Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get "Wide Reception" on Kenwood TM-V71A  (Read 3874 times)
KC9YAJ

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2013, 01:06:51 PM »

I am just wondering if there are any other Kenwood TM-71A owners who know how to get my new radio to be able to get the Wide Reception Kenwood advertises it to have. I am supposed to be able to receive as low as 119 and as high is in the 23cm band. My radio seems to be throttled to 139-523. What I am looking to do is receive the local airport in the 120s and municipal PD in the mid 800s. Kenwood states this radio does receive those, but for the life of me I can see how to. I have tried a google search and did a "find" in the pdf version of the manual and have come up with nothing so far.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated !!!

Chip 
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 03:55:05 PM »

If you've a M4 type it doesn't have those bands.

If it isn't a M4 type go into the menu and make sure that those bands are not disabled. To do that, turn off the radio then hold the band select button and turn it on. You then scroll through the bands to enable or disable - its in the manual under "Masking a band".
KC9YAJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 05:57:42 PM »

I had saw where it said the M4 was blocked. I got this a few days ago from HRO and the box calls it a K model which I understand to be the US version. I went to Band Mask as you suggested and made sure all bands shown were marked for use. But even after doing so, still not getting the lowest and upper most bands being available.

From what I read last night, the K is a different model than the M4, is that correct Huh IT sure seems to be acting just like a M4 in the way those bands are unavailable.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 06:25:33 PM »

If your radio will transmit with 50W out, then you have either a K or an E model.  The M4 only transmits 25w on high power.  I haven't used mine in a while, but I think the extended receive is only available on the "right side" of the radio, and must be set to "1200" and "use" in the menu as the other poster pointed out.

Stephen
N5VTU
KC9YAJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 07:29:45 PM »

Here's the list of what bands show up.

The Left side of the screen shows me:
And nothing else.

The right side of the screen shows me:

I went through and selected each band on each side and also selected USE for each one and pressed to, what I assume is, lock it in.

No difference whatsoever. Left side won't go below 136 or above 199 and right side is only 400-523.

It definately is a head cratcher !!!

PS guys.... I appreciate your help immensely !!!
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 01:59:52 AM »

That can't be right. The right side should do the 2m amateur band even on a M4 model.

I think I'd be getting hold of the dealer and asking what gives. It certainly doesn't sound like my experience of my TM-V71 and now TM-D710 which is the same transceiver with APRS and TNC added.
K0ECW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 08:13:04 AM »

Try doing a reset to factory defaults. If that doesn't work then try reloading the latest version of firmware. Was this radio purchased "new" new or was it "new" in an open box? Just wondering if someone else had the same problem and returned the radio.

Do you have the programming cable? Can you borrow or make one? The pinouts are in the manual. Using the Kenwood programming software may fix the problem, too.

I don't have a D710 yet, mine is coming next week, but I've had similar problems with other radios that were solved by reseting everything to factory defaults.
KC9YAJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 10:24:44 AM »

Thanks guys.

Yes, this doesn't seem right. It acts as though "something" must be "ticked" in the radio that blocks these bands from being used, possibly besides band masking.

I do plan on calling HRO on Tuesday to see what they think might be the problem. This is brand spanking new, not a open box or refurb.

As far as cables, no, don't have those, didn't get them yet. I think the most recent firmware was back in Sept. so this should already have it, I would think.

I was hoping someone here might have experienced this and knew what I could change to get these bands functional.
KC9YAJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 09:36:38 AM »

I got a hold of HRO in VA today and they were surprised first, that the radio even had Wide Receive. Second when I said I couldn't get it, they had no clue how to access it. He did tell me to call Kenwood and if that didn't work, would definitely replace the unit.

Call to Kenwood CS and to access the extra bands is actually quite easy. You have to hit the function key first, then press on the band's volume control knob, to "toggle" to the next band.

Low and behold, all bands are present and accounted for !!!!

Thanks everyone for your help !!!! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: