Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boat anchors at Field Day  (Read 4070 times)
WB0CJB

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2013, 09:08:17 AM »

How many have someone in their club who think that bringing an older rig (TR-4C, TS-520S, FT-101EE, SB series Heathkits) has no place at Field Day? That your rig MUST be computer controlled?

Granted those rigs have inherent phase noise and some diehard contest types cringe over it but as long as the rig doesn't splatter all over the spectrum and is stable it should not matter if someone brings one.You have to use that gray mass between your ears instead of having a computer to do all of your functioning for you.

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 01:54:17 PM »

How many have someone in their club who think that bringing an older rig (TR-4C, TS-520S, FT-101EE, SB series Heathkits) has no place at Field Day? That your rig MUST be computer controlled?

Granted those rigs have inherent phase noise and some diehard contest types cringe over it but as long as the rig doesn't splatter all over the spectrum and is stable it should not matter if someone brings one.You have to use that gray mass between your ears instead of having a computer to do all of your functioning for you.

Actually the phase noise of those rigs you mention is very low. They're all analog.

Here are the real reasons not to bring older rigs to a multi-multi Field Day unless you REALLY know what you're doing:

1) Many ops - both new and old - don't have any idea of how to operate them. Unless you can sit by the rig and make sure everyone who uses it knows how, be prepared for trouble with a capital T

2) Some older rigs have not-so-hot dynamic range and will have a hard time in a multi-multi setup.

3) The IF filters in some older rigs will be challenged by the contest environment

4) Some older rigs are fussy about line voltage and quality.

5) Some older rigs are bigger and heavier than their modern counterparts.

6) Interfacing to a computer can be more complicated.

This is not to say it can't be done. See QST for June 1994, page 55.

73 de Jim, N2EY

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 05:06:22 PM »

I like the simpler analog rigs for Field Day.  One of the best I've used is a
highly modified SB-104 that has been the mainstay of a local club for several
years.  Has digital frequency display, but otherwise is all analog, without a lot
of menus or extra knobs to confuse people.

The main reason I don't use boat anchors with tubes on Field Day is the
current draw when I'm running 5 watts from batteries.  But for a generator
station they can still work well, as long as the operators know how to dip
and load the finals (which is getting to be a lost art in some groups.)

In fact we've been talking about trying out some boat anchors for Field Day
in a future year:  we have a good collection of rigs from the 1930s through 1960s
to choose from.  Maybe H-W Bandmaster with a Super-Pro...
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 06:19:32 PM »

Good choice for GOTA station, since always experienced operator present.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 04:25:09 PM »

Where does one get the idea that a tube radio without a PLL anywhere in it would have phase noise?  Yes they have their shortcomings but phase noise isn't one3 of them.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 05:50:23 AM »

Our club does a 75m AM demonstration. So boat anchors are used. As far as I am concerned, modern rigs compete better in harsh environments and require less power.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 10:59:15 AM »

Nonsense.  There are no valid reasons for not bringing any radio to field day!  Smiley

Field Day is meant for fun, friendship and sharing experiences.  My favorite reasons for showing up are playing with radios I'm not familiar with and talking with people.

Every radio has strengths and weaknesses, but those are not reasons to prohibit anyone from bring radios out for the day.

b. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: