Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't need SIGNAL REPORT for valid QSO?  (Read 17633 times)
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 12:20:10 PM »

As previously noted above, the topic answere is No.

To Wit: Typical 2X QRP qso no number report

Sri ur vry weak bt cpy sum
   Sri QRM on top agn pse
   Ok got most QSB QSB
   FB sig wid ur 3 watts es attic dipole,band gud today
   Vry nice sig the prop gods are with us

Strange as it seems the occasional or at least part of and truthfull RST does get through even though not needed for a short 10-15 min. exchange of basic info or a 20 min to an hour long rag chew in all kinds of up/down conditions.Yet QSLs are exchanged and accepted by the variuos award entities.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 01:40:50 PM »

You should have sent him a new QSL card with a report of 0/0  Grin

I got a 33 once. I think I also got a 40. He heard me, but with no signal. Now how the hell is that possible?
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 02:11:52 PM »

I got a 33 once. I think I also got a 40. He heard me, but with no signal. Now how the hell is that possible?

I gave a friend on the Geratol Net 3.668 in the South East a 40.   I wasn't use to weak signals at the time and I looked over to my radio and didn't see a signal on my meter so I said 40 and then I lost him..  Everyone heard 40 and were wondering ?   I emailed him my apologies.   Worked him the next night or shortly after.   That's when I learned to use 22,33,44 etc.   Just one lesson..  Grin
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 02:13:05 PM »

Having once made the mistake of putting a 47 RST on a QSL card, I now put either a 59 or 599 as appropriate.  The Ham that got the 47 E-Mailed me to berate me for not giving him the 59 he DESERVED,

Yikes! You've got to tell us his call!
--------

Many years ago there was a major award called "WAC 599" which was pretty damn hard to get with 1950s/60s equipment and accurate reporting.  Any old timers here have that award?
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 02:56:09 PM »

Having once made the mistake of putting a 47 RST on a QSL card, I now put either a 59 or 599 as appropriate.  The Ham that got the 47 E-Mailed me to berate me for not giving him the 59 he DESERVED,

Yikes! You've got to tell us his call!
--------

Many years ago there was a major award called "WAC 599" which was pretty damn hard to get with 1950s/60s equipment and accurate reporting.  Any old timers here have that award?

I take it you know the whole Kilroy story....?
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »

Having once made the mistake of putting a 47 RST on a QSL card, I now put either a 59 or 599 as appropriate.  The Ham that got the 47 E-Mailed me to berate me for not giving him the 59 he DESERVED, irrespective of the fact that his signal WAS a 47.  After a flurry of E-Mails were exchanged, I ended up filtering out his several addresses and he FINALLY went away mad but, he did go away!

If we ever work, feel free to give me a 47, a 33 or whatever. I operate QRP and appreciate honest signal reports. I actually got a 59+10 to a country in eastern Europe, and the only thing I can figure is that his meter was on the way down from a more powerful signal when he heard me. Seriously, I'm probably not 59+10 into my back yard! Smiley

-- Tom
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 04:34:58 PM »

I gave a friend on the Geratol Net 3.668 in the South East a 40.   I wasn't use to weak signals at the time and I looked over to my radio and didn't see a signal on my meter so I said 40 and then I lost him..  Everyone heard 40 and were wondering ?   I emailed him my apologies.   Worked him the next night or shortly after.   That's when I learned to use 22,33,44 etc.   Just one lesson..  Grin

At least I am not alone! LOL
WD8KNI

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 05:52:48 PM »

One of the worst things that ever happened was placing "S" meters on rigs. On any night on 40 you can copy the WAS (worked all states) nets.. after asking for 20 repeats you always get a 59 report.. Its just stupid, as are the nets for that purpose..

Bill Fred WD8KNI is call you, Do you hear him, after 5 calls from Bill you hear,
wd8kni your are 59, 59 ,59, 59, 59, 59, 59, 59, 59, 59 QSL  .. I copy WD8KNI.. valid contact.. QSL.
I have actually gotten 59 reports when I did't even transmit..

When I receive a QSL card with different signal reports than I sent in the trash it goes..

just plain dumb, and the sign of a real cheats..

The most fun you can have during a contest is moving hundreds of people up the band by posting a fake exotic call on a DX reflector...  Hundreds of people calling a station they didn't even hear because it didn't exist..  Clears up the portion of the band you are really using for contacts..very quickly the most fun you can have during a contest..  BTW don't use you call on the internet reflector sign in with a different call..  Fred
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 12:18:24 AM »

One of the worst things that ever happened was placing "S" meters on rigs. On any night on 40 you can copy the WAS (worked all states) nets.. after asking for 20 repeats you always get a 59 report.. Its just stupid, as are the nets for that purpose..

Bill Fred WD8KNI is call you, Do you hear him, after 5 calls from Bill you hear,
wd8kni your are 59, 59 ,59, 59, 59, 59, 59, 59, 59, 59 QSL  .. I copy WD8KNI.. valid contact.. QSL.
I have actually gotten 59 reports when I did't even transmit..

When I receive a QSL card with different signal reports than I sent in the trash it goes..

just plain dumb, and the sign of a real cheats..

The most fun you can have during a contest is moving hundreds of people up the band by posting a fake exotic call on a DX reflector...  Hundreds of people calling a station they didn't even hear because it didn't exist..  Clears up the portion of the band you are really using for contacts..very quickly the most fun you can have during a contest..  BTW don't use you call on the internet reflector sign in with a different call..  Fred

I get real reports on the nets.  It's usually 22, 33 or so unless it's closer to the West Coast.

Some of the nets say the call sign and others only say the name of the operator.   As for the QSL confirmation.. it's an honor system like eQSL.   I delete eQSL from time to time and haven't received a bogus QSL card yet.. but new.

As for the bogus exotic DX.. I can imagine that for sure.
NQ3X

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 04:27:41 AM »

The most fun you can have during a contest is moving hundreds of people up the band by posting a fake exotic call on a DX reflector...  Hundreds of people calling a station they didn't even hear because it didn't exist..  Clears up the portion of the band you are really using for contacts..very quickly the most fun you can have during a contest..  BTW don't use you call on the internet reflector sign in with a different call.. 

That isn't the most douche-baggy thing I have ever heard, but it's close.   Undecided   Let me see if I have this straight: you don't like dealing with the same interference that all American amateurs are required by regulation to tolerate, so you pose as someone else, post a false spot and think that'll clear "your" frequency (to which you are by no means entitled) for more than a few seconds?

If that's your idea of "fun", you really ought to get out of your mother's basement.  Because to normally socialized humans, that's called "being a pr!ck."

Bob WP2XX
WD8KNI

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 12:05:32 PM »

Bob, are you one of the guys "broadcasting" to stations you didn't even hear and relying on things not ham radio to tell you where to broadcast, hopefully improve your score..  Not long ago there was a contest outlawing DX clustering.. you should have followed the cluster and listened to the band.. all were 100% cheating..  Its great fun listening to them also confirm to the non-existant station.. That is the state of Ham Radio today..

BTW its not about my dealing with interference that was your words. I won't work contests because of the cheating that goes on.. Interference is your words not mine.. 

I really like to listen to the guys that have a "cost per qso" of thousands of dollars..  I simply enjoy listening to all of them at the same time at the same place trying to out dog each other..  I and others are doing a service to the small guy who can't hear anything because of splattering, screaming signal and the "this is my frequency"  crap..  Some operate the entire contest and do nothing except pushing buttons..  and you use words like douch-baggy .... please

lets see posted by NQ3X signed by Wp2XX ..   makes one wonder about douche-baggy things..  Fred  Grin
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 12:16:17 PM »

There are at least a couple QRP awards where exchange of an actual logged RST report is required to count towards the award.

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 01:37:12 PM »

The most fun you can have during a contest is moving hundreds of people up the band by posting a fake exotic call on a DX reflector...  Hundreds of people calling a station they didn't even hear because it didn't exist..  Clears up the portion of the band you are really using for contacts..very quickly the most fun you can have during a contest..  BTW don't use you call on the internet reflector sign in with a different call.. 

That isn't the most douche-baggy thing I have ever heard, but it's close.   Undecided   Let me see if I have this straight: you don't like dealing with the same interference that all American amateurs are required by regulation to tolerate, so you pose as someone else, post a false spot and think that'll clear "your" frequency (to which you are by no means entitled) for more than a few seconds?

If that's your idea of "fun", you really ought to get out of your mother's basement.  Because to normally socialized humans, that's called "being a pr!ck."

Bob WP2XX

Bob, you got it wrong.  This scumbag can't possibly have anything that resembles a "pr!ck".
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 03:36:57 PM »

"If you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all."

Mom knew best.

WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2013, 12:11:26 AM »

There are at least a couple QRP awards where exchange of an actual logged RST report is required to count towards the award.

Roger, we need to follow whatever the individual requirements are for that certain Net or Contest.. it's just that if we can't copy the signal report for an ordinary QSO or DX - we don't need it.   We have the other stuff already like the call sign, date, time, freq. and mode.   

I'm thinking I'll send a note with "22" for the signal report if I can't hear one in the future.   Hopefully they put the QSO in their log.    Now I KNOW I should log everything once I get the call sign.   I can always reply "22".

This is a big deal.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: