Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to say when checking SWR  (Read 4063 times)
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 08:05:11 AM »

Don't you need to first rub the feeder with 'Anti SWR wax'?

I prefer Preparation Q.......  (the remedy for the common pile up)

Never change a password on a Friday                
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 08:13:26 AM »

Doubtless some 'anti intermodulation grease' would help, too, expensive as it is.
KC9Q

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 01:39:51 PM »

Get an antenna analyzer and there is no ID'ing required, and you can see the VSWR for the entire antenna bandwidth and beyond in most cases.
 Smiley
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 06:46:53 PM »

There is the issue of tuning SWR on SSB, where some meters jumps all over the map. A quick cw key down would do it, EXCEPT, if you have a rig that won't do CW! I have a RS HTX-10, no CW, and I also have an AEA antenna tuner, with the dual needles. I do a quick AM key up 10 KHz away from the target frequency, with the mic gain all the way down, tune the SWR, switch back to frequency, switch to SSB, turn the mic gain to the right level, and go at it.

A constant tone into the mic would also work on SSB, but, I can't whistle that consistently.

A 10 KHz shift won't throw off the SWR to speak of. Now, going from 28.4 MHz to 29.5 MHz make a difference in tuning.

I prefer Preparation Q.......  (the remedy for the common pile up)

Pile up vs. piles?  Grin

I do wonder if Miracle Grow would help soil conductivity for grounding purposes.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 06:52:44 PM »

5UP: Think Preparation Q would help those knots in the coax caused by the RF going faster than the Velocity Factor of the coax?
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »

Pile up vs. piles?  Grin

Outstanding!  Wasn't sure if anyone would catch that............ 

As for the soil conductivity question, anyone who grows azaleas, gardenias or blueberries knows about copper sulfate and aluminum sulfate at the local home & garden store. There's also a soil acidifier product called " Zip " that does real well for my lawn but that could be more about my soil than the care & feeding of Bermuda grass. In any case, yes you can modify the Ph and conductivity of your soil.... Although you may end up with a patch of lawn around the vertical that needs to be mowed more often than the rest.

BTW:  Years ago I was the editor of a club newsletter and used to invent products that at times weren't exactly obvious as humorware. One of them was Ground Plane Bermuda grass. Not only did the rhizomes have RF properties but they also had a fractalized growth pattern. Amazingly effective at reducing the impedance and elevation angle of a ground mounted vertical. The only drawback was that it took a jackhammer to turn the sod, but if you know about Bermuda grass that's not hard to imagine.  Roll Eyes

Never change a password on a Friday                
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 09:11:20 AM »

Humor is often wasted on the eham forums...

Actually...it is wasted on those who have no sense of humor!

Rick wn2c
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 01:36:59 PM »

Sorry if this question is too noob to be in this forum.

Although I have had my ticket for about a year now, I have never actually tested my SWR because I just got my radio and antenna set up in my vehicle where before I was using it inside my house. Everything has worked but now that I am going mobile I want to make sure it is right.

I understand how to use my meter but what I don't know, is what should I "say" when I key the mic to test?

-Todd

Todd, we're just having fun.  You got some serious replies and your answer.  Ask any question you can't find an answer to and there are a bunch of smart guys/gals available to help.   I can still picture in my head... the Ham Radio spell being cast and then wildly waiving hands in the air...   Grin
K4SAV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 06:18:41 AM »

Todd, sorry for poluting your thread with a bit of nonsense, but you got some good answers before I did that.  I just couldn't pass up a straight line like that.

This hobby is supposed to be fun, you know.

Jerry, K4SAV
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 02:44:27 PM »

What to say when checking SWR

Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble
teeth of liar, graveyard rubble,
eye of newt, ear of donkey,
make this SWR okie-dokie.

(Waving your hands wildly in the air while saying this, helps.)

Hmmm.

Guess it depends where you're from.

I always said:
Hey-de-hey, hi-de-ho
Can you hear my radio?

And the answers would come in:
Fie-fi-fo-fum
Loud and clear, with a little hum.

Then I knew it was working.

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 05:05:46 PM »

Young Ensign standing his first underway watch as Officer of the Deck calls the Task Group Command ship every ten minutes for a radio check.

After about the fifth time, the TG Commander replies "November Yankee, this is November Alfa.  I hear you 2 by 2.  Too loud and too often.  Out!"

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 08:24:25 PM »

SAV, classic!!  No humor lost here.

“Love to eat them mousies,
Mousies what I love to eat.
Bite they little heads off…
Nibble on they tiny feet.”
—B. Kliban
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up