Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HT That recieves SSB & CW  (Read 8356 times)
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 09:49:25 PM »

How about something like AOR AR8200-MK3.  It covers from 500kHz to 3GHz, and does SSB and CW (as well as AM and FM).

http://www.aorusa.com/receivers/ar8200mk3.html

I've been using Yupiteru MVT-7100 for almost 20 years.  Great sensitivity for a hand held receiver, but unfortunately I don't think Yupi's are imported into the States.

N8YQX
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 08:05:25 PM »

I think it's because manufacturers assume that HTs will be used on FM exclusively.  Repeaters don't like SSB - no way to key it up reliably - and so that's that.

I think the market is very ripe for a nice HT that doesn't have all this digital garbage, but has SSB and CW.  It'll take a different mentality than the one that currently prevails in Japan to make this a reality though.

My guess is that the Chinese will swoop in with a little SSB HT rig in short order - they really are going after every market they can, and with extreme prejudice.  Of course it'd be nice to see an American HT with this capability, but I think that's a pie in the sky.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 08:46:33 AM »

I like the idea of an ssb repeater. Has anyone ever tried this? As far as bringing up the machine,you could just say "Hola" and adjust the carrier delay for a long hang time. One problem might be maintaining frequency accuracy with ssb in an ht which could be difficult,unlike fm.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 09:53:28 AM »

I like the idea of an ssb repeater. Has anyone ever tried this? As far as bringing up the machine,you could just say "Hola" and adjust the carrier delay for a long hang time. One problem might be maintaining frequency accuracy with ssb in an ht which could be difficult,unlike fm.

We already have them, but we call them linear transponders and launch them into space!
W1AJO

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 08:38:47 AM »

.....Of course, you might also look at the FT-817. It's much larger, but you get transmit too!

Thanks!  I have an FT-817ND - bought it durring hurricane Charley back in 2004 Smiley
W1AJO

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 08:44:41 AM »

Well, I sent Yaesu an email asking for new features in their future VX-xR radio.  Here's what I asked for:

1.  CW and SSB rececption.  I need to to be able to LISTEN to the HF bands and SSB & are CRUCIAL.  The Kenwood TH-F6 has this.

2.  Full coverage recieve.  Ny VX-5R has a recieve gap 16 MHz to 48 MHz.  The Kenwood TH-F6 does not have this gap. Please fill in the gap!

3.  When traveling by car I take a CB radio AND my VX-5R.  Why can't the VR-XR at a minium recieve CB (11 meter) channels and maybe TRAMSMIT on CB Channel 9, 17, and 19?  This way I can leave my CB radio home.

4. Bluetooth interface for a hands free headset.

5. A built-in AM broadcast band antenna and FM antenna so I can LISTEN to AM & FM radio.  As is, my VX-5R can't recieve AM broadcast stations.  My $20 Sangean DT-400W out performs the VX-5R in this area.  At a minium provide an external antenna (SMA mount) that works with the AM & FM bands.

6. A micro USB interface so that it's EASY to manage and program the the radio via a computer.  The CLONE TX/RX is a very clumbsy interface method.

7.  A 40m/20m/10m CW transmit capability would be KILLER!  3-5 watts CW QRP would be so cool from a HT!  No one has this feature.  If you can do only one band make it 20m.

If we don't ask we will never get it!
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2013, 01:31:18 PM »

Recieves or receives?

Remember: I before E except after C...
W1AJO

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2013, 11:14:11 PM »

Recieves or receives?

Remember: I before E except after C...

Sorry.  I was wounded in Iraq and have TBI.  I am thankful that I can still use a computer.

If you don’t know what TBI is look it up.

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 04:52:51 AM »

You`ll never see any ham rig that xmits on any amateur band plus cb. It`s illegal,even if the power out is legal. I agree that on long trips having access to channel 19 can be very helpful,even save lives. If you knew for instance,that a mile ahead of you there was a terrible accident that has traffic stopped. The ht`s that do have broadcast reception don`t hear that well,as you`ve found. My $30 Grundig hears great,plus it has 40,30,17m reception plus WWV,but no bfo. I don`t think you`ll find anything that has 16-48mhz coverage. Some old radios had vhf low band (30-50?)mhz reception,if you can find one. Nothing made today covers all bands,there`s always a comprimise. Built in antennas are only so good,but often adding a few feet of wire makes a big difference as an external antenna,like on my TH-F6 Kenwood ht.
WO4V

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 09:03:54 AM »

The Magnum 1012 HT will do SSB, FM, and AM. (I know it is targeted at the CB market). Just for grins, I bought one of them a couple or three years ago. Puts out about 2-3 watts on SSB on the battery pack, a bit more when running external power. Fun rig...Band mods are kind of involved, as it requires solder jumpers. I believe these are made by the same Chinese plant that makes the Anytone, etc. rigs, and it looks EXACTLY like my old ADI 440 handhelds, even will exchange battery packs with them. Build quality is reasonably good, but tuning is clunky, and the receiver leaves a lot to be desired, but I have made a few DX contacts with it on 10 meters. Blows people away when I tell them I am on a handheld running on batteries (I don't think many believe me when I tell them this). Don't try it with the stock rubber duck antenna, though!  Cheesy I also made a 10 ft. counterpoise that I trail behind me when I am out walking and use a telescoping antenna I adapted from an old Realistic CB  handheld. Not in the same league as my ft-817, I'm sorry to say. The Mizuho rigs have far superior receivers...BUT they also fetch quite inflated prices on the used market. I do not transmit using the Magnum on 11 meters, but it will certainly receive well enough to use as a monitor on the road. Heck, my TS-870 will RX and TX on 11 too, but I realize it is not type accepted for this type of use, yada, yada...too bad the company that makes the little Magnum does not make a model that is for 10 or 12 meters ONLY, and not "easily modifiable" for CB use. If they improved the receiver and tuning system a bit, I certainly would be interested.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: