Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here We Go Again- No Panafall on New Flex 6000 series  (Read 14276 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2013, 02:19:43 PM »

There will be NO Panafall on the 6000 series Smart SDR software. Unless you want to wait for a year or so. Flexradio CEO Mr. Youngblood promised the panafall will be released before the 1 year Free software window. Since Flexradio's past track record on delivering promises is very poor, one has to wonder what else is going to be missing in SmartSdr?

Cmon Flexradio, The Panafall is the major advantage of owning a Flexradio. You are going to make early adopters wait up to a year to get the Panafall? What a way to run a business. Yet more promises.

Stan K9IUQ
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 02:40:18 PM »

That really sucks! I wonder what their justification for this could be?
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »

Many of us have been waiting for the circus to begin.  Time to get your popcorn sit back and enjoy.  $7499 for this!

Tim,  N9RO

Real techies don't use knobs.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 03:16:42 PM »

That really sucks! I wonder what their justification for this could be?

When has Flexradio needed justification for anything? They have a cult of Flexboy lemmings who will spin, make excuses and defend them no matter what.

Releasing SmartSdr without a Panafall would be like a Jap Radio manufacturer releasing a radio with analog readout, promising that they would upgrade the radio to Digital Readout within a year.....

FWIW you can read all about this fiasco on the Flexradio  reflectors.

Stan K9IUQ

W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 04:52:33 PM »

Stan K9IUQ

Thanks for pointing me at the reflector, Stan. I needed my dose of comedy for today so I went and took a look. In addition to the threads on the Panafall issue, there's a thread about the 6700 at Visalia and one guy (a software guy with an alphabet soup of degrees after his name) said that the two most impressive pieces of software that he's seen recently are PowerSDR and the Toyota Prius control software.

LMAO! I drive a Prius and don't recall its software locking up while I'm driving down the freeway or the brakes responding with lag after I stomp on the pedal. PowerSDR, on the other hand...
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 06:03:24 PM »

Stan K9IUQ

LMAO! I drive a Prius and don't recall its software locking up while I'm driving down the freeway or the brakes responding with lag after I stomp on the pedal. PowerSDR, on the other hand...

Thanks for a good laugh! Smiley

I predicted they would release with lots of stuff missing.  I just got my Anan 100D today and other than the notch filters it all appears,to be there so far.  Lots of testing and playing to do yet.

K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »

There will be NO Panafall on the 6000 series Smart SDR software. Unless you want to wait for a year or so. Flexradio CEO Mr. Youngblood promised the panafall will be released before the 1 year Free software window. Since Flexradio's past track record on delivering promises is very poor, one has to wonder what else is going to be missing in SmartSdr?

Cmon Flexradio, The Panafall is the major advantage of owning a Flexradio. You are going to make early adopters wait up to a year to get the Panafall? What a way to run a business. Yet more promises.

Stan K9IUQ

Stan - you owe FlexRadio yet another apology.

The Beta Software and Initial Full Release will not have a Waterfall (yet).

Here is what they have said:

>I'm afraid you've gotten bad information. As VP of Software Development at
>FlexRadio, I can state with authority that not only will SmartSDR have a
>waterfall display, but that it is high on the priority list for us. This
>is the same position we have had since SmartSDR was conceived. While it is
>a high priority, we will not hold shipment of FLEX-6000 series radios for
>this feature. Thus, the initial release of SmartSDR will not likely
>include a waterfall mode. We do not have a timeline for release of this
>feature, but I fully expect it to come within the free software period for
>everyone that has purchased a 6000 series radio to this point. I hope this
>clears up any confusion surrounding this feature.
>
>
>Eric Wachsmann
>VP Software Development
>FlexRadio Systems
>*Tune in Excitementâ„¢*

I can state unequivocally that anyone who has already purchased a radio is
going to have waterfall before the end of their included software period.

Eric Wachsmann
VP Software Development
FlexRadio Systems
*Tune in Excitementâ„¢*

Absolutely, positively you will get waterfall WAY before the end of the
free software period. It is high on the priority list but I am sure you
would not want us to hold up shipments to add that one feature. After all,
this is a software defined radio so it can be completely upgraded with a
download. I am 100% confident that you will be more than pleased with what
you will get within the free period.

Gerald

Gerald Youngblood, K5SDR
President and CEO
FlexRadio Systems(TM)

I have no idea why you make up constant rubbish, rant on spreading half-truths and falsehoods.

You've no skin in the game, no Flex-6000 on order, no good intentions and yet are fixated on claiming things always remain the same.

If you had attended the last several FlexRadio Systems Dayton Banquets, and listened up, it was always clear that features would phase in.  Exactly which and when, that was in the air. 

How about since you won't get a SmartSDR Panadapter right from the get go that you cancel your pre-order and ask for a refund?

Oh, forgot you don't have any skin in the game and have made a near full time hobby of being as negative as possible. 

I hope you someday find something that makes you happy in this hobby.  Otherwise there are plenty of options in other hobbies, if they will have you in their ranks.

So sad old man...

Steve
K9ZW

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 06:20:46 PM »

I wonder if there's a patent or open source issue with the waterfall code or concept when used in a thin client. Maybe they're working on making the waterfall run smoothly on a thin connection.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 06:30:03 PM »

I wonder if there's a patent or open source issue with the waterfall code or concept when used in a thin client. Maybe they're working on making the waterfall run smoothly on a thin connection.

That is absolutely ridiculous.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 06:34:04 PM »

Stan - you owe FlexRadio yet another apology.

The Beta Software and Initial Full Release will not have a Waterfall (yet).

Here is what they have said:

>I'm afraid you've gotten bad information. As VP of Software Development at
>
While it is>a high priority, we will not hold shipment of FLEX-6000 series radios for
>this feature. Thus, the initial release of SmartSDR will not likely
>include a waterfall mode.
We do not have a timeline for release of this
>feature, but I fully expect it to come within the free software period for
>everyone that has purchased a 6000 series radio to this point.

I have no idea why you make up constant rubbish, rant on spreading half-truths and falsehoods.

So sad old man...

Why  do I owe Flexradio an apology? I have merely repeated what I read on Flexradio's own website. The series 6000 will not have a Panafall until they get around to programming one into SmartSDR. This could take up to a year. I realize that Flexers like yourself do not want  to see this info go public on a forum like eham. Instead you  would rather keep it secret from mainstream hams. Information like this makes the Early adopters look pretty stupid. Plunk down $1-2K deposit for a year and receive SmartSdr without  one of the most important features of a SDR - the Panafall.  Not to worry says Flexradio, we promise to get it working  before the Free Software period  is over - one year.

I  realize the truth hurts especially for those with "skin" in  the game. I would be pissed big time if I  had put down $1-2K deposit for a year and then received word that before I even  get the radio I will have to wait for a Panafall. You obviously believe the Flex mantra and feel  the need to spin anything that makes Flexradio look ridiculous. Actually Flexradio is SMART. They have thousands of deposit money from Flexers who have more $$ than  intelligence, and so far have not had to show anything for it.

Stan K9IUQ - Old Man yes, but hardly sad, you see I got rid of the Flex 5K P.O.S. and bought a frustration  free radio. Just call me  HAPPY Old Man.  Wink Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 06:36:20 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 06:52:03 PM »

The real question that's not being asked yet is how much of the overall development budget has been blown by delays?  The programmers still get paid if the code is late. We are never going to know the answer, however, often what happens when you have large over runs is something else has to get cut.  Wonder if anything is getting cut and if so, what?

If I had to guess they are way way over budget with these delays!  

I am very glad I don't have skin in that game!  I put mine in a different games and its in my shack now!  I got my radio for about the same amount as the deposit on the 6700.

I feel bad for the Flexers that are still waiting.  And they won't get a Panafall for a while.

What else are they not getting?

N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 04:57:59 AM »

Panafall thread rebooted
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 05:02:33 AM »

Panafall thread rebooted

Thank you. I have new respect for eham moderation. Please keep eham moderation fair and consistent. eham users will have a much better experience.

Stan K9IUQ
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 06:10:00 AM »

The real question that's not being asked yet is how much of the overall development budget has been blown by delays?  The programmers still get paid if the code is late. We are never going to know the answer, however, often what happens when you have large over runs is something else has to get cut.  Wonder if anything is getting cut and if so, what?

If I had to guess they are way way over budget with these delays!  

I am very glad I don't have skin in that game!  I put mine in a different games and its in my shack now!  I got my radio for about the same amount as the deposit on the 6700.

I feel bad for the Flexers that are still waiting.  And they won't get a Panafall for a while.

What else are they not getting?

I recall seeing that Flex has some government business - providing hardware for recording anything that ever gets sent through the ether for future "analysis" or something...  That is a good thing if livelihood not totally dependent on limited high-end ham market.  Ten-Tec also has some diversification. And Elecraft just keeps hitting home runs. So I think the major US players will be around for us a while....

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN N4OI :>)
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 06:28:00 AM »

I understand what you are saying, but if they have all that goverment work and these new radios are an offshoot of it how can there have been such a large miss and how could something so simple and basic as a waterfall display be missing still?

It's not adding up.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: