, just read.

This box is so rare that he is only entertaining offers:

http://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=1064339

No charge for the box where these boxes will be shipped in. What a deal!

BOXES for VX-170 and VC-24 VOX Headset PRODUCT BOXES FOR THE VX-170 YAESU HT & THE VC-24 VOX HEADSET. $10 each OR $15 FOR BOTH. SHIPPED FREE. Thanks for your interest.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 09:15:10 PM »

All this puts a new spin on the popular habit of expecting to pay more for a used item "in the box."  (i.e., purchase a piece of well-used gear for web resale at a marquette de fleas and make the eventual buyer think it's like new)

Before long, we'll have the Chinese counterfeiting original boxes.

WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 01:52:56 PM »

W6EM, you are so right boxes seem to magically make the item new again. With so many ham resellers and the Ebay idiots driving the prices of used ham equipment through the roof you don't really know what you are buying anymore unless you are able to read between the lines, research the seller and ask a bunch of questions. Folks out there only are looking to sell their use gear for 10 or 20 bucks less than if you purchased brand new.

Case and point. I've been looking (not very hard0 for a used Heil HM-12 that sells for $59 but all the used ones selling on Ebay or the ham sites have gone for at least $50. I rather just pay the $9 for a new one.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 06:58:54 PM »

....... I've been looking (not very hard0 for a used Heil HM-12 that sells for $59 but all the used ones selling on Ebay or the ham sites have gone for at least $50. I rather just pay the $9 for a new one.

Too funny.  Fits the eBay model, alright.  I've even seen Chinese parts sellers pricing at or above what Mouser wants.  Sure, if the freight's free, it might make it equal.  But, always the concern about them being within spec...
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 11:27:38 AM »

I just paid $200 for a safe, does that count as buying an empty box?

I make it a point to keep shipping boxes from equipment mainly because if it needs to get shipped somewhere, I have a container that's made just for that device. If I sell it later some buyers will pay more if the box is there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: