Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EMI help? House shopping?  (Read 3940 times)
KD8TUT

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2013, 05:20:24 AM »

Hi all,

Well I've been pre-shopping in different areas in Michigan to find a home that is either semi rural or waterfront.

Sadly, in three areas I've looked seriously the local clubs never e-mailed back (or do not check their e-mail). Inquiries were sent asking how "ham friendly" the areas were and what if any issues there were with antenna restrictions, was the power grid quiet, how many active hams do you guess are in the area?

Well... the questions resulted in a big gaping silence.

So....

I can probably figure out how many hams are in the area, and what the antenna issues might be. But what would be the best way to see if the electrical infrastructure is well maintained?

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 03:23:36 PM »

To check the local RFI an HF mobile setup is the thing to use. But beware that it might be good now but turn bad later for any number of reasons.

Antenna friendly? Look at the CC&Rs for the neighborhood.

In other words, you have to do your own leg work.
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 05:49:22 PM »

You said that the local clubs did not answer your emails.  Here is an idea – do zip-code search on QRZ.com for the intended neighborhood and pick some “older” hams – by that I mean ones who appear to be active, and actually participating in the hobby.  A lot of information can be harvested from what folks put in their bios on QRZ.  A fellow with a blank page might tell you that he is not involved at this time, while a ham with pictures of his/her towers and antennas maybe more so.  Pick a couple and send them individual emails telling them of your plans and ask for pointers or recommendations of where to (or not to) look.

Just an idea,
Clint – W5CPT -
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 07:51:28 PM »

You said that the local clubs did not answer your emails.  Here is an idea – do zip-code search on QRZ.com for the intended neighborhood and pick some “older” hams – by that I mean ones who appear to be active, and actually participating in the hobby.  A lot of information can be harvested from what folks put in their bios on QRZ.  A fellow with a blank page might tell you that he is not involved at this time, while a ham with pictures of his/her towers and antennas maybe more so.  Pick a couple and send them individual emails telling them of your plans and ask for pointers or recommendations of where to (or not to) look.

Just an idea,
Clint – W5CPT -

Thanks Clint,

I located a total of two amateurs in one of the more rural areas, and I've dropped e-mails to them.

That was exactly the suggestion I needed to move forward. Thank you Sir!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: