Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wouxun KGUV6D V2 HT Flashlight LED Voltage?  (Read 13223 times)
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2013, 11:23:55 AM »

I buy the Wouxun because they are reasonably priced, sound great and are IP-55 rated. They are better quality than the Baofeng I sold. I expect a few glitches to be fixed under warranty. The "Big 3" have become way too overpriced for a basic dual receive HT and they load them up with stuff I'll never use. Who needs a gazillion memories or a built in TNC for basic operation? $300-600 is too pricey for me for something I may drop, lose or have stolen. Inflation in the HT market is ridiculous.

With electronics so cheap at the wholesale level, a good solid basic dual band /simultaneous receive should be available from the "Big 3" for under $200.

As I've said before, even the "big 3" and (Motorola low end consumer grade stuff) have some models made in China.  I sold a Yaesu FT-270 that said made in China right on the box.

I'm hoping the competition from China will force the Japanese to drop their prices, but I suspect the Chinese will just raise theirs equivalent to the Japanese, and when that happens, I'll stop buying them and look for the next up and coming competitor. It's all about comparison shopping when inflation is rampant.

By the way, I have dropped my other Wouxun hard a couple of times on concrete and everything still works, even the flashlight.

73.  Todd - KT0DD
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »

One product with a defect does not a trend make. 
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2013, 04:19:21 AM »

As stated , $40 with free shipping , here a a new dual bander with a boatload of assessories....And it is on Amazon.com

http://www.slickguns.com/product/new-baofeng-uv-5ra-ham-two-way-radio-free-shipping-4217

KC8ADU

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2013, 09:32:27 AM »

i suspect its a generic 5mm toy grade white led that is being overdriven to early death.driven to spec they are still junk!
get a nichia gs to replace it.
or a cree c503 series.
you can even pick your tint and beamwidth.
at the price point these units are at be happy you got a few qso's out of it!
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2013, 07:52:17 AM »

Well, I sent the radio in to be repaired with a note to use an aftermarket LED from another supplier other than Wouxun if possible. I also asked them to check the voltage dropping resistor for proper voltage and current, and to install a slightly bigger resistor if needed.

We'll see what happens. 73.
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2013, 06:49:14 AM »

Well, had the radio looked at, several LED's were tried with no results. The technician decided it was most likely a bad switching transistor. The dealer did not want to pay to ship the radio back to China for factory warranty repair as postage was too high. I had the radio sent back to me unrepaired and sold it to someone who didn't care about the LED.

I suspected that the dealer I was buying from got a bad lot and so I purchased one from another dealer. It has been working flawlessly.

Chalk another one up to poor China quality control. However, if you get a good one they are a great radio.

73. Todd - KT0DD

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 08:39:36 AM »

So we see that the problem was not due to the choice or type of LED at all!  

A bad transistor.  It happens.  

Yours truly would be in there, replacing that tranny, dontcha know.  

The given link to service manual/schematic does indeed identify that transistor, as T926 in PIC13.  Very likely a stoopid switching NPN...

In the time it took these guys to knock the manual, actually far less time, was able to scroll through and find that info rather quickly.  Those who want to also be shown exactly where and on which board or the likes are stuck in Heathkit mode of thought I guess. 

A competent technician should have solved this problem the first time around. 

If SMT surgery on a  40 buck radio intimidates you, toss it, get another...

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:47:23 AM by KE3WD » Logged
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2013, 07:14:15 AM »

Well, my first couple of issues with my other radios, (I own 3 KGUV6D's) was the LED which was the reason I suspected another LED issue.

Unfortunately with age, I have lost too much eyesight and steadiness of hand to attempt SMT work. I can still barely do old through hole work.

I have found a local guy to do SMT work in the future but hopefully I won't need him.

Happy hamming all...73.

Todd - KT0DD
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 08:18:28 AM »

Not to put too fine a point on it, but sometimes the cut rate parts sold to these makers will be good--and the radios will also be OK, but most of the time, cut rate parts (lots rejected for various reasons by radio makers with good QC departments) yield cut rate 'garbage' end products. 

It's like it's been said many times--you get what you pay for.
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2013, 07:09:52 PM »

The dealer did not want to pay to ship the radio back to China for factory warranty repair as postage was too high. I had the radio sent back to me unrepaired and sold it to someone who didn't care about the LED.

So neither the dealer of the factory was prepared to completely honor the warranty by issuing a properly-working replacement unit?  That's a shame.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 05:30:26 AM »

The dealer did not want to pay to ship the radio back to China for factory warranty repair as postage was too high. I had the radio sent back to me unrepaired and sold it to someone who didn't care about the LED.

So neither the dealer of the factory was prepared to completely honor the warranty by issuing a properly-working replacement unit?  That's a shame.

It's just another instance of getting what you pay for.  These 'dealers' are usually people who will buy these radios in lots and then resell them.  They don't charge much because they don't have the repair department larger dealers have--they send out their warrantee repairs to the manufacturers and won't send out a working unit because that will cut into their meager profits.

If you don't pay much, don't expect to get much--including warrantee repair services.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: