Author Topic: Rant  (Read 50630 times)
K0JEG

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2013, 06:12:17 AM »

NO ANTENNAS!

OK to have yappy out of control dogs that bark at everything that moves

OK to pull the muffler on your "hog" and rev it up at 8:00 on Sunday morning

OK to park your boat on the street for a month

OK to let your cat wonder the neighborhood leaving dead birds and other "presents" on the neighbor's property

Now, for the most part, I don't care about any of that. But it really feels like I'm being singled out for my hobby, while everyone else seems to get a pass. No specific rules in the covenants about straight pipe Harleys, yet very specific (several paragraphs) rules covering antennas. I'm not saying it's worthy of a sit in or a march on Washington, but when I get messages from international hams on Goggle+ asking why I put antennas in the attic (in countries that are less "free" than the US), it really makes me wonder...

<rant off>
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 07:08:11 AM »

Easy solution:

Buy a new Harley fully equipped with a ManPac HF radio and whoop antenna along with a cheap blue tarp for inclement weather,get the optional small bike trailer which will hold an Avon inflatable dingy.

Buy a small yappie alarm dog/pet and keep hooked to your Harley for theft deterence.

Get a free kitten from the humane shelter and teach it to shit on other peoples property. Wink
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 08:12:03 AM »

I bet your CC&Rs don't prohibit mobile antennas. Some hams mount a screwdriver antenna on the car, park it in the driveway, and run the coax and control cable into the house. I have used a similar setup and it can work well on 40-10 meters.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 11:05:30 AM »

Some hams mount a screwdriver antenna on the car, park it in the driveway, and run the coax and control cable into the house.

Why stop there.  Use one of those mobile tower trailers like the one holding up the SteppIR beam at Dayton.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 11:33:52 AM »

A " rip off" from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki
Slowdown Rulebook slowdown Another form of slowdown is known as the rulebook slowdown. This refers to the "rule books" that govern workers' actions, usually either for safety or quality purposes. In practice, many rules are loosely interpreted in the interest of efficiency. A union seeking to employ a slowdown tactic may take advantage of these common rule oversights by having workers "work to rule," obeying each and every rule to the fullest extent, which consequently will greatly reduce productivity.. ... For instance, many subways are required to keep doors open for a certain amount of time at each stop, whereas in practice doors are often closed sooner. Likewise, a bus driver typically may take the same liberties with traffic law that drivers do, and are often overloaded with passengers, whilst an experienced pilot can safely fly in some inclement weather. In a "rule-book" slowdown, the bus driver may drive more slowly and conservatively and with a proper passenger load, while the pilot may refuse to fly in mildly inclement weather.   """

If you have the time or the money and like to fight.... Find out what the local 'rules' are, make sure that you don't break them, and start to report, on a daily basis the infractions that you find - Like they say to voters in Chicago, early and often. And, the most important (this is where the money comes in), talk to an attorney. Find one that deals with contract law and HOas. You could try to get elected to the HOA Board. Have you asked fer an antenna?

KLC

K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 09:03:36 PM »

I agree....CC&R's with NO ANTENNAS are a bummer. I don't understand why at least "reasonable accomodation", such as a multi-band vertical or similar should be allowed in an HOA community. HOWEVER, when you purchased the house, you signed off on the CC&R's. You signed a private contract between yourself and the builder/community to abide by the provisions of the CC&R's. With all due respect, you have no one to blame but yourself. Complaining about it after the fact is an exercise in futility. I feel your pain, as I also live in an antenna restricted community. However, I read the CC&R's, bought the house with knowledge of the restriction, and still operate using stealth antennas with satisfactory results. Where there's a will, there's a way. 
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 12:24:40 AM »

Use those yapper dogs as traps on a vertical and run legal limit through them see if your signal improves  Cheesy

I hear ya, I'm in the same boat but knew about the HOA antenna restrictions - no ham antenna greater than 9 feet high and I have to apply for variance.  I have a zero five 29 ft multiband vertical on a fold over mount.  When in use (usually in the evening) it goes up and early morning before work I drop it.  Sometimes it's up all weekend.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 05:57:04 AM »

I agree....CC&R's with NO ANTENNAS are a bummer. I don't understand why at least "reasonable accomodation", such as a multi-band vertical or similar should be allowed in an HOA community. HOWEVER, when you purchased the house, you signed off on the CC&R's. You signed a private contract between yourself and the builder/community to abide by the provisions of the CC&R's. With all due respect, you have no one to blame but yourself. Complaining about it after the fact is an exercise in futility. I feel your pain, as I also live in an antenna restricted community. However, I read the CC&R's, bought the house with knowledge of the restriction, and still operate using stealth antennas with satisfactory results. Where there's a will, there's a way. 

Actually, like I said, there are several paragraphs concerning antennas, including number, placement and height. Mostly geared to satellite dishes, but nothing specifically against other antennas. And I don't live in an area covered by an HOA, but the whole community is covered by covenants. It's unincorporated land, so there's no "government" as in a normal town. That's actually not a bad thing, but in order to get basic functions of a government we all had to sign  the contract. Other neighborhoods in the community do have very active HOAs (and more services covered by the community too), and I am rolling the dice to some extent. I put up a weather station a few weeks ago and am waiting to see if there's any fallout. It's 15' up in the back yard and not visible from the street. There's nothing in the rules about weather stations, so I'm sure there's not much they can do about it. HOWEVER, I also have a HyGain 18' vertical that is every bit as impossible to see from the street, that I'm willing to paint camo colors if necessary, but because it's an antenna technically I'll have to get permission from the architectural committee.

Hmmm. Maybe if I plop the weather station on top of the antenna and call it a mast...
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 06:13:38 AM »

Thanks for the support guys. I know all the ways to get around the rules, I just wonder why so many rules specifically for antennas and few to none for everyone else's hobby.

Of course, out my back window I have a large electrical transmission line (about 12 insulators each on 3 phases). The way the sun is hitting the cables just now it looks downright beautiful to me (although it does destroy 80M). But considering the number of people who think they cause cancer and are an eyesore I guess I'm an oddball.
KA8VIT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 04:47:40 AM »

What I don't understand is, why a ham, would buy a place where they know they have CCRs, sign an agreement, and then get upset when they can't put up an antenna ?

73 - Bill KA8VIT
W1AJO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 06:04:30 AM »

What I don't understand is, why a ham, would buy a place where they know they have CCRs, sign an agreement, and then get upset when they can't put up an antenna ?

73 - Bill KA8VIT

Because often there are no alternatives.  EVERY new sub-divison since at least 1995 (and probabbly earlier) around Newnan GA has CCRs & HOAs.  There are no HOA free new homes in Newnan GA.

I had less than 6 weeks to move my family to Georgia from Florida when I was deployed to Iraq in 2007 for a year.  No time to find land that wasn't under CCRs and build a new home. 
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 06:07:26 AM »

73 - Bill KA8VIT

Because there's more to life than ham radio, at least for some of us.

And I can put up an antenna, but it has to meet the approval of the architectural committee. Because I have neither the funds nor the inclination to put up a 100' tower and a 3 el beam I should have no problem meeting the committee's (and agreement's) requirements. I just want to complain to a (reasonably) friendly ear over the covenants that say nothing about parking your party barge on the street all month, while including very specific (and sometimes ignored in the case of satellite dishes) rules about placement and visibility of antennas in the community.
KA8VIT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 09:05:39 AM »

I understand there are other things to life, or that we sometime have to move in a short period of time.

But you willingly made the agreement !

73 - Bill KA8VIT
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 08:10:09 AM »

I moved to Arizona just over 2 years ago, HOA houses were the best so that is were we moved in, I have 3 thin low elevated verticals on the side of the house 10m,20m&40m & a 2m/440 jpole. Making contacts & on the air, no word from HOA yet & hope not to hear from them, bottom line is, I will always have some form of antennas regardless of what they do or say......They we never stop me....73 K1WJ
WE0Z

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 04:31:22 AM »

The real question to pose is why does a ham buy property or move into a domicile that has antenna restrictions? Every house I ever bought the first question to be answered by my agent was "does this property have any antenna i attached to it?" and if it does I am not interested.
I read these complaints often on the boards about covenants against antennas and it puzzles me that one would consider this kind of permant property purchase knowing in advance that you will NOT be able to pursue the hobby to it's fullest!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: