Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When someone phones cq in data allocation?  (Read 2035 times)
NU9J

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:26:15 PM »

Was just listening to an SSB "CQ CQ this is..." for several minutes on 14.070. I was tempted to politely tell him that he was in the cw/data section and to QSY, but I didn't. Which is best practice?

~Philip
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 10:35:11 PM »

My response is to ignore a call like that. At some point he/she will wonder why they are getting no response and check the settings and find they have mis-set a control somewhere and correct it.  If it were a person I knew I would take them aside and tell them what I heard and suggest ways to improve their on-air behavior.

Clint - W5CPT -
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 11:29:38 PM »

So from what country was the call?

Rick  wn2c
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 06:00:57 AM »

Many countries have none or different mode restrictions.  Our neighbor to the North, Canada doesn't.  So they can very properly operate voice in our data sections.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 06:14:03 AM »

"Turn the Big Knob!"   -- Riley Hollingsworth
NU9J

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 07:03:50 AM »

American call. So, "turn the big knob" eh?  Grin

~Philip
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 07:26:54 AM »

American call. So, "turn the big knob" eh?  Grin

Did you try contacting him with cw?
He probably is a just a new op or possibly a LID.
You have his call, get his email address from QRZ and write him an "information-gram".  Grin

If none of that works, yeah, twist the big knob. If it persists, perhaps it's time for a "foxhunt".

KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 10:33:06 AM »

Don't you think a fox hunt might be extreme in this case? probably did not know where he was operating in the band plan. You got a call drop him a polite note and forget about it. Call your OO if it really bothers you. Someone needs to tell him if he needs to learn of his operating practices.

Tom Kb3hg
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 12:24:30 PM »

Don't you think a fox hunt might be extreme in this case? probably did not know where he was operating in the band plan. You got a call drop him a polite note and forget about it. Call your OO if it really bothers you. Someone needs to tell him if he needs to learn of his operating practices.

Tom Kb3hg

Foxhunting is absolutely extreme, but I said only if it persists, as in a deliberate repetitive act.
We all make mistakes...

AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 01:31:22 PM »

There is an minority who believe that voluntary band plans are just another "infringement" upon their "rights". They fail to realize that the minimal amount of FCC enforcement we have imposed upon US amateurs is because we were proactive with the FCC in coming up with our own guidelines and operating practices.

If we are not careful then we will get just what we fear, the FCC passing crazy edicts down upon us and using the rule of law to enforce them. They may also just decide that it is not economical to enforce a bunch of pig headed people and start taking things away from us and giving them to paying customers who want spectrum.

I suspect this OP either forgot about the voluntary band plan or fat fingered in the settings. Maybe they spun the dial and said "hey, it is quiet here, only those annoying beeps and clicks". We can politely say "um, you are out of band, can you take it up 100 KHz?

If we are caustic and rude than all you did was to make an enemy and probably turned someone away from the hobby or they will get a good "mad" doing on and decide to torment people for the fun of it.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
NU9J

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 03:25:37 PM »

Just sent him a polite email and he said his VFO was split and didn't realize it.

~Philip
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 05:53:18 AM »

Just sent him a polite email and he said his VFO was split and didn't realize it.

Yup, when no one comes back to you for a while, it's time to check the lights on your rig!
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 03:05:11 PM »

The VFO split happens occasionally to all of us....

There but for the grace of God (and pushing the wrong button) go I...............
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: