Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wouxun KGUV6D V2 HT Flashlight LED Voltage?  (Read 14693 times)
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 02:59:50 PM »

Ya , its a shame , there are like 50 versions of that HT....

Simply Google "China made HT's" or use key words like "Junk Ham Radio Hand Held" or whatever , they are all over the place

THIS is interesting as Icom now knows...

http://www.icom.co.jp/world/notice/

Click on the links with-in...

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 03:07:35 PM by N4ATS » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 03:25:44 PM »

I studied the schematics , they are pretty much throw-away  as every single curve was taken to get the cost down and you can replace the entire HT for under $40.00

They are a generic China made , kinda like "IIcom" (Not Icom) and "Kenwoo" (NOT Kenwood)

Here is the Baofeng version which comes with a crap load of extra stuff... Also they have several other names like boopang WX , Mo-py FM and a host of other non-listed names

http://www.slickguns.com/product/new-baofeng-uv-5ra-ham-two-way-radio-free-shipping-4217

Damn. That is funny! I did not even know you could get schematics. I thought those companies were real tight lipped about that stuff. But good to know.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 03:29:30 PM »

Its a generic schematic.

http://wouxun.su/UserFiles/File/service_manual_wouxun_kg_uv6d.pdf

Its kinda like Chiropractors, Most are dumb azzes BUT they only know what they learn from the master dumb azz, so you really can't blame them.

They will be extinct in a few years now realizing the damage they cause...BUT the master dumb azz made millions..

Google "Chiropractic Quacks"

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:28:54 PM by N4ATS » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 04:43:14 PM »

Its a generic schematic.

http://wouxun.su/UserFiles/File/service_manual_wouxun_kg_uv6d.pdf

Its kinda like Chiropractors, Most are dumb azzes BUT they only know what they learn from the master dumb azz, so you really can't blame them.

They will be extinct in a few years now realizing the damage they cause...BUT the master dumb azz made millions..

Google "Chiropractic Quacks"

Cheers

I work at HRO on Saturdays, and one reason we won't get the Boafangs (aside from quality), is that we cannot trace where the hell they come from and get factory support. The Wouxons are backed by Powerwerks, which is why we sell them.

The Wouxuns sell pretty well, largely to ARES/RACES and other Emergency guys. Their excuse? It they lose it or break it, then they do not care. The security firms and some police and fire also buy the wideband version. Same reason.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 02:01:03 PM »

Interesting posts people write about these crap radios , read the long one on this "Puxing UHF" radio that will transmit anywhere.....

http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B007CCNN3A

Or the Cherda "X1 Long Distance" Ham Radio

http://walkietalkie2012.en.made-in-china.com/product/CeyxJzIlbBUi/China-X1-Long-Distance-Radio-Transceiver-Ham-Radio-Walkie-Talkies-CD-X1-.html

Qixiang , yipee

http://w6aux.blogspot.com/2013/01/chinese-dual-band-mobile-comparison.html

Or howabout a Jinmatong?Huh (could it be Thong?)

http://www.google.com/search?q=china+made+ham+radio&biw=1280&bih=871&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&wrapid=tlif136925811233210&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=gDidUaroEIHy9gSvvYDoDw#imgrc=TiJPSxzyCHwU5M%3A%3BCpFy5JKNF2P8mM%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Flh6.googleusercontent.com%252F-rvGFOtF3Tlk%252FTXZYaXXWNgI%252FAAAAAAAAAm8%252FiXqh-Luhylg%252Fs1600%252Fjinmatong-3.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fblog.g4ilo.com%252F2011%252F03%252Flook-out-yaesu.html%3B800%3B616
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:34:34 PM by N4ATS » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 04:32:45 PM »

You now got me wanting a Boopang. For no other reason than to say I own a Boopang.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 06:09:03 PM »

-You are using a $40 radio as if it was a $5 flashlight.

-After burning out two radios it is clear that your usage is beyond that expected by the designers, and therefore inappropriate.

Solution:  Buy a flashlight, and promise not to use it as a radio!

-The manufacturer has bent over backwards to acommodate you, but don't be surprised when they refuse further repairs/exchanges.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 06:54:16 AM »

-You are using a $40 radio as if it was a $5 flashlight.

-After burning out two radios it is clear that your usage is beyond that expected by the designers, and therefore inappropriate.

Solution:  Buy a flashlight, and promise not to use it as a radio!

-The manufacturer has bent over backwards to acommodate you, but don't be surprised when they refuse further repairs/exchanges.

That's ridiculous. 

First of all, you do not have any data as to how much or how long the user attempted to use the light, you are simply making assumptions here. 

Secondly, the length of time of use of an LED should be measurable in at least millions of cycles. 

And given the typical low current draw of the LED, meaurable in two digit milliAmp figures, use of the light should NOT stop the light from working. 

One of the frequently repeated eham forum threads involves changing the old filament bulbs to LEDs - and the reason for that is the very much increased Mean Time Before Failure. 

Blaming the user for the failure thus does not make any sense. 

Other than trolling for trouble, that is. 

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 08:22:15 AM »

No, the user isn't to blame.  The faulty assumption here is that the unit was designed such to accommodate all use cases and not just a select (unknown) few.    You're right, an LED should last for years and work great.  That assumes correct application engineering and construction.  The reasons it's failing could be crappy/wrong LED's, poor electrical or thermal design, other incorrect parts, on and on.   After 2 or 3 tries of doing the same repairs and having the same failure, one has to concede and come up with a different plan.  Unless you want to embark on an engineering exercise to confirm the validity of the design and components you're left with little else than to accept it's "broke" and buy a $3 flashlight.

I've encountered a few instances with products where clearly boundary conditions were not considered or accommodated and one manufacturer even responded, "we're sorry we haven't met your expectations".  At that point you're kinda done.  You either accept the shortcoming, fix it yourself or buy a different product.  Eventually the market will weed this stuff out if enough users are affected.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 11:58:45 AM »

"That's ridiculous.  First of all, you do not have any data as to how much or how long the user attempted to use the light"

KE3WD, Correct , however China made? Reliabilty is near zero , use it once and it works , you are already ahead.

"Eventually the market will weed this stuff out if enough users are affected."

Mark, Then why is MFJ still around? I like your answers a lot

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:02:37 PM by N4ATS » Logged
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 06:21:44 AM »

why is MFJ still around?

Because they offer products people are willing to buy despite some of the reputation they've earned over the years for poor quality control.  Really not a lot different than the Whoflungdung radios coming out of china now.  For $60 or whatever you're not going to expect a lot and if the thing works at all when you get it then you're probably going to consider it a reasonable value.  I would offer that even if every radio LED burned out right away, many would still consider it an acceptable tradeoff vs the purchase price. I suspect that not a lot of people will use the light more than a few times and thus will not experience a failure, so ignorance is bliss.  Maybe on the next spin of the radio the issue will be addressed.  Maybe not.  If people still buy the radio even knowing the LED will fail, then that's still the market at play.

I've bought my share of MFJ stuff over the years and not once experienced an issue with an assembly problem.  It's probably a case of a few failures getting a lot of exposure rather than an endemic quality issue.  Clearly enough people are willing to take a chance on MFJ to keep them in business.  Makes you wonder if the cheap chinese radio companies will end up taking over the big three's market share, and have them end up as subsidiaries - just as MFJ has ended up owning other equipment manufacturers by dominating the "bottom end" of their market.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 10:48:59 AM »

I've hammed long enough to remember the same type of prejudicial snarking about the Japanese made rigs. 

A lot of those same snarking hams eventually bought one, likely due to lower price and the fact that many of us were willing to take the chance on one (or as in my case, a young airman without a lot of money available for his chosen hobby) and were heard on the air, took a lot of teasing and downright mean comments about same, but the naysayers eventually couldn't talk around the truth, the fact that, while the Japanese mfrs did have a few problems to work past, they did and they flourished. 

Some of us younger users of the early Japanese gear, not just in ham radio, but in the audio, test equipment and other fields, were so impressed with the value, performance, build quality and features we were seeing actually became evangelists concerning the Japanese electronics.  After working in the service industry at the test benches where factory service, warranty service and, of course out of warranty service started listing more and more of the Japanese brands, I became extremely impressed with their electronics. 

Now the Chinese have entered the market and we witness the same old and tired dance. 

It is very likely that the Japanese Big Three will be setting up manufacture of their designs in China, as well.  We've already seen that happen for almost all of the Japanese audio manufacturers. 

Meanwhile, the price of admission will assure that at least some of these Chinese mfrs and brands will likely get the chance to improve in quality and very likely are poised to become the "next big thing" for the Appliance Operators. 

And then there will be another country bidding for entry into the market and the same will start all over again concerning them. 

Racial, Ethnic, National, whatever prejudice and those who spout it are likely to always be there, simply because you can't fix stupid. 

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 10:56:43 AM »

Now the Chinese have entered the market and we witness the same old and tired dance.

The same folks pooh-poohing the chinese Whoflungdung radios probably make three trips to Wally World every week and don't give it a second thought.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 06:45:04 AM »

Back when the Japanese electronics started flooding the US market and I was working as a young bench tech part time to get thru EE school, there was indeed one parameter that was a bit perturbing and sometimes downright funny. 

The early Japanese service literature for US use suffered from some rather bizarre translations, typos and other anomalies. 

The first service manual for the Ikegami TV cameras was like that, not to single out any one mfr or brand, for they ALL could make for a strange look on a technician's face from time to time.  Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sansui, etc. on and on seemingly ad infinitum.

Some of the Cautions and Warnings could stop you cold at the bench. 

"CAUTION - When adjusting, do not calibrate!"

"CAUTION - Adjust C13. do not turn screw." 

"Lower voltage is higher voltage..."

And the circuit description paragraphs were best left unread...

That situation, while humorous, was soon solved, though and they went from there to issuing some of the best manuals one could desire to have. 

N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2013, 10:59:24 AM »

"The same folks pooh-poohing the chinese Whoflungdung radios probably make three trips to Wally World every week and don't give it a second thought"

This is the most awesome statement thus far....
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: