Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batteries may be soon obsolete  (Read 4933 times)
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 01:23:34 PM »

Now I'm being lectured on energy density. 

gotta luvit

I'm trying to discuss the subject... sadly your ego is louder than anything I could possibly contribute.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2013, 01:28:43 PM »

A graphene (or otherwise) super-cap is NOT going to suffer from the same safety ills as a Lithium-based battery.  So the future use case for the standalone super-cap (note that many lithium-type battery designs use super-caps) is different, and potentially better, MUCH better.
But you really do not know that until there are examples to test.

Of course!

The real data will come when industry tries to turn it into a marketable product.
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2013, 01:29:42 PM »

The connection is with energy density. Higher energy density leads to higher volatility.
So the issue with any energy storage device is stability.

I guess my question is do the safety risks associated with energy density really apply to a passive device such as a super cap (Graphene or otherwise) compare to the risks associated with devices using chemical-based storage (Lithium etc)?

Mike N2MG

Well we know that failing electrolytic capacitors do sometimes explode. I've had them pop on logic boards, both during testing and passively due to age.

They usually leave a scorch mark on the PCB. And smell pretty bad.

Which is why I'm pointing out the energy density issue, because if a cap had the storage capacity of a larger battery... would the failures be more or less catastrophic?

N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2013, 01:33:31 PM »

Good point. 

Somehow, to me, the relative inert nature of a thin layer of carbon compared with lithium, or some electrolyte, gives it a potential edge.

Again, we must wait for it to be shown.
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »

Good point. 

Somehow, to me, the relative inert nature of a thin layer of carbon compared with lithium, or some electrolyte, gives it a potential edge.

Yes, but you also bring up a good point. Noted. Smiley
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2013, 03:43:16 PM »

I'm trying to discuss the subject... sadly your ego is louder than anything I could possibly contribute.

You've already lost any argument the moment you resort to the ad hominem attack, y'know...

It means that you've run out of salient ideas. 

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2013, 04:49:53 AM »

Good point. 

And that is one reason why I stated what I did.  Even though it seems to be usable, it still hasn't been proven as safe and reliable enough to replace batteries, especially higher capacity ones.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2013, 04:52:56 AM »

Now I'm being lectured on energy density. 
gotta luvit

Thanks.  I couldn't seem to come up with the words you used regarding that gentleman.  Anyway, my problem is solved.  The ignore button is useful in cases like this.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: