Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP! I've lost my enthusiasm for the hobby!  (Read 4228 times)
KC9KXT

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2013, 06:40:05 AM »

I recently moved and have set up my shack, antennas and what nots in a room in the house. The problem is that i rarely find myself sitting in it Talking or listening to the bands! I love the hobby and miss it but for some reason I cannot get myself to find the time or enthusiasm to be up there! I like DX most of all and Checking in on the local repeaters from time to time but I was really put off by my last membership to a club, the Pres. was a 'know-it-all' jerk, the members were lazy and they fought all the time, not only that but they would intentionally rip off other hams! I have a great station that others would love to have (Icom-756pro w/great mics, Grundig 800 shortwave, icom 2/440 and numerous scanners) What is wrong with me?! Has this happened to anyone else and if so what did you do to peak your interest again?
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 07:01:28 AM »

It's not unusual for interest in any long-term hobby, sport, etc. to wax and wane -- often as the result of becoming jaded ("been there, done that").

A good way to revive interest is to explore a different aspect of the hobby.

You say you're a DX'er -- but not which mode.
Are you an SSB guy? Try cw or digital. (Or vice versa)

You're licensed as a General.
How about working on upgrading to Extra?
There's more choice DX at the low end of the bands.

How about contesting?
Or, exploring 6-Meters, VHF, UHF weak-signal.

Maybe something "completely different" -- like satellites?

The best way to get out of a rut -- is to get out of the rut!

As for your unfortunate experience with a local club -- don't let jerks get the better of you.

You're in a new location.
Look for new friends on the local repeaters.

Mel - KS2G
Still crazy for Ham Radio after 36 years.

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 08:19:22 AM »

Or find something else that may be completely different from ham radio and do that for awhile. 

The gear and shack will be waiting when you get the juices back for it. 

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 09:17:03 AM »

2G has made some very good suggestions.... and I'd like to add, try QRP.  

However, WD is spot on the money.  I'm presently going through this same "funk."  I've been here before and have even thought about packing all the gear up and putting it in the garage.

After getting away from it for awhile I'll find myself drifting back to it just to listen for a bit.  I might find the bands open and I'll have a flurry of DXing, working both SSB and CW (I never want to lose my fist!).

Bottom line is, keep the gear operational; get away from it and find something else to do.  Study, renovate the workshop (which I'm presently doing).... read, even talk to your wife or if you're feeling really funky, take her out to supper!

I've been a ham for 57 years and still love the hobby.  I've also been married going on 55 years now.  Sometimes I get tired of both of them but always keep them close by! I wouldn't want to lose either.  Grin
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:24:02 AM by K8AXW » Logged
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 09:21:59 AM »

Sort of the same thing with me, Jesse. After holding nearly every ARRL post in the KY Section I got burnt out. Frankly my hobbie [service] became more of a job than a past time or simple relaxing way to spen some time. In retrospect I done too much too fast. What was once two HF stations, one digital, one SSB, several VHF, UHF stations, lo-profile repeater, and other aminities I am down to a dual-band HT stored in the closet.

My best,
Craig
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 09:58:21 AM »

KS2G gave you some really great advice.  

I had been a ham for close to 50 years operating mostly on CW.  Had big towers, high powered amps and beams.  Got burned out on contesting and chasing DX.  A temporary change in my QTH forced me to consider low power, and modest stealth antennas.  As a result I decided to explore the digital modes.  I didn't know the first thing about them so I was starting  from scratch.  It was like being a novice all over again.  Every day I learned something new and the experience was extremely rewarding.  Recently I had reason to explore remote station operation and have since set up a remote station.  Once more, it was like being  a novice again.  I got a lot of fun out of dealing with the problems involved in remote operation.  There are so many different aspects to this wonderful hobby that there's little problem finding areas where you qualify as the greenest of newbies.  Pick one and give it a try.  I'm coming up on 60 years in ham radio and know there's enough areas I have not yet explored to keep me in a state of "novice bliss" for another 60 years.

If you are not dealing with problems and  learning,  you are stagnating.  While people often brag about having decades and decades of experience in an area, I think that most learning and certainly the most rewarding learning takes place in the first months and years spent in an area.  

Try something different!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 10:02:36 AM by N4UM » Logged
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 11:41:53 AM »

I recently moved and have set up my shack, antennas and what nots in a room in the house. The problem is that i rarely find myself sitting in it Talking or listening to the bands! I love the hobby and miss it but for some reason I cannot get myself to find the time or enthusiasm to be up there! I like DX most of all and Checking in on the local repeaters from time to time but I was really put off by my last membership to a club, the Pres. was a 'know-it-all' jerk, the members were lazy and they fought all the time, not only that but they would intentionally rip off other hams! I have a great station that others would love to have (Icom-756pro w/great mics, Grundig 800 shortwave, icom 2/440 and numerous scanners) What is wrong with me?! Has this happened to anyone else and if so what did you do to peak your interest again?

Don't let the club experience dampen your enthusiasm.  I have been a member of numerous clubs and none of them are perfect by a long shot. I do what floats my boat, not necessarily with a club. I almost separate the hobby from the meetings.
If you MUST be in  club, go to some other ones until you can find the right fit for you.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of "dead air time" on repeaters these days, so I only have 2meter/70cm rigs in the vehicles. If there is nobody on I tune on the FM broadcast or MP3.

HF is where it's at for me. I've been a ham for about 2 years and have only scratched the surface of possibilities.
Currently I'm working on being a CW op.

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 03:02:57 PM »

I've been licenced for 50 years. I've not been on the air at all this year - too much business travel. Hopefully it changes in July after I retire. But health (or rather the lack of it) can make things seem 'just too much trouble', and I have to start fighting that after retirement....

Keep fighting.....keep DXing.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 08:58:53 PM »

I got bored and stressed in the rest of life and then moved to a place where it's hard to do radio. I was very active but now I'm going to be out for a while.

I got bored with DXing because I have a ton of countries worked, new ones are very rare to come by, and I didn't have big enough antennas to pick off cool random QSO's with stations others couldn't hear. When I was younger and had more time, it was fun to spend an hour in a pileup for Thailand. When I already had Thailand and didn't have time, it was really boring to try to get through to them. Even worse if there was a big pileup. If I had big towers and big beams, I could talk to little 100W and G5RV stations in Thailand and that would be fun, to give THEM the thrill of working the East Coast for the first time or whatever, but I won't have that for a while.

Some years back I moved from an apartment (where I enjoyed the challenge of constrained operating) to a house where I could put up big antennas. I got interested in low bands and worked about 130 countries on 160m and a bit more than that on 80m. Some cool stuff, Australia and New Zealand on 160, all kinds of stuff on 80. Japan, Micronesia, Mauritius, all kinds of stuff I'd never imagined I could do on the low bands. But eventually that dried up too, because there's only so much you can do on 160m from a noisy suburban postage stamp lot. It was fun, tons of fun. I learned a lot and did some new things, but it stopped being fun.

Every once and a while somewhere on the bands I found a fun conversation .... like a real, natural conversation, but that took me feeling talkative and hitting it off with someone conversationally. For random conversation, I like real, solidly grounded technical talk about antennas, and to be perfectly honest, it's easier to come across that on the internet. It's a shame, maybe, but it is what it is. Never REALLY been in ham radio for the talking bit. It would be different if it were a natural way for me to keep up with old friends who'd scattered across the country, and I think a lot of people have that. I don't, not really. My ham friends are sitting there in Google Chat too Smiley

I still like technical tinkering and was doing that a lot more, but I need to focus a bit away from hobby pursuits in terms of things that take sustained effort and planning. Will soon be a year, give or take, since I've had a QSO. Projects are shelved. I'm just done for a while.

Don't force it. Don't sell your stuff. Give it a rest and try something new when you come back to it.

When I come back to it I'll probably do, QRP or technical VHF/UHF SSB/CW stuff, moonbounce, meteor scatter, something. Maybe I'll get into SDR or digital modes big time. But it happens. Ham radio will draw you back.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:01:33 PM by N3OX » Logged

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 07:53:52 AM »

Sounds familiar.  The hobby has changed a lot from when we were young and the average ham on the air is not the average ham of 40 years ago, not by a mile.  Most hams can't conduct a technical discussion or discuss the technical attributes of anything in the radio hobby.  They think your coax has to be a certain length to get the SWR just right and have no idea how their radio, feedline, or antenna works.  That is what has taken something away from the hobby, and that is why I don't get on much anymore.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 11:24:17 AM »

I kicked the hell out of contesting in my two years licensed. It got me several awards but I found that it also eventually put me off.

My saving grace has been HF mobile. I've almost always had a HF rig in the car. If I'm going somewhere out of town I'll pop the rig on and have a scoot about and see what is on, not always but I find myself doing it more and more.

My homebase setup now spends most of its time unused. I've a 6 month old rig with maybe a couple of days keydown time on it and even that is mostly because of a contest I entered.

If you're getting fed up maybe stick a HF mobile in the car with a 20m hamstick. Depending on how you install it if the bug bites again you can always use it in the house.

Edit: The more I re-read my post the more I think I should just sell up the homebase stuff  Grin
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 11:27:33 AM by M6GOM » Logged
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 04:02:55 PM »

I retired in 2007 at the age of 51. At that time I had been a ham for 15 years. During that 15 years I lost some of my interest in the hobby too.

But after I retired I had so much time on my hand in the winter that I renewed my interest in ham radio. I spend hours in the shack in the winter months, but I am not always talking. I do a lot of listening, operate some JT65 and surf the web.

I do one hour a week as an NCS on a daily 75 meter net. That I enjoy as I do the first hour on the day I operate, 7 AM EST and I usually have the same guys check in with me every hour I run the net. So I catch up on what they have been up to during the past week.

Summer time is golf time. I am in the shack early in the morning then I go play 18 holes, 4-5 days a week. I spend a an hour or so in the shack during the evenings or afternoons.

I think you need to try some different modes as suggested. If you can operate digital mode then spend some time doing that. JT65 has exploded during the past couple of years.

Maybe I would not spend as much time in my shack as I do if my main computer was in another room. But this is my man cave so here I sit.  Grin

Take a break from the hobby if need be, sooner or later your interest will come back.

Rick VE3FMC
KF7ITG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 07:08:49 PM »

OK .... So go to the airport and get your Pilots License. Tons of fun things to do out there. Then come back and do radio once a month if that enough to satisfy your need. Maybe go buy yourself a Honda XR650R. When was the last time you jumped out of an airplane? .......... Then maybe after a year hiatus radio will be fun again. I never completely quit a hobby and I never get rid of my equipment for any of my hobbies. Just never know when the bug will bite again. Have fun with your dilemma. Look at it as an opportunity to try something new. But do come back.

James
KF7ITG.  73s
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 11:35:17 PM »

So go to the airport and get your Pilots License. Tons of fun things to do out there. Then come back and do radio once a month if that enough to satisfy your need. Maybe go buy yourself a Honda XR650R. When was the last time you jumped out of an airplane?

Sorry! Can't resist.  If you don't have the aptitude to be a pilot, the last suggestion may happen automatically!
Tom
G0VKT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 04:57:02 AM »

I have been licensed for about 29 years. I have drifted in and out of the hobby several times. I was just getting back into it again when my marriage broke up and I am not in a position to have a proper home station at the moment. So, I am going down the mobile HF route and have started getting things together. I will use my IC-706 and fit the antennas properly by drilling holes for the antenna mounts. In addition I will put in a dedicated 2M radio and one for 4M. Al good fun.

Must be having a bit of a midlife crisis though. I am in the process of getting my motor bike license. On Friday I bought a Suzuki GSXR 400. Very pleased, but just need to do the test now. Grin
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: