The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I NPOTA?  (Read 6940 times)
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 01:53:36 PM »

"How do I NPOTA?"   
[/quote

Go to a NP and put it OTA.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KJ3N

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 11:31:29 AM »

Be sure to participate in LoTW and upload your QSO's with a certificate for the locations you activate.  Your QSO partners will be happy that way, as they do not accrue points until their QSO's are confirmed in LoTW.

As soon as I saw LoTW was required to participate, I said, "no thanks".
W2IBC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 06:45:10 PM »

Be sure to participate in LoTW and upload your QSO's with a certificate for the locations you activate.  Your QSO partners will be happy that way, as they do not accrue points until their QSO's are confirmed in LoTW.

As soon as I saw LoTW was required to participate, I said, "no thanks".

same here

I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!
K9PLG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 01:21:06 AM »

Don't understand the objections to LOTW - it's not that hard to setup and use IMHO.  They have to have a way to log and confirm contacts and LOTW is the best way to do this with double-blind matching of QSOs. The W1AW/p WAS event in 2014 was very popular and successful as evidenced by the overall number of QSOs logged and confirmed (I wonder how many WAS awards were issued from it??). I got the WAS plus 3 non-state entities overall and had a blast chasing the various state & other activation's. Seems a percentage of our fellow licensees are simply grumpy old men that dislike anything they don't understand or can't master. Can't please all the people all the time I guess. LOTW does take some computer literacy, but I think you don't need a degree in computer science to figure it out.. The LOTW setup process / instructions could be written a little better though. I don't think they were written by professional technical writers... If they could get the folks who used to write the Heathkit manuals to do it, it would probably be much easier. They made sense to me, but I do happen to have a degree in comp.sci. so I feel I have somewhat of an advantage... Either way, I think it's a great year long event and provides the paper chasers something to chase...
KJ3N

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 12:50:16 PM »

It's always amusing to watch some people assume that the objections to LoTW have to do with being a old, technophobic, illiterate moron.  Roll Eyes

I was on LoTW under my old call.... for about 20 minutes. Wasn't hard to set up at all. I "only" have a HS education. When I discovered it was a double-blind system, I logged off and went back to eQSL. Since I didn't keep much of a log back then, I had no records to upload. LoTW was useless to me.

If you're a U.S. licensed ham, but not an ARRL member, the LoTW system is still useless, IMO. You get no access to apply for any awards at all. I see no reason to participate in a system that imposes a "poll tax" on top of the normal LoTW fees, especially when that "tax" isn't imposed on hams outside the U.S.A.

If the ARRL ever opens the awards system to everyone, regardless of ARRL membership or not, then I'll consider signing back up. I'm not going to hold my breath.
WB0MPB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 08:43:17 AM »

If you don't sign up for LoTW you are penilizining those of us that want a confirmation of a QSO between you (that did not sign up) and me (that did sign up ).  Since you are unwilling to sign up I can't get that confirmation.  That's not being a very nice fellow ham.  Maybe you don't want the award or to spend the money but you could help me get me award by being a nice fellow ham and uploading to LoTW for me. That doesn't cost you anything to be a nice guy and help me out.  Why would you not want to be a nice guy and help me out??
John, WB0MPB
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 09:20:22 AM »

[/quote]    Isn't there a guy who operates on the air while he rock and mountain climbs?
[/quote]

At least one, WG0AT with his goats Rooster and Peanuts.
K3CXG

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 01:22:03 PM »

Now it's Peanut and Boo.  Sadly, Rooster is SK - gone to the Great Goatbarn in the Sky.
N1FM

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2016, 12:03:05 PM »

Is anyone going to 'activate' the Stonewall Inn in NYC, or is that designated as a 'don't ask don't tell' contact in LoTW?

There's a 7.7 acre park across the street that's included as part of the monument... plenty of room for a dipole, or a large vertical.

I have a friend in Canada who's already expressed interest in visiting the monument.

Wink

New York
40.73364°N 74.00212°W

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/06/24/stonewall-inn-national-monument/
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2016, 08:27:38 AM »

N1FM...Is that supposed to be humorous?  Just wondering.
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2016, 11:14:19 AM »

If you don't sign up for LoTW you are penilizining those of us that want a confirmation of a QSO between you (that did not sign up) and me (that did sign up )...............

Nope, I don't do LoTW or eQSL but if we have a QSO I will send you a card via bureau. Send a QSL card direct and mine will be sent in return in the mail that night.

Peter DL8OV
N5KO
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 02:05:13 PM »

This topic has run its course and is locked.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: