Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ - What more can be said...  (Read 74647 times)
N4SZO

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2014, 08:36:53 AM »

Just bought a new MFJ 949E Tuner and it arrives tonight. Crossing my fingers it will work out of the box as a friend just reminded me about a larger mfj tuner that had rattles out of the box years ago.  OTOH, I was loaned a MFJ packet modem and a small tuner many years ago and both worked fine.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2014, 08:52:51 AM »

Re: N4SZO

Don't forget SOP on any MFJ product before use, Pop the cover and give a quick eyeball for anything possibly amiss i.e. loose solder joints/screws/nuts and a check with VOM for continuity/shorts on major connection and switch points.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2014, 10:07:54 AM »

If you want to see the shoddy workmanship of MFJ, go to the current issue of QST (Apr. 14 2014, p.61) a short review of the MFJ-902B Ant tuner.

The picture of the thing clearly shows the bow in the top of the cover - at least 1/16"! Looks like something that came out of a high school shop project. I hope people look at that picture before they buy any MFJ products.

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2014, 10:41:56 AM »

Re: N5INP

A picture is worth a thousand words, but can anybody tell me where in those thousand words the bowed cover originated from?, manufacturer, shipping or possibly dropped on the floor while unpacking unit in Hartford? I don't subscribe to QST but would be interested in the percentage of their Ad revenues (if any) from MFJ compared to the other Big Three advertisers.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2014, 11:12:42 AM »

Re: N5INP

A picture is worth a thousand words, but can anybody tell me where in those thousand words the bowed cover originated from?, manufacturer, shipping or possibly dropped on the floor while unpacking unit in Hartford? I don't subscribe to QST but would be interested in the percentage of their Ad revenues (if any) from MFJ compared to the other Big Three advertisers.

I don't know, but it's interesting that a clearly obvious shoddy cabinet was allowed to get into a published review like that. May be a subliminal message from the reviewer.  Shocked

N4SZO

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2014, 02:53:03 PM »

Don't forget SOP on any MFJ product before use, Pop the cover and give a quick eyeball for anything possibly amiss i.e. loose solder joints/screws/nuts and a check with VOM for continuity/shorts on major connection and switch points.

It's waiting for me when I get off work. Will give it a check over..thanks..
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2014, 07:06:21 PM »

If you want to see the shoddy workmanship of MFJ, go to the current issue of QST (Apr. 14 2014, p.61) a short review of the MFJ-902B Ant tuner.

The picture of the thing clearly shows the bow in the top of the cover - at least 1/16"! Looks like something that came out of a high school shop project. I hope people look at that picture before they buy any MFJ products.

High School? It looks like something I did for a Middle School science/electronic fair project.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
N4SZO

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2014, 08:09:55 PM »

It's waiting for me when I get off work. Will give it a check over..thanks..

Well it came in and had no rattles. Loaded up fine on 40 meters though I had some arcing on 80 till I got it tuned in correctly. How normal is this?
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2014, 05:00:25 AM »

What's NORMAL will depend on many variables with your set up. Did you refer to the operating manual which specifically mentions potential problems when tuning 80 meters due to certain feed lines and antenna types used? You mentioned no rattles, does this mean you just shook, plugged and played or did you actually check out the inside?
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2014, 08:21:11 AM »

What would you do if MFJ closed its doors? Do you think another nut would put up with all your complaints and bellyaching and still supply hams with the hundreds of products MFJ does? Be careful what you wish for because you wil not be happy if this company was not around. You should be thanking them for all they do for our hobby and for all the bankrupt companies they have rescued.

I must be the luckiest person in the world. I've been purchasing new and used items from MFJ and its affiliates since 1978. I own at least a dozen of their products from HF tube and solid state amps, various meters, rotors, antennas, switches, buffers, etc. Everthing I owned or have owned as worked as advertised. I reallly feel for all these unlucky hams who always seem to end up with the malfunctiong equipment, lucky me.
WA6KYR

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2014, 11:08:38 AM »

MFJ does a major service selling all those impossible to find gagets
that they offer.   I buy a lot of there electronic parts.  Some of there stuff is not sold by anyone else.  I am glad they rescued all those companies that would have gone away if not for them.   Think about it
 Grin
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: