Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 14073 LSB ?  (Read 9657 times)
N6SBN

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:38:37 AM »

I am picking up PSK31 on LSB ...    Is this right?
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 10:22:18 AM »

You can use either sideband with PSK31 as long as the signal is in your receiver's passband.

Convention is to use USB with PSK31, but using LSB does make it easier to switch back and forth between RTTY and PSK31.

But, by being unconventional, folks may have difficulty understanding what frequency you are using.

Zack Lau W1VT
N6SBN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »

When I switched to USB, I lost their signals.    Now, the guy on the water fall was about 100 years old and may have had his radio out of adjustment.   N6SBN
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 01:43:04 PM »

When you switch a modern transceiver from LSB to USB, the signal will appear to move in frequency by 3KHz. BPSK, the most common mode of PSK31, is not polarity sensitive so you can decode it with the receiver set to USB or LSB - provided you adjust the VFO on the radio to re-tune the signal.

Most people use USB for PSK31 so that their VFO dial reads the same frequency as everybody else.

I just noticed your subject. If you set your VFO dial to 14073 and select LSB then most of the stations will be off your waterfall (unless you have software configured for LSB instead of USB). If you copied that station then he wasn't operating where the normal PSK31 gang hangs out - or you have both your software and radio configured for LSB.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:48:09 PM by AA4PB » Logged
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 05:54:09 AM »

I know this might sound counter-intuitive, but setting your mode to LSB actually moves the signals UP 3 KHz. If you set your radio to USB and tune to 14.070 then switch to LSB and tune to 14.073, you will see all the same signals in pretty much the same place on the waterfall. But as others have said, the convention is to use USB.

As far as switching between PSK and AFSK RTTY (which normally uses LSB), HRD automatically reverses the polarity for just this reason so you can leave your radio in USB, but the signals will come out the right way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: