Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restore SB220  (Read 1821 times)
WA5YOM

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2013, 11:06:07 AM »

I am starting a restoration project on my Dad's old SB220 linear....have ordered some parts from Harbach Electronics......and am looking for a QSK kit.....

I blew out all the dust.......

Will order new 3-500Z's.....

What would be the right chemicals to use for the general cleanup of the chassis and the components?

Thanks,

Tim
WA5YOM
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 11:48:51 AM »

Tim:  You didn't say what kind of "dirt" you're trying to remove.  That's a major factor in determining what "the best chemical" is for cleaning it.

If you're talking finger oils, just dirt in general I've found that Windex and a terry cloth rag does wonders.  Windex on the front panel and knobs work great.

If you going to the extreme which includes cigarette tar then it might be necessary to go to more suitable chemicals.  Deoxit has been mentioned here many times for cleaning band switch contacts and controls. 

It would be good for you to research this question on eham.com.  The subject has been addressed many times.

Good luck.
N7TEE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 10:29:44 AM »

Tim,

You could clean the chassis by putting it in the dish washer.  Of course you have to take all electronic. parts off it.  Worked wonders for one of mine.  It was in the barn for about 5 years.  Lots of crude inside.  The case can go the same way.  You might want to do it when the wife is not home.

Dave
N7TEE
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 11:31:06 AM »

Heathkit SB-220 Compendium
by John White, VA7JW
http://www.orcadxcc.org/content/sb220_compendium_va7jw_rev1.pdf

Jim Coville, W7RY makes a QSK board for many HF amplifiers, including Heathkits.
http://www.qrz.com/db/W7RY

The Vacuum Relays (popular Jennings RJ1A-26S, Kilovac HC-1, and Gigavac GH-1)
can be acquired from Max-Gain Systems.
http://www.mgs4u.com/RF-Microwave/vacuum-relays-SPDT.htm
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:39:14 AM by W9GB » Logged
WA5YOM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 04:27:20 PM »

The SB220 has always been inside....mostly just a heavy accumulation of dust...I blew it out.....but thought there my be a chemical that might clean it so it would look new.....
Mostly I am talking about the chassis...

Thanks,
Tim
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 08:30:52 AM »

I would try the old tubes before buying new ones, unless you know for sure they're really bad.

The dishwasher method works but you have to tear it pretty far down to do that right.  If you're not interested in a big job like that I've found using a cleaner with a soft brush to get in the crevices and a rinse down with lots of fresh water with a light stream from a hose does a pretty good job.  The hose allows a more controlled application of the rinse so you can avoid items of the assembly you would otherwise have to remove for the dishwasher.  Leave it dry in the sun for a warm afternoon.

Careful of even some common household cleaners like 409 - I've seen that stuff dissolve silkscreened lettering on panels.  Diluted simple green seems pretty safe. 

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: