Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microphone for IC-7000  (Read 1213 times)
KF7ITG

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2013, 08:33:19 PM »

I know this is subjective but .... Is there a substitute microphone for the Icom 7000 that is better sounding than the original when used non mobil. Perhaps a Heil PR 781 as an example or???

KF7ITG. 73s
James
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 09:54:26 PM »

The 781 will work fine on the radio. Route the audio into the RJ-45 jack on the rear along with the keying. The radio needs about 20 mV of AC audio for full SSB output. Depending on your voice there are less expensive microphones that will improve the audio.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 05:24:34 AM »

I have a 7000 and I get good reports with the factory mic. 

Of course the Heil is always a good choice.  Before you spend a lot of money on one, some people have reported that there is a piece of foam inside the factory hand mic over the element on SOME of the 7000 hand mics.  I assume it was put there to attenuate some of the background noise in a mobile environment, kinda like a noise reducing aircraft radio mic.  Removing this foam is supposed to make the factory mic sound better.

You may want to give this a try.

Dick  AD4U
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 07:08:39 AM »

The stock mic with the AB5N mic mod sounds fantastic. For around $35, Bob will take your mic, and replace the element in it. He also enlarges the holes in the mic face and adds a little weight to it to increase the "heft".  His web site has some before and after audio clips.I had it done to mine and was very happy with the results.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 07:15:11 AM by K3GM » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: