Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is AFSK permitted on HF-Bands ???  (Read 8502 times)
KC8Y

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2013, 11:16:28 AM »

I plan to use my SignaLink USB and my ICOM IC-7410 for
AFSK-CW...

IS THE AFSK MODE PERMITTED FOR CW ON THE HIGH FREQ (160, 80, 40,
30, 20, 17, 12 & 10 meter) BANDS Huh?

Ken, KC8Y
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »

I plan to use my SignaLink USB and my ICOM IC-7410 for
AFSK-CW...

IS THE AFSK MODE PERMITTED FOR CW ON THE HIGH FREQ (160, 80, 40,
30, 20, 17, 12 & 10 meter) BANDS Huh?

Ken, KC8Y

Yes, provided your rig is in SSB mode when you transmit.  (Strictly speaking, this isn't AFSK, because you're not doing shift keying.)

The thing that's illegal is MCW, or modulated CW, which is what you'd be doing if you had the rig in AM or FM mode while feeding a CW tone into it.  Simply put, don't do that on HF.

If it were me, I'd just as soon build a simple keying interface for the rig, and then I wouldn't have to worry about setting the audio level properly, but whatever floats your boat...
GW3OQK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 01:51:01 AM »

Are you serious about Audio Frequency Shift Keyed CW. (Morse) Your 2 tones will generate two separate signals, one readable Morse and the other unreadable. At least that's as I see it. If you use it please do it in the Data or SSB section of the bands, so as not to disturb CW users who only occupy one frequency.
Andrew
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 06:22:14 AM »

Why would you want to use AFSK for CW?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 07:20:05 AM »

Guys, the sound card software generates a single, keyed, audio tone. When that is injected into the audio input of a SSB transmitter, the output is a single, keyed, RF frequency. It is nearly the same as the signal generated by the transmitter's CW mode **provided** the audio signal is clean with no hum or other issues. I say "nearly" because it does have a suppressed opposite sideband that can be heard at short range.

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 09:55:51 AM »

I believe this is how modern transceivers generate CW; they inject an audio tone into the SSB chain.
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 06:19:05 AM »

I've decides NOT to use AFSK mode.

Going to use CW direct.  Because of my rare handiccap: found an external keyer that accepts input from a USB keyboard.
This setup, hopefully will key my transceiver.

Also checking out ANOTHER keyer.

Thanks for all the comments.

Ken, KC8Y
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 10:50:55 AM »

Okay Ken! ; Hope to work you on 40m daytime if we can schedule something. I can work any HF but 60m here..
    :)Be patient as I am qrs a bit, hi.
    73 from Lane.  de n8aft sk ..
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 06:56:21 AM »

Thanks for the response, Lane.  It'll also take me some time to get on 40M.  Won't really have keyer & keyboard setup for about 5-weeks :(javascript:void(0);
 Huh
 Because of my handicap, I must use the KEYBOARD for sending CW (do not have fast movements of fingers & hand); also MUST use my computer for receiving CW (no hand movements-for scripts & brain deciphering of code).  I'm good for about only 5-to-8 wpm

I'm only about 250 miles (+/- few ) from your location.

Right now, just have OCF for 40, 20, 10 & 6-meter, BUT later this summer, replacing it with one for 80, 40, 20, 17, 12, 10 & 6

Hope to work you !!!

Ken, KC8Y
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: