Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mitsubishi Mini Split AC / Heater RFI  (Read 9790 times)
N2OAM

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2013, 01:38:12 PM »

Hi All,
               I've had it with window AC units and have decided on a mini split system.  Guy came out today and took measurements and I asked him about RFI complaints from previous installs.  When he told me about the inverter powered variable speed compressor, I thought.......inverter>>>>square waves>>>>>harmonics>>>>>RFI.  He told me they did one installation in a house owned by a ham op, and had no RFI problems.

Anyone have a MITSUBISHI mini split system?  Any RFI problems, especially on HF?  Thanks for your time!

73 de bob,
N2OAM
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:29:30 AM »

get the other guy's phone number from the installer and check his references.  there is no substitute for talking to the guy that has one.
N2OAM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 01:25:26 PM »

That's why I posted my question here.........someone here must have one of these systems, they are quite popular.  Companies may be  reluctant to give out their customers personal info, that's why I didn't ask.

Bob
N2OAM
W7AKV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 04:40:46 PM »

n2oam

I am a hvac installer in portland or. I have been to a few classes and all the reps in these classes say anything within 10 feet of indoor or outdoor unit
may get rfi. The good news is they are very quiet and compact. I have put in all brands and Daikin ductless seems to be the bullet prof one. I would put it in your contract that if units interferes with your station they need to fix it or give money back. Also with the r 410 refrigerant it is very important that the person installing a system uses proper refer procedures.

good luck   w7akv
N4JZY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 11:21:36 PM »

Hello

Did you put in the split system and how did it work out. I am also getting ready for a Mitsubishi split system install. Inside and outside units will be very close to my rigs and antennas.

Merry Christmas
Randy/n4jzy
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 04:12:45 AM »

n2oam

I am a hvac installer in portland or. I have been to a few classes and all the reps in these classes say anything within 10 feet of indoor or outdoor unit
may get rfi. The good news is they are very quiet and compact. I have put in all brands and Daikin ductless seems to be the bullet prof one. I would put it in your contract that if units interferes with your station they need to fix it or give money back. Also with the r 410 refrigerant it is very important that the person installing a system uses proper refer procedures.

good luck   w7akv
Do include it on  your contract!  I told the installer of our central heating system, that they needed to include verbiage to the effect that if I had interference, caused by devices they installed, they would either fix the problem, or refund my money back, and replace the old heater.  This makes them VERY serious, and very careful, about fixing RFI, and making sure it is not there in the first place.  Bring it up early on in the discussion...  I told every installer I got a bid from that it was a showstopper if they would not include that verbiage into the agreement.  I have no RFI, and did not from the start.  They called the manufacture, and got assurances that the heater they put in was quiet, and it is...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W2BLC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 05:49:28 AM »

I have the Mini-Split and really like it. I have not heard a squeak from it on any of the bands - it is quiet in the house, does a fine job of heating/cooling and sure beats the annual window installs of the ACs.

My concern is hurting the wall unit with a 160 meter antenna running within 10 feet of it. I run 800 Watts.

Bill W2BLC

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 10:20:47 AM »

get some hardware cloth and build a Faraday cage for that wall unit, direct to a ground rod.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 05:46:00 AM »

The dominant RF ingress mechanism to the wall unit is not it acting as an antenna (where shielding would be useful) but through the I/O wires. The path is antenna to wiring to wall unit and highest RF level is common-mode. If it proves to not be immune to your levels of 1.8 MHz RF the first mitigation step is to add ferrite core chokes to the I/O leads.

There are many suitable clamp-on ferrites. An example is the Fair-rite 0431176451 made of type 31 material. Mouser stocks this particular core and DX Engineering stocks this or similar cores. Winding a set of wires 10 times though this core provides a choking impedance of 3000 ohms at 1.8 MHz with the complex model being 1300 +j2700 ohms.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fair-Rite/0431176451/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs2JV%252bnT%2fvX8DnyNnUWGDaGlHS9jrX%2fq94%3d

http://www.dxengineering.com/search/product-line/dx-engineering-rfi-suppression-snap-on-ferrite-beads?tw=ferrit&sw=DX%20Engineering%20RFI%20Suppression%20Snap-On%20Ferrite%20Beads

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 05:48:22 AM by WX7G » Logged
N4JZY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 07:59:58 AM »

Hello N2OAM

I am in the process of having a Mitsubishi split system put in the shack also. It will be very close to equipment and antennas.
Can you let me know how your system worked out with the potential RFI from the split system.

Thanks, Randy/N4JZY                         
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: