Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: self posting  (Read 5426 times)
N4JTE

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:27:23 PM »

Jeez, build an antenna, TG9AHM, posting your own call for CQ dx on the summit is pretty lame.
bob
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 11:33:16 PM »

Jeez, build an antenna, TG9AHM, posting your own call for CQ dx on the summit is pretty lame.
bob

What makes you think TG9AHM reads this forum and will get your message?  I've never seen him post a message here so he maybe self-posting but you are writing to yourself, too.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 01:55:41 AM »

Each time this subject comes up it always baffles me. Don't we want Dx stations to be spotted? So why does it matter if he self spots himself just once?  I really wish SV2/A would spot himself and I think most of us would have no problem if an EP3 spots himself!
I have heard stations from India calling out 20-30 times and getting no response and then giving up and going QRT. If they had self spotted a lot of hams would have been very happy.
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 03:09:54 AM »

I'd much rather see the occasional self spot on the cluster than all the "brag" spots: "599 TU" - Look at me, look at me, I worked the DX! - type spots.
I think sometimes we let these things get under our skin and let them aggravate us, unnecessarily!
The best thing, in my opinion, is for anonymous posting to the cluster network to be disallowed, but that would require all cluster nodes to comply.
Also, the DX cluster network is for information, not for opinions.
There's plenty of opportunity for opinions to be expressed in forums such as these!
Luke VK3HJ
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 03:53:09 AM »

I could give a #@%& less if they self spot.  I've seen some of these rare dx stations do it and was glad they did.  Also I've been asked by rare stations to do it and was also glad to do it.
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 05:55:11 AM »

TG9AHM is a fb op.  I don't mind DX self-spotting at all, but don't like when domestic guys do it or start posting their logs...
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 06:42:36 AM »

I should bite my tongue, but this is another of the "bugsme" things hams do.

If you self spot, what did you do before the clusters were there to help you?  You called CQ a little longer, or more often, correct? You COULD try that again, if you are not too lazy.

If you have such a POS station, that you have to self spot to get someone to talk to you, you may as well find another hobby, or improve the station.  If your signal is that crappy, you probably wont get much satisfaction by self spotting either. If they could not hear you before you spotted yourself, do you think your puny signal just got better Huh

Go build model airplanes or something.... collect stamps???

73, Gene AF3Y
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 07:17:25 AM »

I'm with others who don't mind the occasional self-spot for an interesting DX location; some place not the U.S., Canada, JA or the big ones in Europe (F, I, DL, G*, 9A, S5, etc). If a DX station from a less-common entity is on and looking for oddball stuff (an 8Q looking for South America, for example), that would be an ideal use for the cluster network. Obviously never do it in contests (it's against the rules for most, if not all, for a reason).

Gene, I disagree with your idea that they should just CQ longer. Much as we hate to admit it, times *have* changed. People don't spin the big knob as much (no, that's not a euphemism for something else), and today, more rely on the cluster network than on chasing down DX the old-fashioned way. Whether you or I like it is irrelevant; it is what it is, and if you want to work a good rate, you need to be spotted. I also don't see the harm in a DX station asking if the guys working him could please spot him (again, not in contests, obviously).

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 09:16:25 AM »

don't like when domestic guys do it or start posting their logs

I'm with you.  I don't like anyone who post their logs or post pictures of their birds!  Self spotting is okay!
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 09:42:29 AM »

I have always found it humerous when someone is holding a frequency and running stations, and they post the stations that call them.  That doesn't do anyone much good except to let you know where the band may be open to.

John AF5CC
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 10:26:10 AM »

If I jump to RTTY and it's dead.. I'll self spot once in a while.  Otherwise I'm hammering my gear for who knows how long.  I think many that might be CW or SSB switch over if they want the QSO.

I don't think it's a big deal.  All the info flows right along. 

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 02:39:22 PM »

I have always found it humerous when someone is holding a frequency and running stations, and they post the stations that call them.  That doesn't do anyone much good except to let you know where the band may be open to.

John AF5CC

Totally agree its the most annoying thing to see 10 stations listed on the same frequency and having my cluster alarm go off for no reason.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 05:00:36 PM »

If I jump to RTTY and it's dead.. I'll self spot once in a while.  Otherwise I'm hammering my gear for who knows how long.  I think many that might be CW or SSB switch over if they want the QSO.

I don't think it's a big deal.  All the info flows right along. 

I could use HI on RTTY on 30m. So I wouldn't mind seeing you self spot on 30  Cheesy

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 05:05:57 PM »

I should bite my tongue, but this is another of the "bugsme" things hams do.

If you self spot, what did you do before the clusters were there to help you?  You called CQ a little longer, or more often, correct? You COULD try that again, if you are not too lazy.

If you have such a POS station, that you have to self spot to get someone to talk to you, you may as well find another hobby, or improve the station.  If your signal is that crappy, you probably wont get much satisfaction by self spotting either. If they could not hear you before you spotted yourself, do you think your puny signal just got better Huh

Go build model airplanes or something.... collect stamps???

73, Gene AF3Y

Gene,

What a shame that not every DX station has a "super station"  like yours, and must rely on a "POS' station to operate from a rare island during a vacation.

It must be tough for you to have the burden of being a big gun, but I am sure there are a lot of little guns that are willing to work him when they see his "self spot".  

John
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 05:36:04 PM by V47JA » Logged
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 05:22:47 PM »

bob

Agree with those who would like to see DX posted (even if self-spot) and the occasional self-spot is fine.  It's the brag-spots that are unnecessary.  73, Rich, K3VAT
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: