About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rant  (Read 52156 times)
W1AJO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 10:05:57 AM »

The real question to pose is why does a ham buy property or move into a domicile that has antenna restrictions? Every house I ever bought the first question to be answered by my agent was "does this property have any antenna i attached to it?" and if it does I am not interested.
I read these complaints often on the boards about covenants against antennas and it puzzles me that one would consider this kind of permant property purchase knowing in advance that you will NOT be able to pursue the hobby to it's fullest!

As I posted 5 posts up:

Because often there are no alternatives.  EVERY new sub-divison since at least 1995 (and probabbly earlier) around Newnan GA has CCRs & HOAs.  There are no HOA free new homes in Newnan GA.

I had less than 6 weeks to move my family to Georgia from Florida when I was deployed to Iraq in 2007 for a year.  No time to find land that wasn't under CCRs and build a new home. 
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 10:25:59 AM »

Not only that, but asking your agent if the property has any antenna restrictions that would apply to your potential ham antenna is like asking a used car salesman if the car you are about to buy from him has any maintenance issues.  Wink
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 11:12:54 AM »

I had less than 6 weeks to move my family to Georgia from Florida when I was deployed to Iraq in 2007 for a year.  No time to find land that wasn't under CCRs and build a new home. 

Then you are a rare exception. Very few people need to make housing decisions on the spur of the moment. Most people have the luxury of taking months to find a new place. On my last move, I was looking at properties for probably five months before I found what I was looking for.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »

Not only that, but asking your agent if the property has any antenna restrictions that would apply to your potential ham antenna is like asking a used car salesman if the car you are about to buy from him has any maintenance issues.  Wink

The solution to this is to insist on a clause in the purchase contract that the property is free of any CC&R restrictions or zoning issues that would preclude erection of a tower and/or antenna. Once this is in the contract, you can back out of the sale if you discover such a restriction does indeed exist. A realtor cannot hide potential issues when you have such a provision clearly spelled out in the contract.

If you do this, you then need to do your due diligence by researching the property to make sure that no restrictions are in effect. The contract clause is there primarily to give you time to do this. You could, of course, do this research before you agree to buy the property, but then there's the possibility that someone else may snatch it up out from under you.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 11:52:34 AM »

Yes, you can back out of the sale BEFORE you go to closing. However, once you close it is yours.

I've been through the "pressure cooker" of having to find a new house in a limited amount of time in order to be ready for a company move. It's not easy. Considerations other than my hobby included commute distance for my wife and I, quality of schools for the kids, distance to the schools (one hobby friendly property would have require a 1 hour bus ride each way for the kids), distance to shopping, etc. For many people, ham radio is a hobby and considerations for the rest of the family come first. The idea that "its your own fault if you have antenna restrictions" just doesn't cut it any more.
AC7DX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »

yes..lets blame everyone else for you having antenna restrictions
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 04:36:09 PM »

I'm always impressed with the folks that have lived in HOA/CCR housing for years and THEN get into ham radio.I don't see them moving out and they still get on the air.Where there is a will there is a way as prooven in many of the back posts of this very issue.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 10:01:44 AM »

The real question to pose is why does a ham buy property or move into a domicile that has antenna restrictions? Every house I ever bought the first question to be answered by my agent was "does this property have any antenna i attached to it?" and if it does I am not interested.
I read these complaints often on the boards about covenants against antennas and it puzzles me that one would consider this kind of permant property purchase knowing in advance that you will NOT be able to pursue the hobby to it's fullest!

You must not have kids or a family because when we purchased our houses the first thing I considered was if the neighbor was good for my family, was it safe, did it suit the kids and would my wife be happy. As much as I love it Ham Radio is only a hobby. My family's needs are first and foremost and if that meant moving into a neighbor with CCR's so be it.

K2GWK Website

Stupidity for Dummies (http://stupidityfordummies.com/)

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 04:44:36 PM »

You must not have kids or a family because when we purchased our houses the first thing I considered was if the neighbor was good for my family, was it safe, did it suit the kids and would my wife be happy. As much as I love it Ham Radio is only a hobby. My family's needs are first and foremost and if that meant moving into a neighbor with CCR's so be it.

You seem to think that "CC&Rs" and "good, safe neighborhood" are synonymous. That's nonsense. I've seen plenty of neighborhoods that didn't have CC&Rs that were safe, with good neighbors, and in good school districts. I've also seen neighborhoods that did have CC&Rs that were home to druggies, hoodlums, and were in crappy school districts.

Good neighborhoods without antenna restrictions are out there, but you have to search them out -- the lazy approach doesn't work.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 12:00:33 PM »

NO ANTENNAS!

OK to have yappy out of control dogs that bark at everything that moves

OK to pull the muffler on your "hog" and rev it up at 8:00 on Sunday morning

OK to park your boat on the street for a month

OK to let your cat wonder the neighborhood leaving dead birds and other "presents" on the neighbor's property

Now, for the most part, I don't care about any of that. But it really feels like I'm being singled out for my hobby, while everyone else seems to get a pass. No specific rules in the covenants about straight pipe Harleys, yet very specific (several paragraphs) rules covering antennas. I'm not saying it's worthy of a sit in or a march on Washington, but when I get messages from international hams on Goggle+ asking why I put antennas in the attic (in countries that are less "free" than the US), it really makes me wonder...

<rant off>
Can you put up a flag pole?

Yup.  Flag Pole Vertical.

A couple of years ago, I picked up one of those "portable" fiberglass flag poles that are sold for the RV community.  Finally had a chance to deploy it right before Memorial Day.  Looks great.  More importantly, since it's hollow inside, it's a piece of cake to run a #14 wire the length of it, simply feed at the base and add a few radials.  

The price has gone up a little since I picked mine up, although I'm sure there are other suppliers; here's some to consider:  
http://www.ebay.com/itm/22-ft-Telescopic-Fiberglass-Dlx-Flagpole-Collapsable-Pole-w-Chrome-Ball-Flag-/390439077220?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae7fb8564
http://www.ebay.com/itm/22-fiberglass-flag-pole-/261082473578?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc9ba646a

But that's temporary... and it's main purpose was to make certain that the boss was OK with a flag pole in front of the "new" front deck.

I also have a small collection of 4 foot aluminum pole... formerly tent poles, military surplus.  There's quite a few guys selling them at a couple of bucks each at most larger hamfests.  I originally had a 24 foot flag pole made out of these, but it turned out to be (esthetically) too tall for the house.  I'm going to be using it as a "demo" antenna at N3SH Field Day, then will be taking out a few sections and permanently mount it in front of the house as a 16' or so "flag pole".  (I have one fiberglass section, which will be going into the ground -- with concrete -- as the base & bottom insulator, and it will have a "shield" of PVC pipe for weather-related purposes)

Rope, lanyard, and other misc. hardware are available for a few bucks from your local big box hardware store.    Total cost for the antenna will be under $30 when all is said & done (not including radial wires)

There's always a way.  You just have to be creative.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:03:11 PM by W3WN » Logged
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 01:24:19 PM »

There's always a way.  You just have to be creative.

Unfortunately it's a lot easier to complain than to get off your butt and do something.
W1AJO

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 06:49:09 PM »

You seem to think that "CC&Rs" and "good, safe neighborhood" are synonymous. That's nonsense. I've seen plenty of neighborhoods that didn't have CC&Rs that were safe, with good neighbors, and in good school districts. I've also seen neighborhoods that did have CC&Rs that were home to druggies, hoodlums, and were in crappy school districts.

Good neighborhoods without antenna restrictions are out there, but you have to search them out -- the lazy approach doesn't work.

Maybe in MARTINEZ, CA that is true but in Newnan GA it is not.  Unless you get land out in the county anywhere that you would live with your family has CCRs.
KL3HY

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 03:18:41 PM »

You seem to think that "CC&Rs" and "good, safe neighborhood" are synonymous.

I didn't get that from what he wrote at all.  I think it's clear that a good, safe neighborhood is a higher priority to him than the existence of CC&Rs.  Nowhere do I see that he seems to equate the two.

Mike
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 07:03:35 AM »

A title search (needed when you BUY) will list the restrictions found on a piece of real estate. If you lease, the landlord may be unwilling to say, or you may be unwilling to ask.  I spoke to an individual recently whose landlord SAID there WERE restrictions when there were not (the don't blame ME trick).  Since there no restrictions in the lease, either,  the fellow got to put up an antenna. 
WD4HXG

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 06:14:38 AM »

I understand there are other things to life, or that we sometime have to move in a short period of time.

But you willingly made the agreement !

73 - Bill KA8VIT

Yep, willingly. If I do not sign off off on the restrictions then you will not sell to me. Perhaps grocers should not sell to buyers without buyers acceptance of restrictions on how the products are prepared and used?
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: