Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI Solution for the Davis Vantage Vue WX Station  (Read 3567 times)
N0YK

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2013, 05:44:37 AM »

Hello All,

I've had a Davis Vantage Vue weather station in my backyard for a couple of years now. The Vue is near my 144/1296 MHz antenna's which I run fair amounts of power to. For the last two years, I'm been fighting RFI blitzing out the computer on the Vue. Now this isn't unexpected but does require a fair amount of effort to fix. The battery must be pulled from the Vue, then let it set overnight to drain the super capacitor and do a full power off reboot. Normally you lose at least 8-10 hours of data each time this happens. There is no way to get into the circuit to open the power form the capacitor since it's all enclosed in an epoxy. Quite a mess! I've had numerous calls into Davis, they were of no help on this issue. I knew it came down to poor shedding on the Vue, just wasn't sure if a fix was possible.

So, this weekend I finally decided enough is enough and tin foiled all the internal wires and around the main board.

Wallah! I pointed by yagi's at the weather station and directed the standard 5kW ERP at it. No effects. I'm relieved to have finally fixed this and wanted to share with the community in case anyone else is experiencing the same problems.

See modification here: http://tinypic.com/r/2r7uekw/5

Feel free to email me with any questions.

Chad
N0YK
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 07:10:13 AM »

...I pointed by yagi's at the weather station and directed the standard 5kW ERP at it....

Standard 5kw??!?  What are you running, a commercial broadcast station?   Grin
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:11:58 AM »

Nice!  I take it this is a wireless device?  
N0YK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 07:36:43 AM »

Yes, the Vue operations on 900 Mhz I believe, 1000' range to console.

K1CJS - lol, funny stuff. Amazing what antenna gain (10dBd plus) and a little power can do for your Effective Radiated Power (ERP).
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 05:23:26 AM »

Figured it was something like that, but the abbreviated way you stated it...  Well, I just couldn't resist!  73!
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 06:29:10 AM »

Hello All,

I've had a Davis Vantage Vue weather station in my backyard for a couple of years now. The Vue is near my 144/1296 MHz antenna's which I run fair amounts of power to. For the last two years, I'm been fighting RFI blitzing out the computer on the Vue. Now this isn't unexpected but does require a fair amount of effort to fix. The battery must be pulled from the Vue, then let it set overnight to drain the super capacitor and do a full power off reboot. Normally you lose at least 8-10 hours of data each time this happens. There is no way to get into the circuit to open the power form the capacitor since it's all enclosed in an epoxy. Quite a mess! I've had numerous calls into Davis, they were of no help on this issue. I knew it came down to poor shedding on the Vue, just wasn't sure if a fix was possible.

So, this weekend I finally decided enough is enough and tin foiled all the internal wires and around the main board.

Wallah! I pointed by yagi's at the weather station and directed the standard 5kW ERP at it. No effects. I'm relieved to have finally fixed this and wanted to share with the community in case anyone else is experiencing the same problems.

See modification here: http://tinypic.com/r/2r7uekw/5

Feel free to email me with any questions.

Chad
N0YK

Nice inexpensive fix. I've also heard of people putting toroids on all the cables too. I just bought mine a few weeks ago. Hope to get it on APRS and do some Raspberry Pi hacking to make some remote displays too. Just need lots of time Wink
N5GE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 08:05:30 AM »

Thanks for that!

I will try it this week!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: