Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gigaparts doesn't do what they say....  (Read 36547 times)
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 05:46:34 PM »

Actually shipping with UPS or FedEx from the start involves them, start to finish.

FedEx uses the USPS for a lot of deliveries. A few years ago, it was more than 30 percent: http://cepobserver.com/2011/12/fedex-uses-usps-for-30-4-of-ground-shipments. UPS also relies on the USPS.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2013, 06:45:04 PM »

Hi Bradley,

I did not claim US Priority Mail was handled by UPS or FedEx.

WU9F wrote that he specified UPS to ship his order,
UPS then takes the packages to USPS for final delivery.

UPS and FedEx use this same type of arrangement with USPS,
it is a big part of residential deliveries from individuals and companies.

http://www.fedex.com/us/smart-post/outbound.html

73 james

That is completely false....I have no idea where you came up with that.

Priority Mail from the USPS is handled by FedEx on the express delivery side, ie behind-the-scenes on planes if required, and then the mail returns to the Postal system at the other end for delivery.  Actually shipping with UPS or FedEx from the start involves them, start to finish.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 06:52:36 PM by KE4DRN » Logged
KATEKEBO

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 03:26:09 AM »

Actually shipping with UPS or FedEx from the start involves them, start to finish.

I have personally received several shipments in which the sender used FedEx to initiate the shipment (at a FedEx facility), but the actual home-delivery was performed by USPS.  From FedEx web site:

When it comes to low-weight shipping for residential customers, consider the efficient, economical FedEx SmartPost service. By utilizing the U.S. Postal ServiceĀ® for final delivery, FedEx SmartPost reaches every U.S. address, including P.O. boxes and military APO, FPO and DPO destinations. You can even use FedEx SmartPost to ship to Alaska, Hawaii and all U.S. territories.

It seems clear to me that FedEx handles long-distance shipment, but final delivery is made by USPS.
WU9F

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 09:09:43 AM »

Ive been shipping and receiving many many packages for many years and have never seen a UPS or FedEx package delivered by the post office to my home or business.  With either from Huntsville to Nashville is only one day ground always.  I know the post office uses FedEx for some deliveries but never heard of the post office delivering for FedEx. 
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2013, 09:23:33 AM »

Earlier this week I received a package transported by FedEx to my area and then delivered by the USPS. As previously mentioned, USPS has a deal with FedEx to transport packages via their fleet of aircraft.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:26:16 AM by N0YXB » Logged

Vince
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 10:14:12 AM »

There's a writeup on Wikipedia about FedEx's services, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedEx#Operating_units_and_logos

In particular, check out "FedEx SmartPost"
Quote from: Wikipedia
FedEx SmartPost (Grey "Ex"): Consolidates parcels from merchants such as e-commerce and catalog companies and uses the United States Postal Service for the final delivery. Formerly the independent company Parcel Direct until FedEx acquired them for $120M in 2004.
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedEx_SmartPost)

Also, this (cited) statement:

In 2001, FedEx sealed a $9 billion deal with the USPS to transport all of the post office's overnight and express deliveries.
(see http://www.cnbc.com/id/100666367 - this now 12-year-old deal has been extended)
K8ALM

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2013, 11:32:41 AM »

FedEx Smart Post gets sent to USPS for delivery.  Probably why it's rather inexpensive...but takes much longer for actual delivery.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2013, 05:14:21 PM »

hi,

take a look at this tracking number at FedEx website, 61292700752320119118,
this will not work using Google, it shows FedEx has the package and hands
off to USPS SmartPost facility.

If you think about it, USPS is out on the road six days a week,
makes sense for UPS and FedEx to hand off to USPS.

73 james
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 06:53:18 AM »

All,

I recently placed an order with Giga-Parts. The ordering process went FB.  They had the best price on the gear I wanted, and the answers I've received to my questions has been adequate.  The only issue I have with them is the time it takes for them to respond.

I've sent questions to HRO and Texas Towers during normal business hours and I usually received a response within minutes to maybe a hour or two.  However, recent messages I've sent to Giga-Parts has taken no less than a day or more to get a response.   IMO Giga-Parts needs to revise their business model to more responsive to written messages.

Texting and email is more prevalent today than ever.  Maybe it's just me, but I would always rather send a written sales inquiry or question than picking up the phone. If not for anything, just to have a written record of pricing quotes and the information provided by both parties.

KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2013, 07:00:52 AM »

When I ordered an Icom 7700 a few weeks ago, I used the chat tool on GigaParts' website to find out which Heil cable I needed. That's worth trying if you want an immediate response.
WU9F

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2013, 05:38:34 AM »

As I've said before I always had great service from GigaParts until June.  I really felt that was an anomaly so I ordered some new coax on Monday morning this week.  Rebeka took my order and ran my card.  She stated all was well and it would ship Monday and I would recieve an e-mail that evening.  Monday passed with no notification.  Tuesday late afternoon I called to inquire if it had shipped.  It had not.  I was assured it would ship UPS that day and would recieve an e-mail to that effect later that day. 
I got my e-mail last evening.  It did ship... A day late, but it was on the way.  UPS would deliver today so the late shipping was not such a problem.  Then I discovered it was UPS surepost.  It arrived in Nashville last night and was handed off to the post office.  It is now somewhere in their system and is not able to be currently tracked.  I think it will be delivered tomorrow.  That is not so much a problem but correct information should not be impossible to get.
Customer service is still poor.  If you are not going to ship that day, just say so.  If it gets pushed back for some reason, just e-mail or call and let the customer know.  It's not brain surgery and it's only reasonable.  If you were not going to ship that day then say it will be the next day or whatever day.  Finally, they did ship UPS, but not regular.  I would rather have been told out front it would be surepost so I could have an option of another kind of shipping.  In this case it was not a rush order, but I would have paid a little more for shipping not to have it enter the postal system.  Ground was what I expected, not mail or a combination.  I will know enough to ask next time.  I really don't know when it will arrive but at least it is on the way.
The title to this thread is they don't do what they say.  Sadly this is my second experience in a row with this happening.  Overall great people, great price, great product, but customer relations has deteriorated to an unacceptable level.  From now on if I can't go the the brick and mortar store I will likely purchase elsewhere.  Sorry.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2013, 08:13:40 AM »

I have personally received several shipments in which the sender used FedEx to initiate the shipment (at a FedEx facility), but the actual home-delivery was performed by USPS.  From FedEx web site:

When it comes to low-weight shipping for residential customers, consider the efficient, economical FedEx SmartPost service. By utilizing the U.S. Postal ServiceĀ® for final delivery, FedEx SmartPost reaches every U.S. address, including P.O. boxes and military APO, FPO and DPO destinations. You can even use FedEx SmartPost to ship to Alaska, Hawaii and all U.S. territories.

It seems clear to me that FedEx handles long-distance shipment, but final delivery is made by USPS.

No.  It seems clear to me that FedEx uses the USPS for final delivery ONLY for "FedEx SmartPost service".  That is not the only delivery service they offer.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2013, 07:50:36 PM »

hi,

Specify US Priority Mail.

73 james
WU9F

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2013, 03:39:24 PM »

I got my coax today as I expected, and just as I expected, it is a great product at a good price.  It was well packaged as all this shipments are.  If anything it was over packaged and that is a good thing.  I am certainly pleased with that, as I am with anything bought from GigAParts.  My only frustration is with the sales staff or customer service people just not giving accurate information. In this case there was no harm, but it would be nice if they could get their act together.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2013, 01:18:53 PM »

hi,

take a look at this tracking number at FedEx website, 61292700752320119118,
this will not work using Google, it shows FedEx has the package and hands
off to USPS SmartPost facility.

If you think about it, USPS is out on the road six days a week,
makes sense for UPS and FedEx to hand off to USPS.

I its odd, or maybe not that a profitable company like FedEx would hand off parcels to a 'company' that is bleeding money.
73 james
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: