Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relearning CW  (Read 7105 times)
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 07:42:47 AM »

Hi Ray ; I would encourage you to look up FISTS CW on your web browser and send for their two FREE MP3 CD's of morse tutoring. No voices to be heard, just Morse.Instructions, menu and answers are all on those two MP3's. Cannot beat the quality or price. Takes you from beginner to expert level.
  73 de n8aft
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 09:22:22 AM »

Throughout the solar cycles, I have never had a serious problem copying W1AW transmissions at least on some bands and with modest antennas.

I've managed to catch W1AW occasionally. There are timezone issues and the schedule to be juggled (so at best maybe 3 slow-code slots a week I might be able to listen for), and the relevant frequency to be found. Nine times out of ten when I've gone listening for a slow code practice session it seems they've chosen a frequency that's not getting across the ocean (which is fine - it's a service for US hams, after all).

They also have MP3 files on the ARRL site that you can listen to at your leisure.

M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 03:05:46 PM »

They also have MP3 files on the ARRL site that you can listen to at your leisure.

The mp3 files use a fixed sidetone frequency, but when you tune to the broadcasts you get the sidetone frequency you prefer. This can make a huge difference to the listeners comfort...
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 03:29:14 PM »

The mp3 files use a fixed sidetone frequency, but when you tune to the broadcasts you get the sidetone frequency you prefer. This can make a huge difference to the listeners comfort...
most standards are 700 and 750 defaults that I've seen. What do you use?
Besides, that's an incentive to learn so you can set it up the way you want.
You can satisfy all of the people all of the time...  Grin

M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 04:26:47 PM »

Usually something close to 440 Hz.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 08:43:35 PM »

Usually something close to 440 Hz.
A above middle C? You must be a musician with perfect pitch or something.
I think it was Schumann that was driven mad by hearing an A pitch hallucination continuously being struck in his head.
Try 700HZ... you might like it.  Grin

M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 02:36:24 AM »

Try 700HZ... you might like it.  Grin

I started with the usual defaults (it was 600 Hz on LCWO, I think) and wondered for a while why I could only stand to listen to it for a minute or so at a time. Someone suggested trying different pitches. Higher pitches didn't get any better, but going lower made a difference.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: