Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote coax and remote tuner, can they work together?  (Read 2485 times)
KF7ZCH

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2013, 07:31:15 PM »

I have an ameritron 4 position remote coax switch that uses power from the coax feedline.  I also have a remote tuner that uses power through the feedline.  Can they both be hooked up together?  Will they both get power?  Could there be complications?
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 07:52:52 PM »

I have an ameritron 4 position remote coax switch that uses power from the coax feedline.  I also have a remote tuner that uses power through the feedline.  Can they both be hooked up together?  Will they both get power?  Could there be complications?
If the 4-position switch uses the coax to apply DC momentarily to step, you might be able to use a couple of diodes on the remote end such that + on the center conductor and - on the shield would turn on the tuner, where - on the center conductor and + on the shield would step the remote switch.  That is, if neither flip polarity to do something like reset, etc.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 09:53:03 PM »

This may be difficult to do. As recommended by Ameritron in the manual of the remote switch I'd talk to them about your plans. You did not say what tuner you are using. So it is not possible to see what solution they use to power it.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 01:40:29 AM »

Yes they can as long as the combined current drain does not exceed the rating of the Bias T used at the shack end. You will most likely need to put in a bias T on the feedline to the switch, not after the switch. This may or may not require modification of the remote tuner if it is a MFJ model.
KF7ZCH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 07:35:38 AM »

It is the MFJ  300 watt remote tuner
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 03:42:16 AM »

I think your best bet would be to ask MFJ if it's possible to use both of those devices at the same time.  They would certainly have a better idea about it than most of us who don't have that switch and tuner can say.
 - 'Doc
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 04:14:39 AM »

In a word: No.  The RCS-4 uses four different voltages to select the antennas. It sends +12V for one, -12V for 2, 12V AC for 3 and 0 (zero) volts for 4.   Your tuner requires +12V

Clint - W5CPT -
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 06:48:17 AM »

Many tuners have terminals for sending a separate voltage up to them by adding a two-wire cable alongside the coax. 

Then you could keep the Remote Coax Switch as-is, sending the voltages down the coax, but control the tuner via the separate wire pair. 
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 10:42:10 AM »

This is doable for 2 of RCS-4 positions (+12 and AC) after adding a diode and a capacitor. But there may be current limitations.
Ignacy, NO9E

W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 04:39:49 PM »

This is doable for 2 of RCS-4 positions (+12 and AC) after adding a diode and a capacitor. But there may be current limitations.
Ignacy, NO9E
Thanks Ignacy for giving me a hint on this.

Actually you could do this in first three positions if your tuner will operate at a little less than 12V.  If you were to build your power tap using a full wave bridge it would always provide +12V DC.  A full wave bridge would out put +12V no matter what you put in +12V or -12V or 12VAC .  The output will be a little less due to the voltage drop of the diodes in the bridge.

Position 4 of the RCS-4 outputs NO voltage so that antenna would have to be resonant on the chosen frequency as the tuner would be disabled.  You would have to have the tap first - then the tuner - then the switching box.

Clint - W5CPT -
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: