Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: self posting  (Read 5656 times)
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 05:52:31 PM »

The self spotting helps to get the pileup started quicker or for that matter even to get an idea on the prop check.
Yea, i get it that there are reverse beacons, but nothing beats the joy of hearing that roaring pileup getting started.
really  Grin

I don't see anything wrong except it hurts the little stations that turn the dial to look for rare Dx, since the
fully automated point-n-click big guns will descend right away.

Krish
w4vku
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 06:04:42 PM »

If I jump to RTTY and it's dead.. I'll self spot once in a while.  Otherwise I'm hammering my gear for who knows how long.  I think many that might be CW or SSB switch over if they want the QSO.

I don't think it's a big deal.  All the info flows right along. 

I could use HI on RTTY on 30m. So I wouldn't mind seeing you self spot on 30  Cheesy

That would be my first 30M QSO... I have never used 30M....  Grin   I had to look up the Frequency!!   Grin Grin
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 08:07:03 PM »

I should bite my tongue, but this is another of the "bugsme" things hams do.

If you self spot, what did you do before the clusters were there to help you?  You called CQ a little longer, or more often, correct? You COULD try that again, if you are not too lazy.

If you have such a POS station, that you have to self spot to get someone to talk to you, you may as well find another hobby, or improve the station.  If your signal is that crappy, you probably wont get much satisfaction by self spotting either. If they could not hear you before you spotted yourself, do you think your puny signal just got better Huh

Go build model airplanes or something.... collect stamps???

73, Gene AF3Y

Gene,

What a shame that not every DX station has a "super station"  like yours, and must rely on a "POS' station to operate from a rare island during a vacation.

It must be tough for you to have the burden of being a big gun, but I am sure there are a lot of little guns that are willing to work him when they see his "self spot".  

John

My station and I appreciate being called a "Super Station" . Grin

However, I don't think a wire vertical and Pro III setup really qualifies for Super Station status.  To be truthful, I do have QRO, which I use when needed.

To each his/her own on self-spotting, but it still bugs me, whether its done for a POS station that cannot get the attention it wants, or simply because the operator may be too damned lazy to call CQ over 3 times. hi

73, Gene AF3Y
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 09:29:27 PM »

If you self spot, what did you do before the clusters were there to help you?  You called CQ a little longer, or more often, correct? You COULD try that again, if you are not too lazy.

If you have such a POS station, that you have to self spot to get someone to talk to you, you may as well find another hobby, or improve the station.  If your signal is that crappy, you probably wont get much satisfaction by self spotting either. If they could not hear you before you spotted yourself, do you think your puny signal just got better Huh

73, Gene AF3Y

Gene,

What a shame that not every DX station has a "super station"  like yours, and must rely on a "POS' station to operate from a rare island during a vacation.

It must be tough for you to have the burden of being a big gun, but I am sure there are a lot of little guns that are willing to work him when they see his "self spot".  

John

However, I don't think a wire vertical and Pro III setup really qualifies for Super Station status.  To be truthful, I do have QRO, which I use when needed.

To each his/her own on self-spotting, but it still bugs me, whether its done for a POS station that cannot get the attention it wants, or simply because the operator may be too damned lazy to call CQ over 3 times. hi

73, Gene AF3Y

Obviously you have not spent a great deal of time operating from outside the USA, with 100w and a dipole up in a palm tree. Also I hope that all your ATNO's have a station that meets your requirements.

73 and DX,

John   W5JON  -  V47JA  -  V49J  -  J68JA  -  V31FB  -  P40DX  -  G0AOH
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 02:25:59 AM »

If you self spot, what did you do before the clusters were there to help you?  You called CQ a little longer, or more often, correct? You COULD try that again, if you are not too lazy.

If you have such a POS station, that you have to self spot to get someone to talk to you, you may as well find another hobby, or improve the station.  If your signal is that crappy, you probably wont get much satisfaction by self spotting either. If they could not hear you before you spotted yourself, do you think your puny signal just got better Huh

73, Gene AF3Y

Ah, Mad Max is back! How you doing Gene?
Having never been a fan of the spot clusters, I was wondering why self spotting was such a "no-no"? Maybe I'm not in tune with spot cluster etiquette. I didn't know there was cluster etiquette after what I hear on the air after a station gets spotted, or what I read in the comment section of many spots. Anyway, someone please explain to me why a station shouldn't self spot.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 04:40:05 AM »

73, Gene AF3Y

Obviously you have not spent a great deal of time operating from outside the USA, with 100w and a dipole up in a palm tree. Also I hope that all your ATNO's have a station that meets your requirements.

73 and DX,

John   W5JON  -  V47JA  -  V49J  -  J68JA  -  V31FB  -  P40DX  -  G0AOH
[/quote]

John, I have not spent ANY time operating outside of the USA.

All 311 of my DXCC count must have met my requirements, all are confirmed!

73, Gene AF3Y
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 04:47:32 AM »

Ah, Mad Max is back! How you doing Gene?
Having never been a fan of the spot clusters, I was wondering why self spotting was such a "no-no"? Maybe I'm not in tune with spot cluster etiquette. I didn't know there was cluster etiquette after what I hear on the air after a station gets spotted, or what I read in the comment section of many spots. Anyway, someone please explain to me why a station shouldn't self spot.

Mad Max, huh? (Years ago, maybe, on a good night.)

I don't know if there is a specific REASON or RULE that a station should not self spot. I suppose, in my case, its just a personal thing. You know...... Just one of those things that bugs me. All of us have something that puts that metallic taste under your tongue once in a while.

Hope you are well in Tennessee. Cool

73, Gene AF3Y
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 01:02:16 PM »

Imagine the recursive result of the robots.

W3LPL        1146Z  10107.0 Heard in MD                     W3LPL 
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 09:21:52 PM »

Okay I posted this because the self poster is not even close to a dx station unless you just got a radio, and the look ups on qrz exceed anything I have ever seen for his non dx location. So that what's got me going on the subject, any self posting is lame unless a REAL DX entity, they tell me is a FB operator, fine, good to know, but STILL lame to self post Guatamalia.
Bob
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 09:41:55 PM »

I don't mind a self-spot from a rare entity but what I absolutely do not like are common self spots (Germany, UK, Italy), or all the 10 meter beacon spots I see.  10 meters is a band which can be open yet you may not hear any stations if it's a Sporadic E opening and late at night.

However, anybody that's a 10 meter buff should know what I stated about 10 meters and check the beacons for themselves if they have any doubts as to whether the band is open.  There are regular posters who post all the 10 meter beacon signals they are receiving. I believe that's an abuse of the spotting network.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 10:23:19 PM by NU1O » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 10:15:07 PM »

And here I thought the cluster was for International use and not just for USA Hams!
It would seem to me that Guatemala must be fairly rare to some folks on the other side of the Planet.  I guess the hams in Australia must be outraged when a Ham from Vietnam spots himself  Roll Eyes
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 06:08:13 AM »

And here I thought the cluster was for International use and not just for USA Hams!
It would seem to me that Guatemala must be fairly rare to some folks on the other side of the Planet.  I guess the hams in Australia must be outraged when a Ham from Vietnam spots himself  Roll Eyes

Exactly.  I bet TG is a great catch in some places of the world...
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 06:25:29 AM »

And there are all the spots on 40 m every day of Italian and Spanish stations, by Italian and Spanish stations, with all their "things on the air". Every Day!
Also, all the local spots every time there is a state QSO Party, often with inappropriate appendages hanging out, such as "/<county>".
It can all be ignored of course. Like when I'm driving, and someone is tailgating me. I fold up the rearview mirror, and use the gears to slow down rather than the brakes. It's much better than getting aggravated and angry.
There's probably a way to turn off cluster comments too.
Luke VK3HJ
WA4IIF

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 08:36:21 AM »

So for those of you who are against self-posting, are you also against using spots to find and contact DX?
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 09:31:19 AM »

TG9AHM is a fb op.  I don't mind DX self-spotting at all, but don't like when domestic guys do it ...

I agree 100%.  Manny is a good op and a nice guy.  If a self-spot now and then helps him find some activity, I've got no problem with it.   Same thing with domestic QRP operators or even special event stations now and then.  Doesn't bother me a bit.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: